tudor

Unite with strong hive over or under

Friend's hive number 2 swarmed, I collected it yesterday and it's sitting in an apiary growling.

Hive number 1 went queenless 4 weeks ago and had a queen cell which seems to have failed. Elderly and declining population, 2 FD boxes and a honey super. Their goal is all 3/4 box hives.

Uniting them seems elegant. My instinct is to put the swarm under the queenless box as they need access, and with queen excluder to achieve box change.

Does my logic hold ?

Thanks.

I put the box with the queen on top :D

Here comes the difficult one ...

Why ?

(And the hand saw arrived today, looking forward to cutting down a small tree)

:)

Here comes the difficult one ...

Why ?

(And the hand saw arrived today, looking forward to cutting down a small tree)

:)

The way I see it, less bees will go up then will go down, eventually they will intermingle and while they do I see the queen as being safest in the top.

The queenless colony will be more pliable because 'beggars can't be choosers'. I'd put the swarm on the bottom too. However, when in doubt, (lack of experience/trying something new) I put the queen in a candy cage for her own protection and safe keeping. That buys time for everyone to combine without killing the queen.. A similar parallel might be swapping locations of a very strong hive and a very weak hive; where suddenly a strong foraging force arrives home to find a different queen in their hive..

For my 10 cents worth I'd put the swarm on top. no queen excluder but paper it onto the old one with two sheets of newspaper. That way the new swarm gets locked in for a day or so and learns where they are.When all the bees are acquainted you can fiddle around and knock it down into a workable brood box and honey box.

i'm missing a bit of info here (or i haven't had my second cup coffee, that is required for my brain to kick in)

is this swarm housed in frames and box or just the bare swarm?

and if it's in a box/frames, is that 3/4 or full depth?

are you sure the swarm is the prim swarm with the old mated queen?

obviously if the swarm is still bare i would put it in 3/4 frames/box if that's what you want to end up with.

or is that not an option?

in my opinion, the queenless hive needs to be confirmed queenless before uniting.

also would be careful to unite a swarm with anything before they have started brood again.

they might just tank up and carry on if they don't like it.

so i would suggest that you put the swarm (in a 3/4 gear) next or on top of the queenless hive, but on a separate base or devision board for now.

put a frame of open brood into the queenless hive to confirm it is actually queenless.

the swarm will get used to the new location and you have all options open for uniting later.

chances are i missed the point completely.:sleep::whistle:

• Like 1

Yep newspaper is amazing if you have some with you :D I always blimin forget to put more in the truck

Yep newspaper is amazing if you have some with you :D I always blimin forget to put more in the truck

Newspapers are scarce around here since the arrival of smart phones :unsure:

• Like 1

I agree with the logic in all the above posts.

Is it possible there is no one right answer :rofl:

The most important thing is to prevent the queen getting killed by the introduced bees

Thanks all, really good to have points made that I have never considered.

• Like 1

Dad gets the paper everyday he's old school lol I just use it and forget to put more in, or the goat eats them

True...for lighting fires over winter ...I used to grab them from the waste bin at the Airport where I went regularly. Got some funny looks I must say...but....its only kinky the first time.