MissEmmz

NZBF Caught our first swarm

Thanks! We're pretty stoked.

We used an empty paper team box. We scooped from below, going up the wall with the lid of the box like filleting the bees off the wall, then brushed the remaining bees into the box from the grass.

• Like 2

Big thanks to @tudor . Got the call this morning and went and collected this evening.

The bees had been on the irrigation gate for 5 days. Not much activity. Took until almost all were in the box before any started flying.

Rehomed nicely into a new hive tonight.[ATTACH]15599[/ATTACH]

Poor bees, bet they didn't like being homeless.

They should be happy to have you :D

I'd hate to be outside for 5 days, poor bees :( I'm sure they will be very hungry, I wonder why they didn't find a better resting place, bad weather?

And I think this is a time to feed the swarm ASAP as @Emma reports lots of deaths.

Great to meet you yesterday and hope the swarm settles into their new home

Poor bees, bet they didn't like being homeless.

They should be happy to have you :D

I'd hate to be outside for 5 days, poor bees :( I'm sure they will be very hungry, I wonder why they didn't find a better resting place, bad weather?

We haven't had much bad weather here this past week. Just few passing drizzles. Maybe one downpour last Tuesday along with a lightning storm?

Great to meet you yesterday and hope the swarm settles into their new home

It was lovely to meet you too!

The bees are doing the circling up and up in the air this morning. Hope it's a good sign.

I'm jealous. I've set some "bee traps" but have had no luck yet. Hopefully swarming season is not over yet.

• Like 1

Good luck! Exciting.

What kind of hive are you housing the swarm in?

We've put them in a Langthrop full depth box with 8 frames of foundation box.

They swarmed again!!! but just to the bush next to the hive. Any ideas?

Hmmm, why not put a queen excluder under the box, just put them back in again, and give them a feed.

Stuff the box full when using foundation, so we usually put in 10 frames which helps them draw it nicely.

It may be that the queen is not there. And you don't have any brood to nail them down.

Good luck.

Plenty of time down here yet, season has only started russel

• Like 1

I'm thinking about starting a collection of all the weird words

I'm thinking about starting a collection of all the weird words

Do you mean spellling?

IMG_6911.JPG.bcaaef666cbcf7efdabf82ac8ca028a5.JPG

IMG_6911.JPG.bcaaef666cbcf7efdabf82ac8ca028a5.JPG

I make my living being a grammar policewoman. It's getting more difficult all the time. no 1 cn spll or punkchew8 ne moor.

Hmmm, why not put a queen excluder under the box, just put them back in again, and give them a feed.

Stuff the box full when using foundation, so we usually put in 10 frames which helps them draw it nicely.

It may be that the queen is not there. And you don't have any brood to nail them down.

Good luck.

Thanks @tudor ! will do that right now.

I think they swarmed when we went to check the sugar syrup.

How long should I feed them for?

We've put them in a Langthrop full depth box with 8 frames of foundation box.

They swarmed again!!! but just to the bush next to the hive. Any ideas?

Might not think one box is enough space for them, might not have a queen, too hungry to draw wax without feeding.

Sometimes it's a good idea to block them in with grass but not too thick and let them chew their way out, it gives them time to get used to the box.

• Like 1

Langthrop?

Langstroth.... typing on a tiny keyboard with autocorrect can be a pain!

Might not think one box is enough space for them, might not have a queen, too hungry to draw wax without feeding.

Sometimes it's a good idea to block them in with grass but not too thick and let them chew their way out, it gives them time to get used to the box.

We had one full depth box, with 10 frames and foundation. And an empty 3/4 box on the top, with a saucer of sugar syrup as we don't have a feeder (yet). We went in and removed the empty saucer and took off the empty box. I think this is what caused them t swarm out.

We managed to catch them again, and dropped them into the middle of the full depth box, having taken out 2 frmaes so we had room for the large group.

6 pm, we put the queen excluder on the bottom of the box, as suggested.

Will see what Monday brings us, and we don't plan on opening the box up this week, just to let the bees settle.

Langstroth.... typing on a tiny keyboard with autocorrect can be a pain!

We had one full depth box, with 10 frames and foundation. And an empty 3/4 box on the top, with a saucer of sugar syrup as we don't have a feeder (yet). We went in and removed the empty saucer and took off the empty box. I think this is what caused them t swarm out.

We managed to catch them again, and dropped them into the middle of the full depth box, having taken out 2 frmaes so we had room for the large group.

6 pm, we put the queen excluder on the bottom of the box, as suggested.

Will see what Monday brings us, and we don't plan on opening the box up this week, just to let the bees settle.

Probably leave the 3/4 box on for a couple of weeks, and feed them every other day if they take the sugar down.

It would be wise the get the removed frames in gently so all the frames can be well drawn.

Plenty of time down here yet, season has only started russel

Thanks for the hope!

• Like 1

Oh and remove QE soon as virgin queen will need to get out for mating flight ✈

• Like 1

Oh and remove QE soon as virgin queen will need to get out for mating flight ✈

Went home at interval from school as saw no activity this morning. I put the no activity due to rain.

The sun was starting to come out and there were maybe 30 or so bees coming and going in a quiet fashion, and 10 on the hydrangeas next to the hive, cleaning themselves and each other.