Carlton

NZBF 2 Queens, 1 Hive

Hi

to cut a long story short, or medium length:

• Collected 2 nucs 4 weeks ago
  • Left nucs on stand for one week
  • Transferred to brood boxes, when i was doing this i noticed two large queen/supercedure! cells in one of the hives. I scraped these out, and when doing this found out at least one had pupae in it. I also saw the queen in this hive.
  • Did some research after this, and all advice seemed to be if queen cells are capped then to leave them alone.
  • Carried out an inspection 1 week later and found another large queen cell that appeared to have hatched. Also at this inspection i added a second brood box to each hive.
  • Yesterday, 2 weeks after previous inspection, the hive in question appears to be doing well lots of brood, lots of eggs and larvae, good levels of stores.
  • However.... I inspected the bottom box fist and spotted the queen plus lots of eggs, brood etc... in this box. Then I moved onto the top box which had been sitting on a board next to the hive, though put it back on the hive before inspecting. Again, lots of brood, eggs, stores etc... However, I then spotted another queen! Am pretty sure it wasn't the first queen as the one i spotted 3 weeks before and in the lower box seemed to be a lot fatter and slightly different colour.

Questions:

1. What is likely to happen if there are 2 and i leave it as is?
  2. Should I split?
  3. What else could/should I do?

Many thanks

C

I'd ignore it all and just enjoy having bees. Don't worry about them they know what they're doing.

Very likely a supercedure in action, new queen and old queen together until the new queen takes over.

I'd ignore it all and just enjoy having bees. Don't worry about them they know what they're doing.

Thanks... I was hoping that would be the advice. They seem happy enough so don't want to unnecessarily disturb them.

1 - 3 queencells generally indicates supercedure so it's best to leave them to sort themselves out and swarming is unlikely. Eventually you will see that the old queen has gone. Supercedure cells are well-fed so produce good-sized queens and are good ones to harvest - you can sometimes do it a couple of times before leaving the bees to finish the supercedure process themselves.

• Like 1