Desmo

NZBF Broodmapper

Found this website during my meanderings around the interwebz.

Broodmapper

Personally, as a new-bee, I think it was interesting and educational. Many pictures of different cells to look at and I think I learned a little by creating a login and working through the cell identification tutorial, and a couple of dozen pictures of frames.

Posting here as it may be helpful to some of the other new-bees.

If any of the more experienced beeks are familiar with it , I'd be grateful if you could post a comment, either negative or positive about it's educational value.

Cheers

Desmo

Red crayon works just as well, X on top of brood frames, more next visit add another X, less, work out why! Simple easy $1 for a crayon. Wipes off with glove. Easy visual way to track progress for hobby beeks. Keep good records in notebook, write on lid, what ever works, or do all three.

• Like 1

@Bron It wasn't about mapping my hives, it's mapping frames being used in an American study of pesticides and miticides. I was referring to it's educational value to those of us who have not had the chance to look at a-lot of real hives yet.

I'm guessing from the name you thought this was software, and at a price. It's not, and it's free to participate ;)

Cool, thanks for the post.

Slightly off-topic, but I would love to see a well-organised close-up photo collection of the things you might see in a hive - I haven't really found one online yet. The photo sequence of the development stages of egg-larvae is a good one on that site.

Of course you learn this stuff best as you inspect hives, but the more high quality photo examples there are available, the easier it is for people to recognise what's what...and especially with disease recognition, the quicker beginners get better at it, the better it is for everyone.

• Like 1

For what it is worth I think it is a very informative and interesting site, I am still working my way through the links and pages.

I am completely new to bee keeping and haven't managed to find a mentor in my area and so the sum of my knowledge is a course consisting of 3 Saturday mornings and what I have gleaned from books and the web (this place in particular) so anything that might add to my knowledge is very welcome.

For what it is worth I think it is a very informative and interesting site, I am still working my way through the links and pages.

I am completely new to bee keeping and haven't managed to find a mentor in my area and so the sum of my knowledge is a course consisting of 3 Saturday mornings and what I have gleaned from books and the web (this place in particular) so anything that might add to my knowledge is very welcome.

People like you are the reason I posted Duncan. Glad to hear you're finding it useful.

My first hive only started producing brood recently (I checked it on Friday and found eggs just starting to lay over, so I know from the time spent on broodmapper that they were probably 2 days old. Over time I'll supplement the small amount of knowledge I have with a bit of real life experience. But I had to start somewhere.

• Like 2

yes, it's a really useful site isn't it!

• Like 1

Thanks @Desmo .

Like you, we have not found a local mentor, and we have never had a close look inside a hive.

Great site to learn from, until we get our "real life" experience.

And I would like to second what @AeroviewBrewery said, and that's to have a folder in the media section of well labelled high quality photographs of what we can experience.