December Apiary Diary

arrived in dunedin just in time.. one of my hives down here had swarmed late on wednesday, boxed the swarm up first thing this morning. Then inspected a few hives, all good but starting to need some more boxes. Went to another apiary and went through a hive with a friend of mine, all is well.

Came back, checked the rest of the hives. Happy days for all of 'em. Obviously no fresh eggs in the one that swarmed - but otherwise all is well other than running low on kit. Could extract a few boxes while I'm down i guess. I'll sort something out!

• Like 1
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20161209_095827.jpg.f8a530de3354a0bc853314eb1e7dfd36.jpg 3/4 nuc five full frames of capped brood...transferred to full box.

Green hive queen going well ,7 1/2 frames of brood,so nutha box added.

IMG_20161209_095818.jpg.a37e559abf1789c31a15e295a279b9a5.jpg

Lh hive going well...queen laying up a storm,2nd box not far off being filled...rh not so flash,since swarming...but there's a mated queen,laying all over the place..not the solid frames of brood...but seen eggs,larvae and capped.Will see how she progresses...removed excluder and honey box.

IMG_20161209_095827.jpg.f8a530de3354a0bc853314eb1e7dfd36.jpg

IMG_20161209_095818.jpg.a37e559abf1789c31a15e295a279b9a5.jpg

• Like 3
Ankles, one on each and another on the Achilles. The perils of being lanky and not paying enough attention when purchasing my beesuit and actually moving about to see if it fits correctly.

Get some gumboots (they're hot but cheaper).

Or forestry boots, They're amazing for beekeeping.

IMG_7148.JPG.c04446affb0a58963ee4beb7c85284a9.JPG

So, red bands with steel toes?

I swear by these Blundstone boots, this is my 3rd pair, and I wear them nearly everyday, I'll even wear them tramping they are so comfortable, I've even gone swimming wearing them(to kick eels coz they breed em big and scary round these parts) that pair is about 3 years old and I've oiled them maybe twice ever.

IMG_7148.JPG.c04446affb0a58963ee4beb7c85284a9.JPG

• Like 3
[ATTACH=full]15980[/ATTACH]

I swear by these Blundstone boots, this is my 3rd pair, and I wear them nearly everyday, I'll even wear them tramping they are so comfortable, I've even gone swimming wearing them(to kick eels coz they breed em big and scary round these parts) that pair is about 3 years old and I've oiled them maybe twice ever.

Mate, them wrinkles could do with some moisturizer.

Mate, them wrinkles could do with some moisturizer.

If you were a 3 year old boot you'd look like that too. :lol

Those boots are f'ed, but I love them so much I just can't let them go, like a new pair would be just as good, but we've just done so much stuff together :rofl:

Ankles, one on each and another on the Achilles. The perils of being lanky and not paying enough attention when purchasing my beesuit and actually moving about to see if it fits correctly.

you can add on some more to the bottom of the legs

I wear long leather boots and tie my overall to my boot with my laces

• Like 2
I've even gone swimming wearing them

trying to imagen daley in bikini and those boots ..........:eek: :confused: lets not go there........

[ATTACH=full]15981[/ATTACH]

$240 for these, $300 with spikes :what:

these days i just wear shoes, safety shoes of course.

trying to imagen daley in bikini and those boots ..........:eek: :confused: lets not go there........

these days i just wear shoes, safety shoes of course.

Haha mate there's a reason I've been called Lara Croft by many a backpacker, got the knife and everything :rofl::rofl::rofl:

[ATTACH=full]15981[/ATTACH]

$240 for these, $300 with spikes :what:

Worth every penny trust me lol

arrived in dunedin just in time.. one of my hives down here had swarmed late on wednesday, boxed the swarm up first thing this morning. Then inspected a few hives, all good but starting to need some more boxes. Went to another apiary and went through a hive with a friend of mine, all is well.

Came back, checked the rest of the hives. Happy days for all of 'em. Obviously no fresh eggs in the one that swarmed - but otherwise all is well other than running low on kit. Could extract a few boxes while I'm down i guess. I'll sort something out!

Hi Dave,

Give us a bell, Sunday would suit to use my honey house if you like.

:)

Caged my first queen today. One from last season being replaced. Shes an average performer and I would have squashed her except I know a guy who could really use a mated queen.

[ATTACH=full]15984[/ATTACH]

Lots of us could really use mated queens

• Like 1
Lots of us could really use mated queens

I understand. Sounds like you have a good plan in place to get some.

This is s big deal for me. This is my second season grafting for my own use. I really don't have anything to measure my queens against. So I've been reluctant to pass them on to anyone really.