3 weeks since swarm collection.....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She

Look to be nearly 3 days old probably have larvae tomorrow :)

She is black isn't she :eek:

She has a lovely(?) pointy black beehind...... is that what she's meant to look like? Have never seen a queen until last weekend... and it was so obvious it was her! Saw her again today, for our weekly check up and photos of eggs.

That's so good, and you will be very happy in 10 days when the cells have flat caps meaning workers on the way.

:)

We were wondering how much smaller the population could get!

I see you have a few workers with varying amounts of black. Checked my hives on Saturday and found that one of them (with new brood from a fresh new naturally mated queen) has quite a number of very dark bees in it. I was referring to this hive as the "Nuc hive" due to it being formed from a nuc, with a paper combine of the remaining bees from a cutout. I'm now thinking "United Nations hive" is more appropriate.

@frazzledfozzle This is the nuc that you referred to as "stuffed" a few weeks back, I think you nailed it, certainly not what I thought I had bought.

20161203_122620_crop.jpg.28cfe3db26a3558d05e0fe99474c928e.jpg

I'd say "Brother from another mother", but I guess "sisters from another father" is closer:D

20161203_122620_crop.jpg.28cfe3db26a3558d05e0fe99474c928e.jpg

@Janice has pretty much summed it up really.

I know that a lot of beekeepers aren't bothered one way or the other as long as they have a queen and Carni's aren't bad or inferior or anything like that I just don't want them in our mix. It was the same with the AMM's before varroa I didn't want them anywhere near our mating yards.

We are very fortunate in that most of the other queen rearers and beekeepers in our area also try to run as pure Italian lines as they can so it makes it much easier to get a reasonably good Italian queen mated with a Italian drones.

• Like 2
Bee discrimination, who knew!

Any particular reason @frazzledfozzle

I've mostly see italians but saw some carnolians recently, quite different colouring. I guess you get a lot of diversity in bees with the queen mating with a fair few drones

I have a pretty pure Italian hive and a mostly carniolan hive.

I manage them quite differently.

The beek that I get advice from has always had Italians and I had lots of problems with my carniolans until I learned what different behaviour to expect

• Like 1

My Italians are getting blacker and blacker despite my best efforts I can do nothing lol :rolleyes: those bloody carnis are popping up all over the show.

I got no issue with carnis I just liked my nice gold queens.

Never mind, they are still good bees, just now they are hybrids really.

She has a lovely(?) pointy black beehind...... is that what she's meant to look like? Have never seen a queen until last weekend... and it was so obvious it was her! Saw her again today, for our weekly check up and photos of eggs.

We were wondering how much smaller the population could get!

Yep thats what she's meant to look like, she looks good to me.

As long as she's doing a good job.

Keep an eye out for multiple eggs, they can lay a few when they're starting out but they should be mostly single eggs.

@TammyW Sorry to confuse you, but @tristan summed it up bee-youtifully.

@frazzledfozzle Whatever your colour preferences, it is without question that a large posteriored, pure golden queen is an absolutely wonderful sight. Wouldn't you agree?

I found one in hive #3 last weekend. Fatter than my united nations queen and the most gorgeous colour. Sadly I'm a klutz with the camera and missed snapping her. Why did she have to be in the hive I've promised to a mate? :(.

We need a "facepalm"smilie for moments like this! :what:

• Like 3
While she's in your possession you have absolute rights to her daughters. Never too soon to have a crack at grafting (y)

This was on the "to do" list for next season. Have been chatting to @John T and another beek mate about this very thing after the trouble we've all had with queens this year.

Learning to walk before I try running.

Although I did watch a video of you grafting Rob, you made it look easy.