All I need is a manuka flow...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sure is a bust Dean. i've heard some horror stories of thousands of big commercial guys hives starving out after being choppered in right up north - te hapua, te kao areas, someone told me 3k deaths :eek:.

The Bay/Kerikeri also a bust.

Some guys have done okay(ish) over our way, but my coast sites just got wiped out in the wind and cold, enough to keep them going and that's about it.

Lousy !!!

On the bright side I've learnt so much Manuka is something I've found to be very challenging. I did ask a few old breaks for advice that did help a lot. My biggest lesson was feed pollen.they were getting 1.5 liters of syrup a week.i had my c4 results come in yesterday at 4.2 so was happy .(relief) I can know find a buyer for my massive crop.althòugh I have 100 odd hive now i am still a hobbyist I feel . Love it .

An area we keep bees, there is manuka, but it never really produces much, enough maybe for a spring buildup. A whole heap of hives arrived a month or so back, the hives have not even been supered up, the manuka is going off now....

Hi @myrtle4, otherwise how is the bk around your area generally and in this current season?

i think he was serious. (but talking about next season obviously)

No for sure ... this season .... it just keeps raining and the clover just keeps popping out. It comes hot for a day. Then rains again.

For sure its gotta come hot for more than one day in a row shortly.

Meanwhile, on the coast the manuka is getting some nice flower, but the rain just seems to rain, and rain, and rain.

but the rain just seems to rain, and rain, and rain.

Tell me about it, it's been the most miserable spring ever Top of the South.

I can't believe how much sugar we have fed out and the hives have struggled to get up to a good strength.

My hat goes off to all beekeepers on the West Coast I don't know how you do it!

Oh Hi Frazz .... was just thinking about going back to bed as the rain is pounding down on the roof .... but got queens to go out and bees to feed ,boxes to go on and tracks to greasy to attack in the mighty MAN. And to cap it all there's only 14 shopping days left at Ecrotek!!

How day go getting out of the mud ?

Tell me about it, it's been the most miserable spring ever Top of the South.

I can't believe how much sugar we have fed out and the hives have struggled to get up to a good strength.

My hat goes off to all beekeepers on the West Coast I don't know how you do it!

As a west coast beek I can say it is difficult.

There is a terrific flow on, mixed native Kamahi , Hinau, mahoe, putaputaweta etc , just need nice weather so they can get it.

Had ole mate fly over one of my manuka sites on the weekend . Said a tracks been cut through the block and literally hundreds of hives in there ! Would be about 15ha tops , so my 8 hives would probably be an ok stocking rate , a couple of hundred maybe not ideal . Be fantastic for pollinating though . Guess I'd better go put the trailer on . :(

Had ole mate fly over one of my manuka sites on the weekend . Said a tracks been cut through the block and literally hundreds of hives in there ! Would be about 15ha tops , so my 8 hives would probably be an ok stocking rate , a couple of hundred maybe not ideal . Be fantastic for pollinating though . Guess I'd better go put the trailer on . :(

This is what puzzles me .

If people are smart enough to get the money together to afford hundreds of hives how can they not be smart enough to know that 15 hec of Manuka is not enough forage for that no of hives.

There maybe good forage around the 15 hec but then the honey would not be pure Manuka so it defeats the purpose of the whole exercise.

It's a mystery to me

How day go getting out of the mud ?

We got out but it needed a big truck to do it, first time it's ever happened to us and I have to say it was a very unpleasant experience.

To add to the stress of it there was a local beekeeper killed in the Marlborough Sounds in the past couple of weeks truck rolled over in slippery conditions on a slope, just awful and I'm finding it hard not to be a bit worried on any kind of slope now.

If people are smart enough to get the money together to afford hundreds of hives how can they not be smart enough to know that 15 hec of Manuka is not enough forage for that no of hives.

It's a mystery to me

A mystery to me too @kaihoka in fact the whole industry is beyond my comprehension most times now. Maybe these big guys know something we don't.

I don't understand why there's been a tendency over the past month or so to talk the price down on bush type honey when a lot of the corporates seem to be actively chasing bush areas.

Sounds like here.

I always thought the hokianga was like whanganui inlet but with mangroves.

But no showers today but definitely blowing

I hope it's a bit warmer!

Hokianga is certainly a different climate than the east coast an hour away, and yes it blows. I don't think you can be anywhere on the west coast of NZ and not have the wind.

East coast seems to get more rain during summer, we get more in winter. We get ALL the wind.

And yes i have a few acres of mangroves myself

I hope it's a bit warmer!

Hokianga is certainly a different climate than the east coast an hour away, and yes it blows. I don't think you can be anywhere on the west coast of NZ and not have the wind.

East coast seems to get more rain during summer, we get more in winter. We get ALL the wind.

And yes i have a few acres of mangroves myself

It is warmer where you are.

Someone tried to establish mangroves a few years ago and they didn't take.

Doc would have pulled them all out anyway.

I wish it was warmer here.

I am hanging out for more global warming:)