GumbootGirl

NZBF Painting Hives..?

Hi all - I'm a total newbie, waiting for my hives to arrive in the post so I can set them up and fill them with bees. Just wondering is there a specific paint I should use, or anything to avoid? Obviously no colours too dark because I don't want to cook them but does anyone have advice other than that?? Thanks

The specific paint typically required by beekeepers is characterised by a number of traits:

1. usually free/leftover

2. a random tint or more likely, mistaken tint

3. not pinched from an artist's easel (ie is an outdoor paint)

4. is free

Make friends with a commercial painter - they usually have tons of random paints left over from jobs

• Like 1

The specific paint typically required by beekeepers is characterised by a number of traits:

1. usually free/leftover

2. a random tint or more likely, mistaken tint

3. not pinched from an artist's easel (ie is an outdoor paint)

4. is free

Make friends with a commercial painter - they usually have tons of random paints left over from jobs

Hahaha thank you! But it would appear I'm one of those "special" ones that wants a flash new castle for their girls to live in. I went and got new paint so I could have a funky colour scheme (on the farm account, of course!) and then thought uh-oh, I hope this is ok to use! Sounds like it'll be fine

I went and got new paint so I could have a funky colour scheme (on the farm account, of course!) and then thought uh-oh, I hope this is ok to use! Sounds like it'll be fine

Couple weeks ago I faced this question, went through many forums/blogs/etc and finally I merged the gazillion opinions and suggestions to two basic things. The paint should be

- free or as cheap as it is possible

- for outdoor use

Everything else is just for the show :) Apparently if you have 1 or 2 hives you go for the colour so you spend actual money on paint (I did too :)

Have you seen those cool stencils @Trevor Gillbanks sells? Looks awesome!

Oh my gosh, NO! Haha look at me, wanting to throw money all over the place... but stencils would be something my 3 year old (who INSISTS is going to be painting my hives) could do!

• Like 1

From what I can gather you need to use low VOC (volatile organic compound) paint. This type of paint has less of the nasty things in it so the bees are less likely to be affected by it. More info is here Eco Friendly Paint Does Not Pollute the Environment

Resene have a good range here: Environmental Choice Paint From Resene - Sustainability, Painting & The Environment. I think Bunnings also have a range of low VOC paint as well.

• Like 1

And then you can get really carried away...check out posh hives on the forum. I'm exploring some hive cover roofs

I'm quite into the garden art thingP1000781.JPG.7941c31af97e075aac5713ae9bc203e5.JPG

P1000781.JPG.7941c31af97e075aac5713ae9bc203e5.JPG

• Like 2

The paint should be

- free or as cheap as it is possible

- for outdoor use

Or marry a commercial painter.

My wife found a full 4 ltr of a very nice bright yellow for my first hive, which was great because I wasn't overly taken by the 300 odd litres of white, off white, very nearly white, we're not calling it white (but you know the truth) or whiteish paint that we have sitting around waiting for a worthy project.

• Like 2

We have boxes in all the colours! We will never let himself choose or buy paint again! Use exterior paint, give them plenty of it (we use a brush, three coats) they still look good, makes us happy! Have fun, our was a hobby that turned into a profession. Life's too short for regrets! My girls reward us with lovely full boxes, they just don't care what colour they are....

• Like 2

WP_20160521_13_42_10_Pro.jpg.fdf4eb1f5ca97d01c0d53f4180a2b2f7.jpg I like every color.(y)

WP_20160521_13_42_10_Pro.jpg.fdf4eb1f5ca97d01c0d53f4180a2b2f7.jpg

• Like 3

Oh @Shaun, no two boxes the same colour arghhh!

Oh @Shaun, no two boxes the same colour arghhh!

I understand :) but it is the easiest way to match a brood with a feed box.

and with a the number of hives I now have, even the misstints are getting hard to find new colors.

Give in to the dark side @Shaun, and mix em up! (Says the woman who still names all her hives!)...

I am not lucky with free paints so I go for "FENCE PAINT" from the Mitre10. Has a nasty smell for two days and lasts for very long(3 coats).

Anyone near Blenheim is free to msg me and I can probably hook you up with a bit of free paint, good quality but white or close to probably.

I like free, water based outdoor paint. Free because it's free, water based because it's easier to clean up, and outdoor because it lasts. Three coats works well enough for me.

I tinted left over off white paint with a Resene test pot (2 for the price of 1 deal). Chose a strong colour and then added base IMG_0189.JPG.9dd8db9d88de2930df13471223f687a0.JPG The coming season will be the test of time.

IMG_0189.JPG.9dd8db9d88de2930df13471223f687a0.JPG

• Like 4

I tinted left over off white paint with a Resene test pot (2 for the price of 1 deal). Chose a strong colour and then added base [ATTACH]15782[/ATTACH] The coming season will be the test of time.

Pretty!!!! Stop it, you're making me want those stencils more and more!!!!

• Like 1

Pretty!!!! Stop it, you're making me want those stencils more and more!!!!

Well, buy some. My wife is available to cut some more. Cost is pretty cheap in the scheme of beekeeping expenses.

• Like 1

Well, buy some. My wife is available to cut some more. Cost is pretty cheap in the scheme of beekeeping expenses.

Sigh.... alright I'll do it, no point in fighting it Can you tell me what I need to do to order? (Apparently I'm not allowed to use the TradeBee thing because I haven't made enough posts on here yet)