Honeytap/Flow Hives

Anyone own one of these hives,certainly looks like an easy way to extract honey.Just wondering if they work as well as they say they do ?Supposedly designed in OZ but I see are available elsewhere too.Possibly get them reasonably cheap if one was to get a few beekeepers to do a "bulk" order 5? by sea freight?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tomm

I've bought a Flow Hive and am going to give it a go. I've read/watched material of people supporting this (not only Flow Hive marketing material) as well as material that classify it as gimmicky and questionable. I live in the Central North Island and it will be interesting to see what the weather's impact is on this hive and what we produce. If anything it is part of a learning curve. I don't look at this hive as a way to make beekeeping easy - I have already visited 'regular' hives to see what is involved and have helped inspecting a few. I'm really excited about using a Flow Hive and then be able to advise based on my experiences - good and bad. I'm wondering though if there are any other Kiwis with Flow Hives??? Or are people to nervous to post because of potential criticism...there is certainly a bit of it out there with regards to the Flow Hiveand I totally understand if people didn't want to announce it...

• Like 1
Hi Tomm

I've bought a Flow Hive and am going to give it a go. I've read/watched material of people supporting this (not only Flow Hive marketing material) as well as material that classify it as gimmicky and questionable. I live in the Central North Island and it will be interesting to see what the weather's impact is on this hive and what we produce. If anything it is part of a learning curve. I don't look at this hive as a way to make beekeeping easy - I have already visited 'regular' hives to see what is involved and have helped inspecting a few. I'm really excited about using a Flow Hive and then be able to advise based on my experiences - good and bad. I'm wondering though if there are any other Kiwis with Flow Hives??? Or are people to nervous to post because of potential criticism...there is certainly a bit of it out there with regards to the Flow Hiveand I totally understand if people didn't want to announce it...

Look up Flow Hive NZ on facebook if you use that media.

think some people came out as having flow hives on an earlier thread but I have not read much feed back on how they are going

Thanks Kaihoka...I'll keep an eye out:)

Look up Flow Hive NZ on facebook if you use that media.

Brilliant,thank you.

I liked the look of them, but my wallet objected to the price, and heaven forbid if I got AFB in one I'd probably cry (big manly tears, just so no-one gets the wrong idea ;) )

Plus, as a new-bee it's nice to pull a frame with capped honey and look at it. As @frazzledfozzle said, it's one of the most beautiful things in existence. (I think the comment was that it is THE most beautiful sight in the world, but she says that about Italian queens too) (not that I'm going to argue with her on either case)

• Like 1