bali_nz

Pohutukawa

First blossoms starting to show on the pohutukawa out the window.

:)

That's in the north shore btw

• Like 1

wow...that's early

Theyll probably go nuts this year.i noticed a couple up north last weekend also. East coast. Would like them to hold of for another month. Could someone organize this please.

I've seen a lot of bud up coromandel too, but no bloom as yet.

Just realised the first half of that sentence could be misinterpreted.

Just realised the first half of that sentence could be misinterpreted.

Haha both probably make a very interesting brew of honey.?

Haha both probably make a very interesting brew of honey.?

Actually the bees would probably eat all there stores.(muchies)

We're back to the happy honey again then...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pohutukawa honey... my fave... If anybody has a spare bucket of it, feel free to let me know!

As far as I can remember..iv never seen the pohutu flower before Dec,here...I'll stick with that. Home hives should be in top form come beginning Dec.

There are early pohutukawa cultivars that have been bred, I think 'Springfire' is one, so probably not indicative of an early general flowering in the wild population, especially as you are on the North Shore.

Buds aren't far off bursting here either . Looks like quite a heavy flower set on the smaller trees especially .

• Like 1

Buds aren't far off bursting here either . Looks like quite a heavy flower set on the smaller trees especially .

Where are you located?

Where are you located?

Click on his avatar town "Ruawai" and google maps will show you where the region @Jas lives

Pohutukawa produces vast amounts of nectar but with a very high moisture content and unless it is very hot and dry bees usually ignore it if there is something better around. Mind you when the conditions are right it can be pretty amazing and I have even heard of bees working it by the full moon. kermadeck pohutukawa tend to flower at odd times of the year.

In Napier they have some white flowered trees which do nothing for me but being beside a car park with lots of hot ashfelt around they do seem very attractive to bees.

20161112_095531.jpg.723b546578bf2ff976ea531a13243fca.jpg

There are early pohutukawa cultivars that have been bred, I think 'Springfire' is one, so probably not indicative of an early general flowering in the wild population, especially as you are on the North Shore.

This is the tree, no idea what cultivar it is, but I can tell you that about 20 years ago Mum felt sorry for it as it was in the reduced to clear pile at Kings plant barn

20161112_095531.jpg.723b546578bf2ff976ea531a13243fca.jpg

[ATTACH]15585[/ATTACH]

This is the tree, no idea what cultivar it is, but I can tell you that about 20 years ago Mum felt sorry for it as it was in the reduced to clear pile at Kings plant barn

I saw a pohutukawa just up the road from us starting to flower the other day.

Drove past the pohutukawa at waikanae beach, Gizzy yesterday and they are starting to flower.:cool:

nope...still no signs here!

I am seeing lots of water clear nectar coming in the the honey supers fast. The nectar looks so clear you can see the bottom of the cells. My first thought was pohutukawa but that's not quite flowering yet in our area. All I see is manuka, rewa, cabbage trees heavy in flower. We back onto native bush and there is only a few pasture blocks around mainly in kaikuhe? grass with the odd weeds around like buttercup and small amounts o clover. Anyone having seeing the same and knows what it could be?

There are lots of pohutukawa flowering here in Hamilton, and they have been for a couple of weeks now.

I am seeing lots of water clear nectar coming in the the honey supers fast. The nectar looks so clear you can see the bottom of the cells. My first thought was pohutukawa but that's not quite flowering yet in our area. All I see is manuka, rewa, cabbage trees heavy in flower. We back onto native bush and there is only a few pasture blocks around mainly in kaikuhe? grass with the odd weeds around like buttercup and small amounts o clover. Anyone having seeing the same and knows what it could be?

I think cabbage tree nectar is clear.

Thanks Roger for your reply...we have been away camping up north. You could be right with cabbage tree nectar.

It's Unusual for us to get lighter coloured honey at this time of the year. The bees have obviously not bothered with the Manuka this year.

I also noticed a bit of that wild carrot weed around( Queen Anne's lace) flowering.

Am seeing the first pohutukawa blossoms up here.   ?!?!

6 hours ago, CraBee said:

IMG_0675.jpg

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, CraBee said:

Even down here in golden bay