Guy

Queen help

Hi,

I'm probably in completely the wrong forum but was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction...

I've got three hives but no queens. I had a couple if queen cells that hatched in one hive but no sign of any activity yet (it's been three and a half weeks). I've tried to source some queens but there is a shortage. Can anyone help?

Two of these are a couple of years old. One is a split from a swarm this year but no queen present. The others had laying queens until a few weeks back - wonder if one lost theirs during the swarm. Not sure what happened to the other. Regardless, all queenless.

Checking a mating Nuc tomorrow, if ok will pm u, what side of auckland are u? I only have one if any, another cell going to hatch soon. Mine have all taken 25-28days this year from split date so a 30 day to lay. So 3 1/2 weeks she may still make it, what is the colony acting like, queen right or queenless?

I'm on the shore. They're pretty docile and no obvious increase in pollen going in. I'll have another look over the next couple of days

Docile should mean there is a queen there,

Buzzy and angry means queenless ....... usually

Docile should mean there is a queen there,

Buzzy and angry means queenless ....... usually

Big Exclamation Marks around "USUALLY"

Well, whadya know? Had a quick look this arvo and two of the three have eggs. Not many guards and a little depleted in numbers but looking positive. I've put a frame of eggs into the queenless hive and will add another in a few days. Worth combining two of them?

• Like 3

Well, whadya know? Had a quick look this arvo and two of the three have eggs. Not many guards and a little depleted in numbers but looking positive. I've put a frame of eggs into the queenless hive and will add another in a few days. Worth combining two of them?

We all want to rush for the solution instead of waiting for the bees to sort out what we think of as a problem.

Well done @Guy

• Like 1

I get that with hives that have swarmed (I have other things pop up in spring and I ofton miss swarm control rounds on the odd site which results in swarming... I find that if I look in a swarmed hive they are almost always queen less and the next time I look they are almost always queen right. It's interesting....

I find that if I look in a swarmed hive they are almost always queen less and the next time I look they are almost always queen right. It's interesting....

Yes, absolutely. You must have patience. Jolly hard to keep to the timetable thou. It seems like months when it is only a few days. That is why hive records are important.

I find that if I look in a swarmed hive they are almost always queen less and the next time I look they are almost always queen right.

this is also why its safer to patch a hive with frame of eggs than to use a queen cell.

Sounds positive but best to keep an eye on it just in case they have laying workers. If multiple eggs or eggs on the side of the cell its a problem, and if the brood turns out to be drone brood.