Carlton

NZBF Second brood box and honey super

Hi All

I collected 2 nucs 3 weeks ago.

I left the bees in the nucs for one week then transferred them into a brood box a week later with a single frame feeder each.

When I checked them last weekend after a week in the brood box they had about 2 frames left to draw and all drawn frames were full of brood/larvae/eggs. The sugar syrup was virtually gone so I filled each feeder up, and they were drawing comb on top of the frames which had nectar in it.

Today I am expecting to add a second brood box.

I have 2 questions:

1) Should I continue feeding?

2) Should I also add a honey super. Especially if they are bringing nectar in?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Carlton

Hi All

I collected 2 nucs 3 weeks ago.

I left the bees in the nucs for one week then transferred them into a brood box a week later with a single frame feeder each.

When I checked them last weekend after a week in the brood box they had about 2 frames left to draw and all drawn frames were full of brood/larvae/eggs. The sugar syrup was virtually gone so I filled each feeder up, and they were drawing comb on top of the frames which had nectar in it.

Today I am expecting to add a second brood box.

I have 2 questions:

1) Should I continue feeding?

2) Should I also add a honey super. Especially if they are bringing nectar in?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Carlton

The bees don't differentiate between honey box and brood box. Once one is full they move in to the next (most of the time). If you add two boxes straight away all that may happen is the bees work straight up the centre without using the outside frames, so it is best to concentrate their efforts on filling out the second brood box first. If they fill that with honey then the honey frames can be lifted up in the honey super to create more room in the second brood box with new frames. Have fun.

The bees don't differentiate between honey box and brood box. Once one is full they move in to the next (most of the time). If you add two boxes straight away all that may happen is the bees work straight up the centre without using the outside frames, so it is best to concentrate their efforts on filling out the second brood box first. If they fill that with honey then the honey frames can be lifted up in the honey super to create more room in the second brood box with new frames. Have fun.

Thanks... have made the mistake of full depth brood and 3/4 boxes for honey. Guess it will be just the brood box today.

C

I don't know your area but if you want to harvest honey this season you could keep it as a single brood box and put your honey box on top instead of another broodbox.

• Like 1

I don't know your area but if you want to harvest honey this season you could keep it as a single brood box and put your honey box on top instead of another broodbox.

I'm out in the Waitakeres west of Auckland. They told us on our course that everything happens about a month later out here due to the colder wet winters.

They told us on our course that everything happens about a month later

later compared to what ?

later compared to what ?

I was going to ask that but was afraid to appear stupid. The answer is of course "Them"

I was going to ask that but was afraid to appear stupid. The answer is of course "Them"

i'm not afraid to look stupid :whistle:

and "them" are beeks in auckland ???