Sabiha

Newbee needs help

Hi Everyone, I am really new here and have very little knowledge, hence would like to know more. I am considering starting a retail business of local honey - Manuka, rewarewa, kanuka, but am unsure where can I get honey from as all I find is branded honey by other companies. Also I would like to know, if I can buy processed honey that is graded for its UMF or MGO levels, which can directly be packaged and labelled at my end to sell, as I do not have any processing equipment at this stage. Any other useful related information would be very welcome, like minimum Kg I would need to buy for wholesale, approx prices, links to useful regulations etc.

Thank you in advance.

For bulk buying look at thehoneynetwork.com go on to the MPI government website and look up the legal requirements to be a honey seller... Other than that you may find a bee keeper that will partner with you to sell their honey

Hi Everyone, I am really new here and have very little knowledge, hence would like to know more. I am considering starting a retail business of local honey - Manuka, rewarewa, kanuka, but am unsure where can I get honey from as all I find is branded honey by other companies. Also I would like to know, if I can buy processed honey that is graded for its UMF or MGO levels, which can directly be packaged and labelled at my end to sell, as I do not have any processing equipment at this stage. Any other useful related information would be very welcome, like minimum Kg I would need to buy for wholesale, approx prices, links to useful regulations etc.

Thank you in advance.

Depends which country you want to sell it in.

You will want to buy it from a primary producer probably, and this is a good place to find people.

Also, MPI recently released all of our contact details on their website, so there's always email door knocking, who knows you might get lucky, you'll probably have to have cash upfront for them though if you want to buy anything.

auckland beekeeping clubs could be a good option.

in whangarei(i think) the hobby beekeepers got together and marketed there honey as "true north" honey.

maybe you could come up with something like that on your doorstep?

good luck.

i sell to a small scale business rather than to one of these giants. there must be more beekeepers out there that think that way.

auckland beekeeping clubs could be a good option.

in whangarei(i think) the hobby beekeepers got together and marketed there honey as "true north" honey.

maybe you could come up with something like that on your doorstep?

good luck.

i sell to a small scale business rather than to one of these giants. there must be more beekeepers out there that think that way.

Is the honey from these beekeepers ready for being bottled and labelled ??

Thanks

Depends which country you want to sell it in.

You will want to buy it from a primary producer probably, and this is a good place to find people.

Also, MPI recently released all of our contact details on their website, so there's always email door knocking, who knows you might get lucky, you'll probably have to have cash upfront for them though if you want to buy anything.

That sounds fair. Do you know approximately how much quantity is the minimum I would need to buy from these primary producers?

Thanks

Do you know approximately how much quantity is the minimum I would need to buy from these primary producers?

Thanks

Usually per drum = 300 kg approx.

buying the honey is no problem, you simply have to pay more than their existing buyer ;)

there is a few packing outfits that will pack it for you.

however a growing trend is beeks are mind full of who they sell to.

they probably won't have any objections to selling to a local shop, but overseas is a different ball game.

they are not keen on selling honey to people who might "water it down" to make even more $$$.

honey "exporters" are dime a dozen these days.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I found the list on MPI's website and it is quite diverse. I was wondering if someone know's a reliable supplier and could pm me the name's please ? I am looking at starting a local online business at this point of honey along with some skin products as well and would need certified good quality honey. Thanks heaps in advance!!