ikwezinz

Feeding a Hive Doctor nuc

Hi, any suggestions on how to feed a hive doctor nuc, I have feeder lids for all my timber nucs, but am stumped on how to feed these nucs, supplies are average across all but my urban hives and rain isn't helping.

Hi, any suggestions on how to feed a hive doctor nuc, I have feeder lids for all my timber nucs, but am stumped on how to feed these nucs, supplies are average across all but my urban hives and rain isn't helping.

Hope I've understood what you want - but I use either one frame or two frame feeders in corflute / Hive Doctor nucs and other nucs.

I feed some of mine using a square of newspaper on the top bars and pour a mound of raw sugar on it, enough so you can still get the lid down.

Just fill a ziplock bag with syrup. Place it on top of the frames and make some small cuts in the Baggie and the bees will drain it quickly.

If you have some drawn comb that is empty of either brood or nectar then squirt syrup into the frame /comb and replace in the hive.

There are the inverted water bottle things on trademehttps://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/1196919821

Hope I've understood what you want - but I use either one frame or two frame feeders in corflute / Hive Doctor nucs and other nucs.

Thanks, hadn't considered frame feeders which is a bit dumb !

Thanks, hadn't considered frame feeders which is a bit dumb !

Losing 20% of your frames/potential brood space is a negative for expanding a nuc.

Losing 20% of your frames/potential brood space is a negative for expanding a nuc.

I agree, I just need to get some stores into them for the next few weeks until our flow finally kicks in

I agree, I just need to get some stores into them for the next few weeks until our flow finally kicks in

I have run out of frame feeders before, and so just pulled the most empty frame from a nuc and poured sugar syrup into the cells, if you do both sides it can hold maybe 500ml. Also agree with @Roger that losing that space is not ideal with a frame feeder.

I have run out of frame feeders before, and so just pulled the most empty frame from a nuc and poured sugar syrup into the cells, if you do both sides it can hold maybe 500ml. Also agree with @Roger that losing that space is not ideal with a frame feeder.

Agree - it's a good solution - either pour it into each side or squirt it in with a plastic drink bottle holding the frame upright. Quick and dirty.

I currently have a frame feeder in a nuc containing a small (circa 2 frames of bees) swarm.

I kept the feeder empty to begin with to have the bees eat the honey they brought along but have now given them 1:1 syrup to help with frame drawing.

I figure once they have drawn all the frames and have some uncapped nectar / syrup stored in those I'll replace the feeder with another frame to draw - let them fill up the nuc a bit more before putting them into a full size box.

First time I'm at this so might not be the right way of thinking...but I figured I'm not losing space if there's undrawn foundation frames still.

• Like 1