December Apiary Diary

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn it, it Looks like I am getting wet this morning! 16 hives to move to a new apiary. Out the door soon, hopefully it passes by before daybreak.

South Waikato had an booming electrical storm last night, which is common with convergence cloud that we get after stinking hot humid days.

Rain's good though, keeps the pasture flowers going longer in to the season.

• Like 1
@jamesc how's your home sites going yours up you way started well drew a box or two on the willow then stopped . Now just starting the make headway bit different to last year . Felt a bit envious the other day as I drove past you guys parked up at the watering hole having a quiet one I still had more sites to check up on

Today I I reduced a hive to a single brood box as @frazzledfozzle suggested I try

The hive I chose is a saga of bad management, including failed combines and swarms.

However the queen I failed to squish turned out not to be a drone layer and is laying really well.

She took at least a month to mate and lay.

Cause she was still in the hive , unknown to me combining her with the old queen hive meant lots of fighting and many bees died.

Then the old queen swarmed with half her bees.

So I had 3 boxes not that full of bees but lots of honey.

It all went smoothly.

Except the bit where I went to try some of the capped honey. In the process of unzipping my veil I failed to notice the bee that had flown onto the end of my hive tool.

I am confident my tounge will have gone down by Christmas day.

My beek friend recommended frozen tequila but I only have ice.

IMG_20161223_150224.jpg.ce97a25867b24df297f981794b3bf2cf.jpg

WP_20161223_14_21_00_Pro.jpg.4fd09052ce467aee3d8bfe07fb79952d.jpg

IMG_20161223_150430.jpg.941f53e5eead14e38bc1dd21e287d5ec.jpg

IMG_20161223_150224.jpg.ce97a25867b24df297f981794b3bf2cf.jpg

WP_20161223_14_21_00_Pro.jpg.4fd09052ce467aee3d8bfe07fb79952d.jpg

IMG_20161223_150430.jpg.941f53e5eead14e38bc1dd21e287d5ec.jpg

• Like 2
@jamesc how's your home sites going yours up you way started well drew a box or two on the willow then stopped . Now just starting the make headway bit different to last year . Felt a bit envious the other day as I drove past you guys parked up at the watering hole having a quiet one I still had more sites to check up on

Yup, it was a health and safety issue. We desperately needed rehydrating after wilting in the 30 c heat.

Bees looking good. Went into the high country today to inspect hives that were given a mega loading of C4 sugars two weeks ago after the matagouri came to non existent end and they were on deaths door., And were amazed .... without a word of a lie the little beauties had pulled in over 30kg of possibly borage, as there wasn't a lot of clover flowering.... or was it sugar syrup dumped in on top off a feeder of raw ?

What ever ... Father Christmas has arrived .

Stop in for an orange juice next time!

Nice rig .... doesn't look that wet !!

I headed out with the intention just to drop them off and go back tomorrow. It cleared up just after arriving at destination so I carried on and rehived the nucs in to 10 frame boxes.

20161223_103514.jpg.b6ecaf9f877ec3f725dac0cbc830c697.jpg

The weather here has been quite rough, very heavy showers strong wind to day. Very heavy rain last night I should be putting together some hive gear and waxing frames but haven't got around to it yet ;)...:rofl:[ATTACH=full]16131[/ATTACH]

The desire for holiday spending money is getting my frames sorted:)

20161223_191801.jpg.0794fa1f37201e8e02bed5c9e030d2ff.jpg

20161223_191801.jpg.0794fa1f37201e8e02bed5c9e030d2ff.jpg

20161223_103514.jpg.b6ecaf9f877ec3f725dac0cbc830c697.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a hint from someone who knows.

If you want to weld Dura galv box section really well and fast, get a supercheap Auto 135amp CIG weld mig for $365 and run .9mm Hobart gasless wire through it.

Ive used the supposedly best of the best welding gear on the some of the highest spec xrayed jobs in the country and value for money, this cheap little mig/wire combo cant be beat.

My entire crane trailer is welded up with one.

Another observation is the cutoff saw.

Best not to wast time and money on abrasive blades, use a fine tungsten tip blade.

Its a flatbed tandem

Back in early October I walked a small virgin queen into a weak nuc. Three weeks later she was laying worker brood. They've been building numbers slowly and now cover four and a half FD frames.

Today, two months after introduction, the nuc has zero uncapped brood and two capped queen cells. All the other queens in that batch are going strong.

I love it how no two colonies ever follow exactly the same development. Was it her size or her method of introduction? Maybe she got sick? I'll never know.

Back in early October I walked a small virgin queen into a weak nuc. Three weeks later she was laying worker brood. They've been building numbers slowly and now cover four and a half FD frames.

Today, two months after introduction, the nuc has zero uncapped brood and two capped queen cells. All the other queens in that batch are going strong.

I love it how no two colonies ever follow exactly the same development. Was it her size or her method of introduction? Maybe she got sick? I'll never know.

I've had the same queen swarm three times this season, every hive she's been in has had plenty of food and room to expand. She would lay four solid frames of brood and before I could get back to check there'd be a swarm to collect or one happening. The last time she swarmed was 9.30 in the morning and as soon as the bees settled down in the hive she came from I took its lid off and could hear a queen piping, I found the virgin queen and four cells...that's pretty much how this season has played out with some hives.

I've had the same queen swarm three times this season, every hive she's been in has had plenty of food and room to expand. She would lay four solid frames of brood and before I could get back to check there'd be a swarm to collect or one happening. The last time she swarmed was 9.30 in the morning and as soon as the bees settled down in the hive she came from I took its lid off and could hear a queen piping, I found the virgin queen and four cells...that's pretty much how this season has played out with some hives.

Are they carniolan bees ?