Rene Gloor

AFB Detector Dog Inspection Free

Free Detector Dog inspection for AFB in Otago / Southland

If you are interested by getting your bee hives AFB inspected by Jesse the AFB Detector Dog contact me. Jesse has been operational for over 5 years and has a very good track record.

There will be no charge for the inspection only for travel expenses. In return I would like to use a new detector dog, Flynn to search the hives at the same time. Inspections can only be done at night.

Please contact me if you would like some more information. Some conditions may apply.

Rene Gloor

Dunedin

• Like 4

what an awesome offer. Too far away for me.

If you are interested by getting your bee hives AFB inspected by Jesse the AFB Detector Dog contact me. Jesse has been operational for over 5 years and has a very good track record.

There will be no charge for the inspection only for travel expenses. In return I would like to use a new detector dog, Flynn to search the hives at the same time. Inspections can only be done at night.

Please contact me if you would like some more information. Some conditions may apply.

Rene Gloor

Dunedin

What about if we were happy to pay flights to great barrier ??

Up one day and back the next.

I have seen Flynn in action and it was impressive.

Rene Gloor

Dunedin

if there was enough interest to not only cover traveling cost but also to make it worthwhile to come up to the evil north, would you consider that?

I don't have a commercial operation or an AFB problem to warrant bringing Jesse and Flynn to my place alone. But if other Hawke's Bay beekeepers were interested then I'd definitely consider paying a per hive or per apiary share to see them in action.

• Like 1

you are onto a huge thing there, @Rene Gloor .

if i imagine what it would mean for commercials to know which hive might have an afb issue even before you start harvest........

Wow! That sounds so incredible! Would LOVE to hear more about the training you give your dogs if you don't mind sharing??

Would love to hear if you are able to make it up north, I'm sure plenty of clubs would be keen to make a day of it.

you are onto a huge thing there, @Rene Gloor .

if i imagine what it would mean for commercials to know which hive might have an afb issue even before you start harvest........

Hi Tom

yes it can be a very useful tool for beekeepers. Gowanlea Honey, James and Richelle have reduced their number of AFB hives immensely, together with bee keepers and the 2 dogs they have.

Wow! That sounds so incredible! Would LOVE to hear more about the training you give your dogs if you don't mind sharing??

The training principals are very basic. We are pairing the target odour with the reward (ball / toy) By repeating the process of finding the toy/target odour (afb) the process of classical condition is happening.

We are training dogs for other odours (narcotics / explosives etc) by using the same principals. However having a dog working around beehives requires slightly different attributes as well the training is not as "easy " as working a dog at an airport and its certainly more challenging. Eventually all of the work is done at night when searching hives. Except when searching any equipment/honey boxes when they are stored in the shed.

I have training 3 dogs for the detection of AFB (2 are operational and 1 is still in training)

The 2 dogs are working very well and are very effective in the detection of AFB however certainly do have as all detector dogs some limitations. They are not taking over the jobs of the bee keepers. However they compliment each other very well.

Please let me know if you want some more info. Happy to share any info.

Rene

• Like 2

If your up Christchurch way, I will swap you for some Thai (Issan) food, for a sniff of my hives x25 :)

I would be happy to do that next year.

Certainly.

I'm in the process of training another dog for the north island and would like to do a road trip. Searching hives on the way up and back.

Great, keep us in mind then.

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Rene Gloor said:

Rene Gloor

Dunedin

How do we make contact with you for your canine services :)   

On 11/27/2016 at 10:29 PM, Rene Gloor said:

Rene Gloor

Dunedin

Flynn did an amazing job at the conference in Hamilton last week.

@meercatFlynn is based in the North Island now. Rob Frances from NZ Beeswax Ltd in Hamilton has got 2 dogs and runs the AFB detection dogs with his wife

• Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, dansar said:

Flynn did an amazing job at the conference in Hamilton last week.

@meercatFlynn is based in the North Island now. Rob Frances from NZ Beeswax Ltd in Hamilton has got 2 dogs and runs the AFB detection dogs with his wife

Awesome thankyou heaps for the info Dansar

Hi @meercat yes there is Rob and Jan Francis in Hamilton. 021733752 if you require some inspections to be done. we are in the currently in the process of training more dogs for the north island however they not going to be ready for at least 6  month. You can contact me on 021465728 if you have any questions.

Hi , thanks @dansar for the compliments regarding Flynn's demonstration.    We are very excited to be able to offer an awesome tool to help eliminate AFB@meercatPlease feel free to contact us on 021 047 8252 or detectafb@gmail.com.

• Like 2