Mating nuc progress

Hmmm, so this queen is clearly mated and producing a tidy pattern of worker brood. No shortage of stores. Not sure what to make of the multiple eggs in the most recently drawn frame. Could it simply be overproduction or is it an indication of some other problem. Tomorrow she'll be caged and placed into a full queenless nuc with loads of lay space. It'll be interesting to see her progress . 20161029_133750.jpg.5b882d8883636757d06267f3934f1611.jpg

20161029_133629.jpg.c957aa03f49d6c93f02594e14acb5a74.jpg

20161029_133654.jpg.aad822daefe614be86f10d73d8a29829.jpg

20161029_133629.jpg.c957aa03f49d6c93f02594e14acb5a74.jpg

20161029_133654.jpg.aad822daefe614be86f10d73d8a29829.jpg

20161029_133750.jpg.5b882d8883636757d06267f3934f1611.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She's newly mated and wants to lay eggs. The frames are small so she's not got enough area to lay in which is why she's laying multiple times in a cell.

It's kinda like busting to go to the loo if you got to go there's no stopping it.

Thanks Fraz. She's due to move into a full nuc so timing only off by a little .

Looking good Rob.

Do you think the addition of pheromones you mentioned in a previous post were useful/not useful?

The queen pheromone certainly calmed the bees and held them initially. I only had drawn frames in one compartment and a good portion of the bees migrated to that compartment. Next time all compartments will start with drawn frames and brood. I think it's important that each compartment is populated with bees from different hives so that they identify as different. Might get less drift that way.

I have a FD super with a mesh screen over the bottom, and feet to keep it off the ground for air movement. I shake in bees from brood frames. Put hive mat and lid on between hives. Generally allow one well covered frame per mating nuc. Once all jumbled up in the box there is very little issue with drift back to hive ( none if the hives are from another apiary). I spray the bees with 1:1 syrup before shaking in to the collector box as it minimises flying.

For whatever reason I don't know, I seem to persistently have one queen that lays multiple eggs. It does not appear to affect their brood pattern or performance.

Marshmallow works well, but tends to release them earlier than harder candy

For whatever reason I don't know, I seem to persistently have one queen that lays multiple eggs. It does not appear to affect their brood pattern or performance.

Marshmallow works well, but tends to release them earlier than harder candy

That's cause you need to use Giant Marsmallows....but throw all those yucky pink ones away

Hmmm, so this queen is clearly mated and producing a tidy pattern of worker brood. No shortage of stores. Not sure what to make of the multiple eggs in the most recently drawn frame. Could it simply be overproduction or is it an indication of some other problem. Tomorrow she'll be caged and placed into a full queenless nuc with loads of lay space. It'll be interesting to see her progress . [ATTACH=full]15326[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15327[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15328[/ATTACH]

She is a nice looking golden queen and stands out from the other bees.

I tried to find my carniolans queen the other day and it was hopeless .

She has the same color and markings as the bees around her. Next time I find her she's going to be tagged.

now that the hive is full of bees covering every frame its hard to see anything.

I have never had a strong hive to deal with before . How do you get the bees off the frame without upsetting them .

I have never had a strong hive to deal with before . How do you get the bees off the frame without upsetting them .

Working from the bottom box up I remove two frames then shake the bees into the hive. I used to shake them onto the top bars but you get a lot of fliers that way. Two sharpish shakes with the frame half withdrawn works well for me.

Is there a simple alternative to fondant for plugging queen introduction cages? Marshmallow perhaps?

I was borrowing some queen cages from Frank Lindsay this morning and was going to ask about fondant. He showed me how to use jelly bean as the candy. We joked about saving the black ones.

I was borrowing some queen cages from Frank Lindsay this morning and was going to ask about fondant. He showed me how to use jelly bean as the candy. We joked about saving the black ones.

Well don't leave us hanging.....did you chew it first?:)

I set up a 6 way q.castle in a half deep and populated with a cell each and bees friday evening. The box is raised off on runners. Each compartment has a hole with mesh in the bottom and pin holes in the entrance blocker. Was intending on leaving them blocked up untill tomorrow but it looks like another warm day ahead and im a bit concerned about over heating. Is there any harm letting them out early? Bees are from a separate apiary.. They only have starter strips of wax, each has a jar feeder with empty FD on top with lid . Any advice welcome.☺

Working from the bottom box up I remove two frames then shake the bees into the hive. I used to shake them onto the top bars but you get a lot of fliers that way. Two sharpish shakes with the frame half withdrawn works well for me.

@kaihoka I missed a bit. I never try to remove all the bees on a frame. The aim is to inspect all brood, so you only have to reduce be numbers to the point that you can see every cell while the bees keep moving. When there's a concentration of bees @john berry showed me how if you blow on them they move on without getting grumpy. In reality you skip past the healthy brood and look for the outliers, the odd ones that don't look right or haven't emerged while all those around them have emerged.

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to (i don't) shake off every bee. Being quick and methodical keeps the girls calm and compliant.

@kaihoka I missed a bit. I never try to remove all the bees on a frame. The aim is to inspect all brood, so you only have to reduce be numbers to the point that you can see every cell while the bees keep moving. When there's a concentration of bees @john berry showed me how if you blow on them they move on without getting grumpy. In reality you skip past the healthy brood and look for the outliers, the odd ones that don't look right or haven't emerged while all those around them have emerged.

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to (i don't) shake off every bee. Being quick and methodical keeps the girls calm and compliant.

I did blow on them and they parted a bit.

Lots of bees makes finding the queen difficult.

Also I have started wearing gloves again , I was getting stung, just because there were so many bees around where I picked the frames up from the box I accidentally squash them.

I think I will start taking 2 frames out instead of one.

Putting the frame back without squashing them was tricky too.