Observation Hive

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of a kind custom two frame display hive. Made from Macrocarpa. It took a fair amount of time to manufacture this beauty. It will look awesome with the timber oiled or lacquered.   Note to self -

The obs hive in this thread had some pretty amazing joinery done. I enjoyed making it but it was More detailed than it needed to be. i have since simplified the design to make it more affordable

If you made the end posts wider and cut another groove in it just out from the glass you could then slide a sheet of hardboard in it to cover it up for transporting. That would protect the glass and

Posted Images

Awesome piece of work. Love to see it with occupants.

Yes it will be nice to see it with bees in too. I will have to get the owner to send me some photos.

When I was making this one i milled another set of uprights at the same time as they are quite precise in their measurements and a lot of compound cuts made. I have enough Macrocarpa to make another display hive similar to this.

• Like 1
Would this be suitable to transport and robust enough to take into preschools and schools? Is it glass or perspects windows?

Yes I think it is robust enough. Thats what this one is being used for, I think if it is going to be poked and prodded then thats asking for trouble even if made bullet proof. It is glass as it is simpler to clean and more scratch resistant.

If you made the end posts wider and cut another groove in it just out from the glass you could then slide a sheet of hardboard in it to cover it up for transporting. That would protect the glass and also keep it dark.

Yes I agree. In this case I was working with what dimension and length timber I had available so that wasnt an option. A simple cover could be made to slip over it for transporting.

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Josh said:

I will be in touch soon. Need approval from the minister of finance. 

My 5c worth (useless as it’s out of circulation) would be to use a turnbuckle latch. I wouldn’t trust a hook. (https://goo.gl/images/HkC66V)

The obs hive in this thread had some pretty amazing joinery done. I enjoyed making it but it was More detailed than it needed to be.

i have since simplified the design to make it more affordable and quicker to make.

I have sold over a dozen of them. If you are keen then I will put up a advert for them. Bear in mind it will be a winter project as I am now multitasking several jobs.

2403895C-6420-4B57-BD5F-66499ADCFC49.thumb.jpeg.6b6ec9038d61aa84adb75bd2cd248e7c.jpeg457A8B20-DFDB-4E43-9CD4-F185EF682680.thumb.jpeg.5330d886e388789fde2d3516e574f4df.jpeg1E76764A-9EC2-4F88-8DB2-EBEA548F4980.thumb.jpeg.783f08344b32e0bc6aab8014f8fdf26c.jpeg

DD5A1566-DA05-4AD8-AB04-CB2F6E92F918.thumb.jpeg.0c516060dd66a97c3c8139fa841167f1.jpeg

Edited by dansar
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Bighands said:

Hi Daniel,Can you construct a single frame observation hive and if so what price?I am impressed with the two frame observation hive you have made.

Hi. Yes I can. Single frame obs hive would be about $120 and courier and packaging is extra.

I can put an advert in the sales section if you would like one. Are you a donation member on this site? If you are you can use the sales section to purchase products that are advertised there.

Thanks, Daniel Martin.

I changed my one frame observation hive from glass to Perspex, did feel a lot better about handling, and always a bunch of kids eager to help carry it into class room.

I screw the lid on. Perspex has been in now for about 7 years and still clean, also easy to pull out and wipe clean. If I had one set up at home to look at I would use glass but it would not be moved.