I just spent a relatively painless hour updating all my details but then I wanted to add one new site.

Not a problem until I entered the latitude, longitude which I got straight off Google Earth. It refused to accept that my coordinates were real and after six attempts I have given up.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong before I completely lose it.

39° et cetera south 177° et cetera east.

Full coordinates not included for obvious reasons.

What happens if you use the "Show on Map" - if you drag the location on there it should update. However it doesn't reflect the new coordinates for 24hours

@john berry, I always have trouble with this too.

You must put the minus sign in front eg -32 then full stop instead of degree sign then the rest of the numbers.

Eg -38.12345 then 177.12345

Hope that helps. (I had a new one to put in too so checked it by doing above and it worked.)

I only ever use the show map feature and then zoom in. Once I am zoomed in relatively close, I click on the "+" at the right hand side and turn on "Highres Orthos" on the map to give me aerial photo which is much the same as google earth anyway. This saves me having to use google earth and writing down the co-ord's.

39 is North of the equator -39 is South, I'm picking it has boundries set that you're outside of.

I picked up on the minus bit after about the fourth try and way before I asked for help but thanks for that anyway. I know it is a valid location because it is just down the road from another site which has a very similar location number. Getting very near the point of cancelling everything on the whole site and telling them to fix it themselves. I tried their map but can't get enough detail to locate the site accurately which one assumes is the whole idea.I tried their map including the high resolution but it didn't seem to do anything.

Okay. I tried their map and decided that near enough was good enough. Still wouldn't work. It's not like I can't read a map, I can, I was in search and rescue for many years. I would be quite happy to give them a New Zealand grid but they seem to want long and lat which nowhere else uses except Google Earth. Their own map wouldn't give me a long lat . I now know why there are so many unregistered hives out there

It would be helpful if they used google earth map.

Their one lacks detail, and takes far too long to zoom in with a dodgy internet connection like ours and many rural folk suffer with

I have also had issues with their map and gone with the near enough is good enough theory. If the site can't be found with the directions they are to dumb to find it anyway and I'd be expecting to be notified if they were looking to do hive checks as I have no intention of letting anyone through my hives without me there.

• Like 1

Alternatively go to New Zealand Topographic Map - NZ Topo Map zoom in and pinpoint your spot. In the left column of the page you can toggle between GPS or convert to NZTM coordinates for the spot you have highlighted. APIWEB accepts either GPS or NZTM coordinates from memory.

I only ever use the show map feature and then zoom in. Once I am zoomed in relatively close, I click on the "+" at the right hand side and turn on "Highres Orthos" on the map to give me aerial photo which is much the same as google earth anyway. This saves me having to use google earth and writing down the co-ord's.

That's exactly what i do to. Too many issues trying to get it to work the other way.

With the hassle I've had with the Apiweb map.. I've finally learned how to use Google maps on my tablet, when sorting out details of a new site all I do is bring up approximate area on the map then tap satellite box and enlarge follow road to site (rapid number will show)bring up location of hives PIN that area. It will give coordinates of that site..very clear and accurate.

John what i did the first time i entered a new site some years ago now before they had high res map, was went to the gate on the road and then in the comments part wrote site entrance only because the stupid mapping system this site offers wont let me accuratly find the location. Sheryl rang me next morning problem got sorted. there are few topics on here about apiweb and really, for a so called professional (important) site its pretty pathetic really. its almost emarasing a clued up 15 year old would make a better site, i'm dissapointed there hasnt been any real improvments since it launched.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Trevor. It worked perfectly for the coordinates. Looks like Google Earth gives GPS coordinates rather than true lat and long. On the minus side apiweb would still not accept them as being real coordinates.

Tomorrow I shall waste some more time trying to get hold of a real person to sort out this problem. I realise I'm not the most competent computer user out there but I'm not the worst either and you would think this would be set up so that most people could at least have a chance of getting their.

Himself gps is linked to google earth, maybee that's why it works for me?

Even getting on their site was a trial, I had written down the password but my hive registration number E4 doesn't work and after trial and error I worked out you needed three zeros in front. I'm not a maths genius either but E4 and E0004 are exactly the same and my registration number was mine before computers let alone their silly website

• Like 2

Its the right idea i was so excited when i got asked to trail this site before it went public, but was soon dissapointed and like i say in the five odd years its been running not much has changed, for a muliti million dollar industry this site is for quite a basic site really embarising, imagine if it was twice as user friendly which it should be, registerd sites i would think would increase. I would love to know how much money is alocated for this running this system and where it goes if there is money allocated for it.

• Like 1

I tried NZ grid but it doesn't like that either. I never thought anything could be more frustrating than a lawnmower that wouldn't start but I have found it.

• Like 2

I still do mine with ink and a quill, envelope, stamp pop it in the post. Works every time.

I do still use the site to cancel a site, that bit works.

I think they what the coordinates in

Decimal Degrees

Go to google earth

Got to preferences

Click on 3D view

It show lat / long

Click on Decimal Degree

• Like 2

I think they what the coordinates in

Decimal Degrees

Go to google earth

Got to preferences

Click on 3D view

It show lat / long

Click on Decimal Degree

Google earth has diffent ways coordinates are written down with decimal and thing in the coordinates that don't work for API web if you don't change it

Breaking News. I just filled in my new apiary registration again using exactly the same numbers as last time and for some strange reason it worked.

a difficulty i had when reporting my afb a few weeks ago was, that it insisted on filling in the "treatment" field.

so i was forced to enter a date of destruction though i didn't have a fire permit yet and the hives were still alive at that point.

i can see that this doesn't necessarily help if you want to have every afb finding reported immediately.

(here's hoping someone with links to the guys in charge might actually read these comments and pass it on.)

In the Apiweb map window one of the layers is "Tutin Risk". Viewing my own region this layer seems to show urban/rural demarcation, but I can't see anything with regards to risk classification. Not that I really want it to nor need it to, but I just wonder what it is all about. Has the forum discussed that before? Does anyone know the intent or purpose of the Tutin layer in the apiweb software? Is this special feature only special users can unlock?