Philbee

Effect for incubator temp on emergence

I have no idea how much power one uses. That was a question asked a while ago and then people started talking gobbledegook and lost me.

@frazzledfozzle, @kaihoka is right. Backup power is fairly straightforward. The key is how much and for how long?

I have no idea how much power one uses. That was a question asked a while ago and then people started talking gobbledegook and lost me.

Is it a commercial incubator or a sparky special? Power consumption can be measured or estimated.

They have a UPS with an option for adding another battery now .

You could keep that spare battery on trickle charge with a solar charger

@frazzledfozzle, @kaihoka is right. Backup power is fairly straightforward. The key is how much and for how long?

Is it a commercial incubator or a sparky special? Power consumption can be measured or estimated.

I think I've likely got the same one as @frazzledfozzle - from John. I can send him an email @Rob and get the specs if you like. It is essentially a couple of plates like you would see in a toaster with those flat element wires and a computer fan.

You can see I am also not electrically minded.

I have also been considering back up power source and haven't got anything in place.

This year we have had two 12hr power outages. Petrol generator would be the next item to have on board.

I think I've likely got the same one as @frazzledfozzle - from John. I can send him an email @Rob and get the specs if you like. It is essentially a couple of plates like you would see in a toaster with those flat element wires and a computer fan.

Your first option should always be to consult with the original manufacturer. If that doesn't workb then you're close enough we could simply measure it.

What about an inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter in your truck or a battery

Or you could convert it to run on solar and power cuts won't be an issue

• Like 1

Hey @Rob Stockley would this be a good humidity controller,Humidity Controller (AC powered)

One issue with these controllers, I cant figure is how do you actually manipulate humidity at an automation level?

The control box will tell you or a device that the humidity must go up or down but what device or system will actually do the work?

One issue with these controllers, I cant figure is how do you actually manipulate humidity at an automation level?

The control box will tell you or a device that the humidity must go up or down but what device or system will actually do the work?

Some sort of thermostat?

The same way you do in timber drying kiln. Venting and a water bath that can boil water off.

Hey @Rob Stockley would this be a good humidity controller,Humidity Controller (AC powered)

Yes Tony that would work to within about a degree depending on what type of heater element you choose. That's a simple on/off relay type controller. I prefer PID controllers for their temperature stability.

I am sure one of the cannabis indoor grow shops would have everything needed for an incubator, timers , heat pads etc

I am sure one of the cannabis indoor grow shops would have everything needed for an incubator, timers , heat pads etc

So funny, but so true.

• Like 1

The same way you do in timber drying kiln. Venting and a water bath that can boil water off.

Remember that we are only heating to 34 deg C.

Water is relatively stable at that temp.

Maybe a very small volume of water with one of those small 12 volt coffee heater (immersion heater ) would work but you dont want the water heater to affect the incubator temp as there would be no way to control the heat produced by this humidity production.

I have had this happen when Ive put hot water logged timber in my incubator.

The humidity rises and so does the temp

It's likely Im over thinking the problem and there is an easy way??

Or a pet shop if you'd rather not mingle with the gardners.. All the fish setup stuff would work.

• Like 2

It's likely Im over thinking

Don't forget that temperature and humidity are linked. As temperature goes up, humidity reduces so you need a controller that takes both parameters into consideration.

Don't forget that temperature and humidity are linked. As temperature goes up, humidity reduces so you need a controller that takes both parameters into consideration.

Yes and that is a problem

Im going to stick with the manual system of wetting a stick of wood and placing it in the cabinet each time I use the machine.

In my setup there are a couple of ice cream containers and various bottles with their lids off down in the engine room supplying water vapor but that seems to only hold humidity at 50% in my case when I like to see it near 60%

• Like 1

I didn't build my own. I bought one of these.

INCUBATOR - FULLY AUTOMATIC - HOLDS 48 EGGS

It works perfectly and is exactly the right dimensions for what I wanted. My cell bars, which are the internal length of a standard frame, fit inside with around a cm to spare. It holds temperature very well.

Hi @Otto how do you hold the queen cells in it? I am wondering of the foam for in the Caricell holder will work?

Hi @Otto how do you hold the queen cells in it? I am wondering of the foam for in the Caricell holder will work?

My friend went to the upholstery shop here and got some foam and drilled some holes with a small holesaw.

I mostly store them in the incubator on their bars straight out of the cell raisers (see attached picture). I have also stored them in the foam insert (similar to a carricell one) and yes and this works just fine too.

5992eb8a0b508_Incubatorwithcellbars.jpg.08b61a4892aa7dd83d1363073d7d0c26.jpg

5992eb8a0b508_Incubatorwithcellbars.jpg.08b61a4892aa7dd83d1363073d7d0c26.jpg

• Like 1

I measured the power consumption of my fridge incubator this evening and got around 1.3A although the element is only running 1/20th of the time. I also dug out Goliath, a hang over from my geekier days as a sys admin. The larger box has had the electronics removed to house more batteries.

20161107_184413.jpg.1361654bf4d22be9d73b72279bc0a6a0.jpg

The fifteen 8Ahr batteries would in theory run my incubator for nearly 100 hours. Halve that for safety and that's still a very long power cut. Unfortunately the batteries are likely dead from a long period of not being used. I'll leave it on over night and see how they take a charge.

20161107_184413.jpg.1361654bf4d22be9d73b72279bc0a6a0.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really keen to get something reliable for major power cuts of a few hours which we seem to have around here.

Last time I posted about it I gave up because I couldn't understand what people were telling me :(

Try these guys UPS - PBTech.co.nz computer uninterrupted power supplies. Just plug and play. There's a range of prices depending on what the load is likely to be. I can't imagine an incubator will be a large load for a cheaper/smaller UPS @Rob Stockley may have a comment. They also provide surge protection.

I measured the power consumption of my fridge incubator this evening and got around 1.3A although the element is only running 1/20th of the time. I also dug out Goliath, a hang over from my geekier days as a sys admin. The larger box has had the electronics removed to house more batteries.

[ATTACH=full]15519[/ATTACH]

The fifteen 8Ahr batteries would in theory run my incubator for nearly 100 hours. Halve that for safety and that's still a very long power cut. Unfortunately the batteries are likely dead from a long period of not being used. I'll leave it on over night and see how they take a charge.

Snap - with details!

Remember the old night store heater , Im not sure if they are still used but they mount on the wall and heat internal bricks during the night on cheap electricity then release the heat during the day.

Imagine if those bricks only needed to heat an incubator instead of a large room.

The system could run for days

This is the system I use (stored water) and will continue to develop as I go along.