Help with inspecting my hives Canterbury

Hey guys im new to bee keeping and iv caught a few swarms, so far i havnt seen any disease and hives apear to be healthy but im fairly new to it all and would rather a check from a well trained eye. Im based in geraldine in canterbury and i was wondering if any one would be interested in having a look through my hives with me?

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys im new to bee keeping and iv caught a few swarms, so far i havnt seen any disease and hives apear to be healthy but im fairly new to it all and would rather a check from a well trained eye. Im based in geraldine in canterbury and i was wondering if any one would be interested in having a look through my hives with me?

More importantly, have your hives been inspected for AFB this Spring? It's a legal requirement that all hives are inspected between 1 Aug and 30 Nov each year. You can find more in the AFB Pest Management Plan. I've attached the relevant section below.

IMG_0230.JPG.2df24bda3004f0ab6d49a065e2c0e7d6.JPG

You must have been beekeeping for at least a year before applying for a DECA. So I'm guessing you'll need another beekeeper to do your inspection. There's a list of approved beekeepers on the AFB agency website List of COI Inspectors for Non DECA Holders

If you need more info please ask. Then again, if your hives have already been inspected and your COI completed, please disregard.

IMG_0230.JPG.2df24bda3004f0ab6d49a065e2c0e7d6.JPG

• Like 1
More importantly, have your hives been inspected for AFB this Spring? It's a legal requirement that all hives are inspected between 1 Aug and 30 Nov each year. You can find more in the AFB Pest Management Plan. I've attached the relevant section below.

[ATTACH]15795[/ATTACH]

You must have been beekeeping for at least a year before applying for a DECA. So I'm guessing you'll need another beekeeper to do your inspection. There's a list of approved beekeepers on the AFB agency website List of COI Inspectors for Non DECA Holders

If you need more info please ask. Then again, if your hives have already been inspected and your COI completed, please disregard.

Thanks mate iv got my paper work just need to find a beekeeper with a deca and hopefully get it all done ☺

@Jaspur M Have you registered as a beekeeper and provided the location of your apiaries? This again is a legal requirement and very important for all beekeepers.

Yup all registered, it turns out i dont have the right paper work for an inspection declaration maybe i got my hives to late in the season, il ring them tomoro and see if i need to get one filled out

• Like 1
I asked these questions at the last beek club day. I was told that because I got my bees from late September on that I wouldn't have to have inspections/declarations done this year.

Yes, That is standard. The seller of the bees will have done the required paper work (or at least they should have) as per their DECA.

Yes, That is standard. The seller of the bees will have done the required paper work (or at least they should have) as per their DECA.

Could be a rather different proposition when the bees are a caught swarm. Need to check the wording of the PMP.

Had a quick look. If you can prove that the bees were inspected on or after 1 aug by an authorised person then I think you're safe as houses. I think it would be difficult to prove the same for a swarm.

• Like 1
Shouldn't do, you should do an afb check before you remove anything from the hive. hopefully you will have someone to help by then.

If it is after Xmas I could be tempted to a roadtrip seeing as how you have good rivers down there :)

Yup im hoping to get them checked soon if i can, i want to be sure my girls are healthy, they appear healthy. when theyre checked im hoping to unite a few to see how the two queen hive goes, it wasnt that long ago i didnt think that was possible. This bee bug has really taken over and the only cure appears to be more bees ☺☺