oliver

queen marking

hello all

just wanting to know, what is the best queen catcher and were is the best place to purchase a queen marking kit from ??\

thanks

Oliver

hello all

just wanting to know, what is the best queen catcher and were is the best place to purchase a queen marking kit from ??\

thanks

Oliver

Your fingers are the best Q catcher. Grab the Q by the wings as she walks on the frame. It's easier than you think! Lift her up and with your other hand hold her thorax between your thumb and index finger and let go of her wings. You can then take the marking solution and put a dot on her thorax. I've got marking solution from Ceracell and Ecrotek, and much prefer the Ecrotek product.

Great question! I'm anxious for an answer to!

The five pot lega kit from ecrotec is great. The little dobbers in the lid are perfect for gentle marking without any chance of a flood of paint.

I've tried using the fancy catcher thingy and find it way more difficult than just picking her up. Practice on drones first.

Just pick her up. Queens are tougher than they look, and I've never been stung by one, to the point I wonder if they do sting.

I don't touch her wings though . She may need those to swarm with one day. Just kidding. I still don't touch her wings though

I always mark with a uniposca pen, from behind to prevent paint going in her eyes, while holding her between 2 fingers , gently,, by either size of the thorax.

Shake the pen first and dab a bit out to stop it splurging on her.

Drones are perfect to practice on, they 'really' can't sting

I hold them by the wings no problem and mark them, it doesn't seem to worry them. I used to hold them by the thorax, but wings are easier and I think maybe less risk of "fainting".

I've never been stung by a queen either, but the guy who taught me to breed queens related a story where he was handling a queen in front of someone else, told them how he'd never been stung by a queen over many years of handling them - then of course she promptly stung him. So apparently it does happen :D

• Like 1

The advice is probably all true. However we bought a one-handed-queen-catcher from ecrotek for $23 or there abouts and at a hobby level, I think it is money well spent; if you don't handle queens that often.

thanks everyone, some great help :)

• Like 1

Have a look at this

The Queen catcher has a bayonet style lock in the open position so it does not accidently drop while in use. Propolis sometimes stop that from happening.

The Queen catcher has a bayonet style lock in the open position so it does not accidently drop while in use. Propolis sometimes stop that from happening.

I have never had a problem and I don't clean any propolis off it. I am not sure what you are doing.

The advice is probably all true. However we bought a one-handed-queen-catcher from ecrotek for $23 or there abouts and at a hobby level, I think it is money well spent; if you don't handle queens that often.

I did the same and watched the above video, then practiced with a dozen drones before marking the real deal and it worked really well.

I used a marking pen like in Trev's video - pay attention to the part about getting the pen ready (around the 3-minute mark in the video) so you have a suitable amount of paint ready at the tip of the pen.

A lot of people seem to be comfortable with picking queens up by their fingers so that must be fine also - but I found the above method pretty fool proof for a beginner so I have to promote it. :)

I have never had a problem and I don't clean any propolis off it. I am not sure what you are doing.

Mine accidently dropped while capturing the queen when it was new. Noticed that the design has the lock and used it ever since. I cleaned the propolis for clarity so I do not accidentally damage the queen while closing the "gate" slowly.

Mine accidently dropped while capturing the queen when it was new. Noticed that the design has the lock and used it ever since. I cleaned the propolis for clarity so I do not accidentally damage the queen while closing the "gate" slowly.

Ok. Thanks @P K Tan I will have another look at mine.

I did the same and watched the above video, then practiced with a dozen drones before marking the real deal and it worked really well.

I used a marking pen like in Trev's video - pay attention to the part about getting the pen ready (around the 3-minute mark in the video) so you have a suitable amount of paint ready at the tip of the pen.

A lot of people seem to be comfortable with picking queens up by their fingers so that must be fine also - but I found the above method pretty fool proof for a beginner so I have to promote it. :)

Isn't hard to find the queen amongst the marked drones?

If you want to take the fun out of it then use a different colour for your practice drones (y)

If you want to take the fun out of it then use a different colour for your practice drones (y)

Also, dones dressed like a queen... are they Drag Queens?

I'm afraid the marked drones met their demise after the procedure for that exact reason...they were sacrificed for the greater good.