Genaya

Searching for beekeeper "Neville"Waikato

hi guys my Mum has several (about 20) hives on her property at Te Miro near Cambridge belonging to Neville (doesn't know last name). She says he hasn't been in about 8 weeks, his mobile is disconnected and several hives are not looking good. I've asked her to search for a number on his gear so we can track him down that way, but really unsure of the best course of action. She doesn't like to see the bees struggling and doesn't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

8 weeks at this time of year and mobile phone disconected doesnt sound good. Prob about the best you can do is get assure quality to audit them and see if you can find a local Beek to do basic looking after. If they don't have varroa treatments in them it is too late for them. It is not the dun thing to work other people's permission (worth mentioning strongly) however others may be along shorty to give some more ideas.

Call Asurequality and give them the address the hives are at - they can search and if it's a registered site they can put you in touch with the beekeeper.

If there are serious questions about whether the hives are being attended to then Asure may want to inspect, but they can act only in regards to AFB concerns.

Eight weeks is a bit of a long rotation, but unless she's been watching 24/7 and/or she has to unlock to let him in every time, it's entirely possible he's been there in between and not been noticed.

As for arranging another beekeeper to care for the hives - no. There's no legal right or ability for you or anyone to do this. Either the beekeeper is contacted and takes care of his hives, or he isn't contactable and you can ask Asure/the AFB management agency to treat them as abandoned hives, which will ultimately see them destroyed if he doesn't front up.

• Like 1

I haven't seen some of my farmers in six months but that doesn't mean they are not there. Getting a registration number doesn't really help as maf will not tell you who's the number is. If the hives really are abandoned then it should be reported to Byron Taylor but I seriously doubt he will act just because someone hasn't been seen for two months. AFB is a big unknown of course and if any of the hives appear to be dead I would contact the management agency and ask for an urgent inspection. It's not unknown for people to just abandon hives but it is not common.

A photo would be helpful

some sites its years before i see the farmer. one site it was ~10 years before i met the farmer. seen the farm workers a couple times.

• Like 2

some sites its years before i see the farmer. one site it was ~10 years before i met the farmer. seen the farm workers a couple times.

But I'm sure they could contact you if they had concerns

I should have made it clearer in my post that you wouldnt be able to have sombody else work them (ethically) until you had made contact enough with the old beek for you to have confirmed that he no longer had any interest in them. The chances are (unless you have missed seeing them as above) you will need to let the hives die. The time periods involved in assassinating that he doesn't want them are too big.

Bees are insects that have survived for millions of years. don't think 8 weeks will be a survival threaterning event

You must be new to beekeeping....

Yep

4 weeks since I got myself a hive

If varroa treatments or swarm control have not been done during this window then the hive can go down hill very VERY quickly....

I would never have known that

Hence the comment ;-) The best way to learn is to read a heap and get a hive tool in ya hand!

The time periods involved in assassinating that he doesn't want them are too big.

Yeah I think we should wait a bit longer before getting assassins involved, it seems like a rather extreme solution.

If varroa treatments or swarm control have not been done during this window then the hive can go down hill very VERY quickly....

You need to get up to speed with who people are @Kiwifruiter roflol

• Like 2

Update... Address is not registered, still waiting on mum to find registration numbers. Since we don't have a surname the number is about the only way we can track him down apparently. Next step is I've been given the number of Byron Taylor to get someone out for an inspection. Thanks for your help all, confirmed my suspicion that I shouldn't be charging over to open up someone else's hives!

• Like 5

Mums "farm" is only 60 odd acres, she is there most of the time and would know if he's been. They spent much of the weekend clearing the area around the hives it was so overgrown the entrances had all but disappeared.

• Like 1

Time for moderator to split thread? Someone is still looking for Neville.

• Like 1

Hey guys, can we keep it civil here please. I am a beginner with an issue I would like to be taken seriously. I am sure there are other avenues you can access if you need to vent. At the end of the day we are all here because we care for bees. Some of us make money out of it, some the opposite.

I don't think you'll find Neville on here.

8 weeks between trips at this time of year perhaps you'll find him at the local watering hole.

Your mum may have missed him of course. I have bees at an elderly lady's place and I have jumped up and down and called out and waved when she's been in the garden and she hasn't seen me, as she's been engrossed in her gardening.

She sometimes doesn't see me for 5 months, but the hives certainly aren't abandoned and she has my number.

I don't understand why Neville hasn't left his number.

Write a note telling him to call in and put it in a ziplock bag under the hive strap

Finding Neville is going to be tricky. Byron may already have enough on his plate too. Since you are the centre of the catchment of the Waikato Domestic Beekeepers Assoc maybe they would take it on to inspect the apiary and take a bit of leadership? Provided this is done by a group of experienced beekeepers they might be able to report back to Byron if it is something that requires urgent action. contact via Waikato Domestic Beekeepers Association - Hobby Beekeeper Club, Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand

Great mating weather again today !

• Like 2

Update... Neville has been found! Mobile had died and he has made contact after spotting this thread. All is well thanks team as you were

• Like 5

Great mating weather again today !

He's lying again it's still raining :(

Update... Neville has been found!

Geez Neville finally!

Lol it's like finding Wally in a where's Wally book...it's kind of exciting :)