jamesc

polystyrene nucs

OK guys ..... went through our nucs again today. We made them up about two months ago and went through them about a month ago to check mating. The ones that got mated first time around have been put over into full depth boxes. The ones that missed were given a frame of brood and recelled. Most of them missed again.

So .... the polys were made up at the same time and have had three rounds of queens caught out of them.

We need full depth nucs made out of polystyrene to save a lot of heartache.

Who makes full depth polystyrene five or six frame nucs?

Try:

Lorraine Weenink

Apiflora NZ Ltd

1502 State H/Way 29

R D 1

Tauranga 3171

Phone 07 543 0984

Their mini mating nucs are $13-$14 each, you supply your own frames. Photo's below:

mmn.jpg.51418b7290c9e712694da85990cbb11d.jpg

mmn.jpg.51418b7290c9e712694da85990cbb11d.jpg

Manfred used to sell full depth polystyrene nucs here. i think he's no longer on the forum and i don't know if his company 4yourbees still exists. the brand he was selling was "paradise beehives" or something like that.

ceracell is selling some of this brand now. don't know if they sell also the nucs but i do know that you won't like the price. good quality though.

i think the small size of the mini polys is part of their high mating success rate.

but later in life it would be also interesting to see how high supersedure rate is compared to you full depth nucs

What Trevor said . I'm using them and they are brilliant. Bees stomp all over bees that are in wooden boxes. Full Depth hives are great as well. Will be changing gear over to paradise gear over the next season.

My thoughts are that Full depth are the way to go, I use three frame boxes with very good results.

Its unusual for one to miss a mating but there are probably other factors involved.

As far as poly goes another Taupo breeder swears by it.

He gets FD poly mating Nucs from somewhere, Ill Pm you his name.

I intend to buy sheets of 25mm poly and wrap some wooden nucs as a winter trial.

One piece in the deep mat and 4 pieces for the sides, poly taped on.

Try the local new world fish department, ours gives away the poly bins, little long but good for a feeder at the back and cut the floor, fit mesh on underside with wood supports and screws with washers from inside, work real well and cost $10. If u cut floor the FD fit nicely or 3/4 with out floor cut. The ones I get have never had fish in them as they have a liner fitted from the salmon farm.

IMG_0518.JPG.a9f9e93b45539bf3cf155b4d6c417de0.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG.a9f9e93b45539bf3cf155b4d6c417de0.JPG

• Like 5

@Matthew Brajkovich I had same idea few years ago however if you want more than few boxes you will need to drive around a lot and it takes a lot of time to modify them.

@Matthew Brajkovich I had same idea few years ago however if you want more than few boxes you will need to drive around a lot and it takes a lot of time to modify them.

I got thirty for free from one shop and took a few weeks thinking about it once I got them, now take 10minutes to make one max and I also stack them and have nice small bee space between layers. Have added vents in top boxes on angle so water can not flow in.

• Like 2

My two cents on the topic.

Paradise honey -good, but HoneyPaw offer much better balance between quality/price. They require assembling as well, so same costs for shipping.

Lyson and Lega(Italy) ones - don't recommend them.

In Turkey they also have great varieties of 6 frame poly nucs, and the price is just a fraction of their expensive cousins. Those of you who manage to get to the next Apimondia will discover it anyway, so...

On 12/12/2016 at 10:05 PM, jamesc said:

OK guys ..... went through our nucs again today. We made them up about two months ago and went through them about a month ago to check mating. The ones that got mated first time around have been put over into full depth boxes. The ones that missed were given a frame of brood and recelled. Most of them missed again.

So .... the polys were made up at the same time and have had three rounds of queens caught out of them.

We need full depth nucs made out of polystyrene to save a lot of heartache.

Who makes full depth polystyrene five or six frame nucs?

There is a company in wellington that will supply Poly shapes that are CNC cut to any size and shape.

My brother has just had a heap made. 

This outfit isnt a hive supplier just a poly supplier .

They supply shapes in most densities.

I may get some done with castellated corners etc etc.

Very cheap, makes the commercially available poly nus look silly.

If interested James Ill get the company details 

Edited by Philbee
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

I'm certainly interested but my requirements are small. I'd go in with someone else on a production run if that was possible. 

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

There is a company in wellington that will supply Poly shapes that are CNC cut to any size and shape.

My brother has just had a heap made. 

This outfit isnt a hive supplier just a poly supplier .

They supply shapes in most densities.

I may get some done with castellated corners etc etc.

Very cheap, makes the commercially available poly nus look silly.

Yes, lets have a look at them. I was looking at Glynns poly six framers last week ..... beautifull. 

1 hour ago, Rob Stockley said:

I'm certainly interested but my requirements are small. I'd go in with someone else on a production run if that was possible. 

I would like about 4 .

Maybe others would like a few each.

How does freight work, is it always on weight?.

They would be bulky .

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Yes, lets have a look at them. I was looking at Glynns poly six framers last week ..... beautifull. 

In the case of this company a drawing needs to bee supplied to them preferably in the format .DXF which is just a Cad file which I do all the time.

The Nucs My brother did were 5 frames FD and the foam was High density.

They had poly floors and lid with a top bee space.
I suggested a canvas / similar top mat.

What are peoples preferences for Nucs / Mating nucs etc?

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

I would like about 4 .

Maybe others would like a few each.

How does freight work, is it always on weight?.

They would be bulky .

They are flat packs

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

They are flat packs

So you just glue them together ?

Just now, kaihoka said:

So you just glue them together ?

Yes

I intended to design a castellated (square dovetail) design that would be stronger and easier to put together.

Personally I didnt find out about the company until Id just finished a my 800th 3 frame wooden nuc box.

The advantage of poly is its cheap, light weight, warm.

The disadvantage is that the nucs cant reliably be load binded down to a trailer and dragged across country.

However I will do a few and are happy to investigate people requirements but do need to know what is required eg mini, 5 frame FD, 3/4 etc

I can see glueing a heap of these together being an ultra-messy business.. getting glue where you want it on the dovetails, then dealing with surplus.

Does ultra sound welding work with poly ? Ie assemble a nuc, stick it in a sound box ?

Edited by yesbut

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I can see glueing a heap of these together being an ultra-messy business..

No worse than architraves.

Mind you I think the south still rolls with rebated liners

Just now, Philbee said:

No worse than architraves.

Mind you I think the south still rolls with rebated liners

Never has in my business.

• Haha 1

What I like about the paradise boxes is the feeder on top and you can use them as 3frame mating nucs then over winter a 6frame nuc. 

Things I don't like the price and the price 

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Yes

I intended to design a castellated (square dovetail) design that would be stronger and easier to put together.

Personally I didnt find out about the company until Id just finished a my 800th 3 frame wooden nuc box.

The advantage of poly is its cheap, light weight, warm.

The disadvantage is that the nucs cant reliably be load binded down to a trailer and dragged across country.

However I will do a few and are happy to investigate people requirements but do need to know what is required eg mini, 5 frame FD, 3/4 etc

Will you get some poly cut to side and bungy cord them onto your 800 nucs.

The lid could be made to slip over 15cm to help hold them together.

The ends will be tricky. But the poly could be transported flat

I have hive doc nuc ,  I could wrap it in poly if I could get the sheeting