bees outside of the hive

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its hot but winds are 35km,gusts 55km+.

Hi Bazz. Could be a bit hot on top of the black plastic.

More than likely.

Sorry @bazz but on top of the wood pile is a rather dumb place to locate a hive. Dangerous if nothing else, how are you going to work the hive when it is 3 or more boxes high.

See how they go by about now. If they are still hanging around outside, it is possible that you may have dropped the queen outside and she could be in that cluster under the landing entrance.

Carefully uplift the hive and put it into a more sensible location (on the Ground) and then carefully collect that cluster under the landing board and tip them into the hive. Don't worry about the bees on the face of the hive, they will go inside.

That's called bearding and you can probably guess why. It's not usually a sign of a problem but perfectly normal.

That's called bearding and you can probably guess why. It's not usually a sign of a problem but perfectly normal.

However Trevor is right about the hive site, especially in the light of recent earthquake s.

made a rookie mistake and didnt see a queen cell on the frames when i shifted them from nuc to fd box.

got a phone call at 0900 from my partner, they swarmed.

lucky i still had the nuc, so now i have a new nuc.

question: can i put them back into the hive at a later date?

Your nuc was probably too strong and was already preparing to swarm when you moved it over to the single box.

I would just shift it back into the hive it swarmed from, first making sure no virgin has emerged.

can i close off the nuc untill ive had a look in the single box at lunch time? if no new queen in there do i just dump the nuc/swarmed bees back in or is there a better way?

Bees will cook by the time you get to them

yep i thought about heat, i let them out at 0800.

Bees will cook by the time you get to them

just had a look at nuc and hive, the hive has alot of traffic, abdomen shaking at entrance and seen some fighting.

is the swarm now stealing from there old home?

hi team

i put a nuc into a fd box on friday, went outside 2hours ago and seen the front/outside of the hive covered in bees top to bottom.

whats going on here?

did they do orientation flights all at once?

when we got our swarm, we thought the same thing "oh look! they are all orienteering at the same time!" NOPE, they swarmed.... right to the bush next to the hive.

What good beeses you have @MissEmmz, our first hive went 40 foot up a Totara tree! It took 1 beekeeper, 1 wanna bee beekeeper & a baker to get it back down!

How's this hive doing @bazz?

40 ft up, ######. totara make gd fire wood :)

ive still got the swarm in a nuc, was thinking about doing that paper trick to put them back in there old home. i don't want a 3rd hive at the moment.

Ive just placed a swarm into a hive.Half hr later theres plenty packed at the front of the entrance-about 13cmx13cm pack of bees above the entrance. Not sure if theres a queen.Went out at 10-30 this evening they are still in same place.Any ideas.

Ive just placed a swarm into a hive.Half hr later theres plenty packed at the front of the entrance-about 13cmx13cm pack of bees above the entrance. Not sure if theres a queen.Went out at 10-30 this evening they are still in same place.Any ideas.

Yep - leave them and see what happens :)

Yep - leave them and see what happens :)

Had a look at 9-30 this morn,The majority are off the front of the box but still a lot hovering around and walking on the front of the hive.I lifted the rear top to let a bit of air in last night..I think I will remove the props now as from my last swarm experience they built comb where there was any gap. And by removing the props they wont have that gap and I hope will start building on the frames.Doesnt look like any foraging yet ( ie they don't seem to be collecting any nectar/pollen yet just flying around the hive.Although considering the size of the hive the ones flying around are only a small minority.

Had a look at 9-30 this morn,The majority are off the front of the box but still a lot hovering around and walking on the front of the hive.I lifted the rear top to let a bit of air in last night..I think I will remove the props now as from my last swarm experience they built comb where there was any gap. And by removing the props they wont have that gap and I hope will start building on the frames.Doesnt look like any foraging yet ( ie they don't seem to be collecting any nectar/pollen yet just flying around the hive.Although considering the size of the hive the ones flying around are only a small minority.

Getting far more Bees flying round now . . Think maybe they want to swarm . . They are in a 3/4 box. Maybe I should add another 3/4 on top?