Sonbee

Is it common for bees to swarm to the exact same place?.

Last Wednesday I got a call to remove a swarm from a tree in my husbands workmates apple tree. It was a decent swarm and I removed it to my place 10km away.

Yesterday I was called again and this time there was two even bigger swarms in the exact same apple tree.

Is it common for swarms to end up in the same place as previous swarms? Do they leave some scent to attract other swarms to the same place? Both these last two swarms had queens and were about 1m apart.

• Like 1

Last Wednesday I got a call to remove a swarm from a tree in my husbands workmates apple tree. It was a decent swarm and I removed it to my place 10km away.

Yesterday I was called again and this time there was two even bigger swarms in the exact same apple tree.

Is it common for swarms to end up in the same place as previous swarms? Do they leave some scent to attract other swarms to the same place? Both these last two swarms had queens and were about 1m apart.

Yes. They swarm to the same places. Especially if the other swarm has left any combs there

There are all sorts of theories, maybe there's a hive upwind that is poorly managed. The original swarm settled there for a reason, evidently the second swarm liked it too.

I hope other swarms settle in the same place I got the last one, was very easy.

• Like 1

Yes. They swarm to the same places. Especially if the other swarm has left any combs there

There was no comb formed from the first swarm last week but I was told it had been there for several days. The last two had just settled a few hours before I got there.

I just thought it was strange to have three swarms settle in the same tree when there were other similar trees within the property and over the fences that I looked over. I could not see any hives but there must be one or more rather close I suspect.

There was no comb formed from the first swarm last week but I was told it had been there for several days. The last two had just settled a few hours before I got there.

I just thought it was strange to have three swarms settle in the same tree when there were other similar trees within the property and over the fences that I looked over. I could not see any hives but there must be one or more rather close I suspect.

They don't usually swarm very far unless they are disturbed and they 'run away' from you, they definitely leave behind a smell.

I usually get all the bees off and then either smoke the absolute :crap: out of it with the smoker or spray the area with air freshener.

It's the same reason why swarms will move into a stack of supers, it wasn't because they didn't like their old home, it's because they thought it was too small, if bees have been there before it must be a good place to be so others will go there too.

• Like 1

Those are two pretty good swarms.

I would say for sure there are hives near you.. like quite near.

It's not my place, just a lady that doesn't like bees and the black buzzing whirlpool of a settling swarm! I would think it was an impressive sight. I looked over all the surrounding fences but could not see anything.

She is worried about more and has two small dogs that live in the garden.

Any suggestions on if to put a swarm trap there to encourage them to settle more quickly or if to smoke or wash the tree down to try discourage any more that head that way.

• Like 1

I was told to rub the branches that they had settle on to somewhere more convenient to catch the swarm. I had wondered if you use a paper mask on the intake of a vacuum cleaner and suck up the pheromones of a hived swarm, if that is sufficient as a bait.

Air freshener. Spray it where the swarms were.

Or a quick squirt of BeeQuick for those concerned about bees. Not sure how long it lasts but it certainly gets them marching.

Then I'd have to move my ladder

Should have left my ladder there as just been back today for number four. Just a very small swarm this time.

Should have left my ladder there as just been back today for number four. Just a very small swarm this time.

Happy to take one or two off your hands if you don't want them

The first and last were small the two others very big. I'm just leaving them alone for a few days and will check in then to see what's in there.

I can't believe all will have queens so will merge them if need be.

What area were you getting them from, happy to collect if you're unable to

I can't believe all will have queens so will merge them if need be.

They wouldn't have left the hive without one !

From the two big swarms I saw a queen in each one. One kept flying out of the box and crawling around on the lid and the other looked old.

Hope I ended up getting both and they are ok. I've got a bit better prepared with a queen cage if I ever get a call for a swarm again and see the queen running around!

• Like 1

From the two big swarms I saw a queen in each one. One kept flying out of the box and crawling around on the lid and the other looked old.

Hope I ended up getting both and they are ok. I've got a bit better prepared with a queen cage if I ever get a call for a swarm again and see the queen running around!

Wow crazy, I've seen so many swarms and I've only seen the queen in one as I was watching them march in the front door in she went.

You must have so much luck!

• Like 1

Wow crazy, I've seen so many swarms and I've only seen the queen in one as I was watching them march in the front door in she went.

You must have so much luck!

Caught this swarm on Friday night at a friends house while we were drinking. Watched the queen march into the hive near the rear (I thought she'd lead the pack!).

IMG_2850.JPG.941a44a5174eb4988b556cfd2636ee7c.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG.941a44a5174eb4988b556cfd2636ee7c.JPG

• Like 4