julia C

What are bees foraging on 2016/17 season?

Macadamias are related to our native rewa rewa and seem very attractive to bees. My mum has one in her garden just down the road but the soil is too heavy at my place.

I have gevuina trees. They are allegedly a cool climate macadamia sort of thing but the nuts are nothing to write home about. bees love the flowers though.

Macadamias are related to our native rewa rewa and seem very attractive to bees. My mum has one in her garden just down the road but the soil is too heavy at my place.

yes of course they are both proteaceae i had not thought of that.

mine are actually growing in what i would have thought of as heavy clay, but on a ridge so pretty dry

does your mums one have nuts, i think i may need a pollinator .

I have gevuina trees. They are allegedly a cool climate macadamia sort of thing but the nuts are nothing to write home about. bees love the flowers though.

i have a friend with one and he says the bees love it.

are they slow growing and take years to flower.

being 60 now these things enter into my planting considerations these days

I've had them in for about 15 years and they've produced the odd nut for seven years or so but the nuts aren't worth it. Maybe there is some important thing I should do with them to make them delicious.

I've had them in for about 15 years and they've produced the odd nut for seven years or so but the nuts aren't worth it. Maybe there is some important thing I should do with them to make them delicious.

I do not think so. People in Chile probably stopped eating them when other nuts, like macadamia or hazels were introduced .

Seems they are worth it for the bees, have you ever tried the honey or is it too blended with other stuff

Too blended. My honey is always a mixture. We have a lot of bush and many gardens around us.

Mums tree has lots of nuts and it is the only one in the area. Mind you there might be like apples with something self fertile and others not.

The bees are busy collecting nectar and crimson pollen from the chestnut tree this morning

IMG_2231.JPG.d613e5f2deb05d7363620429520f9a60.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG.d613e5f2deb05d7363620429520f9a60.JPG

• Like 3

Hi, Every year I sow mustard and a range of other Brassicas which then start to flower in late winter and are still going now. I always have bees crawling over them. The last plot is still in full bloom and still visited.

My cabbage trees are just starting to flower as is the Orange tree and yesterday I noticed bees visiting them for the first time.

Herb Robert is another favourite I sow and is also covered in bees, so too is the teucrium fruticans.

I dont have bees yet.

I recently bought a long hive off Kiwimana and have set it up in what I hope is a suitable spot. I was hoping it would attract a swarm but so far hasnt. Not surprising really with all the rain we have had.

This might be alittle off topic, but today I found a bee stuck upside down to the lid of the hive, stuck by rainwater. I lifted it off and popped it inside so it could get dry. Its been raining all day and I dont unsderstand how it could have got there. I checked the hive and found there were no other bees in it.

The most prominent flowering up here at the moment is coming from privet (roadsides) white flower, cordyline - cabbage tree, and manuka.

Manuka and clover at Waihi Beach

The bottle brush sounds as if there is a hive hidden inside.

20161127_072236.jpg.7904643a7e0bc9c5c9f7667f7ec3d6a3.jpg

20161127_072236.jpg.7904643a7e0bc9c5c9f7667f7ec3d6a3.jpg

• Like 2

Yep we've got a reasonable sized 'bottlebrush' on our front lawn, someone's girls are humming in it!:P

Foragers are returning painted yellow today. I reckon they're onto a patch of squash or pumpkin.

• Like 1

Asparagus and fennel for xmas here and still lots of pohutakawa

Hows the season going over on Waiheke @Gavin Smith ? Our Pohutukawa only half attempted to flower this year .

Hows the season going over on Waiheke @Gavin Smith ? Our Pohutukawa only half attempted to flower this year .

Season has been late, spring was tuff with variable flowering and wet. Our pohutukawa failed last year but has been our savior this year.

Last few weeks of warm weather have seen boxes going on weekly, 10% of hives now 5 supers inc single brood box. Hoping the pohutukawa keeps coming, which it is so far and the kanuka now coming lasts a few more weeks. Have a good xmas, i will be extracting next week to get some clean gear.

• Like 2

Hubby is out of lawnmowing action since he dislocated his shoulder so we have loads of buttercup where it used to be lawn, and the bees were on it today.

• Like 2

one of our big ratas behind the house is flowering.

it is very late and because there was no wind today i heard the bees in it. 5992eba5c0c5f_DJI_0920(800x462).jpg.0d13474d6776f44f5d641feb76cd049e.jpg

5992eba5bbf87_rata1.jpg.2300fe95ab607ef461c05be7090f560b.jpg

5992eba5bbf87_rata1.jpg.2300fe95ab607ef461c05be7090f560b.jpg

5992eba5c0c5f_DJI_0920(800x462).jpg.0d13474d6776f44f5d641feb76cd049e.jpg

• Like 5

it is very late and because there was no wind today i heard the bees in it. [ATTACH=full]16538[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]16539[/ATTACH]

that looks awesome.....you go girls

that looks awesome.....you go girls

Do you have rata on waiheke.

The big pohutukawa trees in golden bay are very dense , do they crown out eventually like the big rata ,

With a tall trunk

Do you have rata on waiheke.

The big pohutukawa trees in golden bay are very dense , do they crown out eventually like the big rata ,

With a tall trunk

We don't have Rata but we do have Pohutukawa, loads of it. It does not have the big trunk or crown like your Rata its more of a huge sprawler. It flowers madly like your Rata and the bees will fill a box a week ( a super). The honey is fabulous. It flowered in a staggered way this year after flowering poorly last year. It has been the savior of our season.

it is very late and because there was no wind today i heard the bees in it. [ATTACH=full]16538[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]16539[/ATTACH]

Absolutely stunning:love::love::love:

I could frame that picture and hang it on the wall:)

wow .... so it does know how to flower ! We live in hope .

• Like 1