Nigel

bee hive knocked over by cows

I've had an enquiry about a cow that has knocked jumped a fence and knocked over some bee hives. The how has been stung and the owner of the property that the hives were on has said the cow has killed the bees. Is this possible - how long can a beehive be knocked over for before the bees abscond. The hives were knocked over for 4 hours. What is the legal distance that hive can be placed by a boundary fence?

unless the hives have been smashed to bits, the bees will most likely be fine.

unless unlucky enough the queen got squished.

what kills a knocked over hives is rain/water running through it.

if knocked over and it hasn't been raining, just put them back upright and most likely they will be fine.

What is the legal distance that hive can be placed by a boundary fence?

no legal requirement for hive placement.

owner of cow may be liable for damage to hives, fence etc.

fences are for keeping stock in, not for keeping stock out.

• Like 1

so can I place twenty hives along the fence line with my neighbour whos dog ate my chicken????

just a thought..........why have they contacted you rather than the beek who owns the hives ????

so can I place twenty hives along the fence line with my neighbour whos dog ate my chicken????

in rural areas yes. apart from starting a neighbor war, nothing stopping anyone putting hives on the boundary. really commonly done in manuka areas.

in urban areas there is council rules. ie hives should not be a nuisance or danger to people.

I will get some photos of the hives. What could cause a cow to jump a fence and knock over hives?

The bull has been stung in the process?

stings won't do anything to the stock. in fact its probably quite good, stock will learn to stay away.

What could cause a cow to jump a fence and knock over hives?

the grass was greener?

fancied the bull ?

used to have problems at the old place with the neighbors starving their stock, the would push through the fences trying to get food.

i can't recall the usual farm rule with how close to put bulls and neighbors cows. if you put them to close the bulls march up and down the fence line and turn it into mush. if its a non-electric fence (which is should not be) they can smash the fence.

It was my mums cow and she got contacted by the neighbour and told she had to pay for new hives? She rang me and told me the story and I told her to get in touch with some commercial bee keepers and get them out to take a look. I thought I would also do a check to see if it was possible and what may have caused it. The bull is being treated by the vet for stings - the bull got 20 stings on the legs.

The bull has jumped the fence - not smashed it.

It was my mums cow and she got contacted by the neighbour and told she had to pay for new hives? She rang me and told me the story and I told her to get in touch with some commercial bee keepers and get them out to take a look. I thought I would also do a check to see if it was possible and what may have caused it. The bull is being treated by the vet for stings - the bull got 20 stings on the legs.

get some photos, that sounds dodgy as.

assuming here the story is the neighbors bull has jumped the fence, knocked over the neighbors own hives and they are blaming your mums cow ???

i've never heard of stock being treated for bee stings.

How do they know it was the cow and not the bull that knocked the hives over?

My mum treats her stock like members of the family. So yes she will have been silly enough to phone up a vet and pay for a vet to look at bee stings on a bull.

sorry I used cow and bull interchangeably. It was my mums bull!

Mums bull jumped the fence and knocked over the neighbours hives and got stung!

ok, so basically your mums liable for damages.

was there a hot wire on the fence ?

no there was no hot wire on the fence. The neighbour is claiming that the bull killed all the bees though.

the bees stung the the bull on the testicles

Somebody has to ask if if they were having a ball ?

• Like 1

Under the fencing act your mum is liable. It's your mums legal responsibility to have adequate fencing for the stock she intends to keep.

Strange as it sounds, most lifestyle block owners who have livestock are unaware they should have public liability insurance.

Animals that get out can do unbelievable damage

no there was no hot wire on the fence. The neighbour is claiming that the bull killed all the bees though.

the bees stung the the bull on the testicles

This story just gets better and better :rofl:

Sorry I know its serious.

I have had so many hives knocked over by cattle, I've never had one killed by them, or even had a queen squashed.

However I am very quick about picking up my hives when they get knocked over.

Bulls tend to get pretty riled up and I can imagine stings making them angrier.

I have seen hives that we hadn't been to in a while smashed to tiny pieces by bulls and the hives definitely died, but we're talking months, and like @tristan said it's the rain that gets them.

Sounds like your mums neighbour is talking :crap:.

However, not cool that the bull jumped the fence.

Maybe a hot wire is in order.

Strange as it sounds, most lifestyle block owners who have livestock are unaware they should have public liability insurance.

Animals that get out can do unbelievable damage

Especially if they are on the road and cause a major accident.

I think I see how it happened, the bull is by the fence and the bee stings it in a place no bull likes to be stung - it jumps the fence and takes out its revenge!!!!!

I can almost empathize with the bull here.

• Like 1

Especially if they are on the road and cause a major accident.

Our public liability insurance was sold to us with a story by the agent about an animal getting out and being hit by a bus of Japanese tourists. It happens

Our public liability insurance was sold to us with a story by the agent about an animal getting out and being hit by a bus of Japanese tourists. It happens

Would you still have bought the insurance if it had been a busload of Poms ?

Would you still have bought the insurance if it had been a busload of Poms ?

Yep.;) We have to have it to supply milk to the dairy company

I think I see how it happened, the bull is by the fence and the bee stings it in a place no bull likes to be stung - it jumps the fence and takes out its revenge!!!!!

I can almost empathize with the bull here.

Why would the bee sting the bull of he's standing there minding his own business?

I don't know maybe it relieved itself near the hive and the end result was a tit for tat escalation.

I agree with @Daley - not cool that the bull jumps the fence, and that makes the bull-owner liable for resulting damage.

However - proof of loss needs to come from the claimant - and again, like other comments above, I've had a number of hives upended by cattle. If you find them after a few days or even longer and put them back together, they recover fine. The only ones I've lost look like they were damaged some weeks previously and no one noticed.

So I think the next door beek is taking the mickey - unless the bull really did opt for revenge for the whole testicle being stung thing and completely trashed the hives.

Either way, it is an unfortunate situation between neighbours.

Had a land owners pet Labrador turn up wanting to do the meet and greet when I had a hive apart this afternoon ..it all lasted about five seconds, bees sent it home :bee::bee::bee::bee::bee:

• Like 1