Hi

Can I get some opinions please (sorry inadvance for the essay).

I have 1 hive (hive 1) that was 1 full depth and 3 x 3/4 boxes no queen excluder. Good food stores and space is ok - still drawing wax on some frames and outer frames in top 3 boxes dont have much in them if anything.

Apivar is on week 5 in brood box and 1st 3/4 as there is brood there to.

We collected a swarm 3 weeks ago and went through my hives to double check if it had come from 1 of mine. It did not appear to have and I have been doing week to 10 day checks for swarm cells. (this is a side piece of info as you may think it came from this angry hive???)

This 1 particular hive, that I am confused by, was checked at 10 days ago and was very angry which is unusual, so after a quick check if there was any swarm cells/ broken down queen cells, I got it closed up. I had a even more beginner than me with me. The main thing I noticed was that there was a brood nest in the top box (box4) and a brood nest in box 1 and 2. 3 days later I went back in to it to do a thorough check and the bees were very very angry. As there were eggs in the top nest and the bottom nest and I couldn't see a queen I decided to do a walk away split.

I took the top two boxes for 1 hive and left the them closed up for 3 days as there was no space next to the original hive, so I had to put it about 3m away I checked it today (7 days post split) and there is capped queen cells and uncapped queen cells and only hatching brood and older larvae and the bees were nice. (hive 6 made of boxes 3 and 4 of original hive)

The original hive (boxes 1 and 2) is packed full of bees, has multiple queen cells - so I squashed all but 1 big one that is capped, but there also appears to be relatively young brood (older than 4 days but not sure how much older)- so I am thinking despite splitting it this hive has the old queen and is planning on swarming? There are frames that are still getting wax built so it is not full.

1 - Why would the original hive have a split brood nest?

2 - Should I split the grumpy hive again?

3 - Do you think the grumpy hive has a queen?? is she my problem? should I find and squash her?

I am not liking working these grumpy bees all the other 5 hives are calm nice bees.

Thank you got getting this far and for reading my essay. Also Thank you in advance for advice.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Can I get some opinions please (sorry inadvance for the essay).

I have 1 hive (hive 1) that was 1 full depth and 3 x 3/4 boxes no queen excluder. Good food stores and space is ok - still drawing wax on some frames and outer frames in top 3 boxes dont have much in them if anything.

Apivar is on week 5 in brood box and 1st 3/4 as there is brood there to.

We collected a swarm 3 weeks ago and went through my hives to double check if it had come from 1 of mine. It did not appear to have and I have been doing week to 10 day checks for swarm cells. (this is a side piece of info as you may think it came from this angry hive???)

This 1 particular hive, that I am confused by, was checked at 10 days ago and was very angry which is unusual, so after a quick check if there was any swarm cells/ broken down queen cells, I got it closed up. I had a even more beginner than me with me. The main thing I noticed was that there was a brood nest in the top box (box4) and a brood nest in box 1 and 2. 3 days later I went back in to it to do a thorough check and the bees were very very angry. As there were eggs in the top nest and the bottom nest and I couldn't see a queen I decided to do a walk away split.

I took the top two boxes for 1 hive and left the them closed up for 3 days as there was no space next to the original hive, so I had to put it about 3m away I checked it today (7 days post split) and there is capped queen cells and uncapped queen cells and only hatching brood and older larvae and the bees were nice. (hive 6 made of boxes 3 and 4 of original hive)

The original hive (boxes 1 and 2) is packed full of bees, has multiple queen cells - so I squashed all but 1 big one that is capped, but there also appears to be relatively young brood (older than 4 days but not sure how much older)- so I am thinking despite splitting it this hive has the old queen and is planning on swarming? There are frames that are still getting wax built so it is not full.

1 - Why would the original hive have a split brood nest?

2 - Should I split the grumpy hive again?

3 - Do you think the grumpy hive has a queen?? is she my problem? should I find and squash her?

I am not liking working these grumpy bees all the other 5 hives are calm nice bees.

Thank you got getting this far and for reading my essay. Also Thank you in advance for advice.

I think there is every chance the original hive may still swarm. You could split it again. To do this locate the Q and leave the Q in the original position with all the foraging bees. You could make this hive nuc size or more, but this hive should not be as strong as the split you take (including the Q cell you identified) which you should move away. The concept is you are artificially swarming by removing the Q and the foraging bees from the rest of the hive, which thinks it has swarmed. In the hive you move try and stagger some drawn comb through the brood nest(s) so once the VQ is mated there is plenty of laying room.

Re 1. It is normal for brood to move up the boxes. Re 2 as above. Re 3 see how that split the Q is in behaves, if they have ongoing attitudinal issues you could give her a headache...

So no eggs anywhere now?

It sounds like the whole thing may have been queenless 10 days ago when you checked, and all the cells in both splits are emergency cells .

Queenless hives tend to 'roar' and act out of character in an aggressive way.

So no eggs anywhere now?

It sounds like the whole thing may have been queenless 10 days ago when you checked, and all the cells in both splits are emergency cells .

There were eggs 7 days ago when I did the split but I guess I could have accidentally killed/lost the queen when I was splitting them.

There were eggs 7 days ago when I did the split but I guess I could have accidentally killed/lost the queen when I was splitting them.

oops thats right no eggs in either hive now

oops thats right no eggs in either hive now

I'd leave a good cell in each split and let them get on with it