Beerad

NZBF What's going on

So one of my hives is queenless. They created a number of replacement queen cells and I squashed all but 2. Today I went in and saw both cells open ended suggesting both queens emerged. By my reckoning the queens emerged yesterday (Tuesday). I noted a couple of other cells had their walls torn down suggesting a queen has terminated the other cells. But I also noted about 6 other sealed intact cells.

When a queen emerges does she do a full recon of the hive and kill all the other cells, or just those on nearby frames?

Does she leave the hive straight away to mate, and if so, do the bees keep making queens in her absence? Because, as I said it looked like 2 emerged and if one or both were still in their, surely they would have destroyed all the other cells.

Nothing suggested the hive had swarmed. Numbers are strong.

Any advice friends?

It depends on the weather if they go out for mating flight or will wait ...... even two weeks. After the flight they can wait from 3 days to couple of weeks till they start laying.

Those intact cells may look intact however they can have somewhere a small hole just to sting the queen inside(many times it can be hardly visible for us).

Once the bees know there was an emerged queen they will not make new cells. If there are two virgins they may sort it out with a fight.

When the first queen emerges she may have or not have enough time to find and kill the other queens(i.e. the other QCs are on another frame few frames apart).

When I do emergency queens I will pay a visit to the hive 3-4 days after I added the frame with fresh eggs and I will keep only 2 or max 3 QCs(the nice ones and those must be close to each other so the first queen to emerge will find the rivals quickly).

The closed cells might contain dead queens if they were stung through the walls.

It depends on the weather if they go out for mating flight or will wait ...... even two weeks. After the flight they can wait from 3 days to couple of weeks till they start laying.

Those intact cells may look intact however they can have somewhere a small hole just to sting the queen inside(many times it can be hardly visible for us).

Once the bees know there was an emerged queen they will not make new cells. If there are two virgins they may sort it out with a fight.

When the first queen emerges she may have or not have enough time to find and kill the other queens(i.e. the other QCs are on another frame few frames apart).

When I do emergency queens I will pay a visit to the hive 3-4 days after I added the frame with fresh eggs and I will keep only 2 or max 3 QCs(the nice ones and those must be close to each other so the first queen to emerge will find the rivals quickly).

Okay, thanks. Before today I checked on Friday and Monday. So if the queens emerged on Tuesday-ish, the new cells I noted must have been sealed after Tuesday?

The 2 cells I didn't squish were on the same frame for that reason. Easily locatable for the first Q.

Do the queens tear the cell walls down or the workers?

It doesn't make sense to me, but this is only my third season.

Don't go in the hive for at least two weeks or you may loose your new queen... let her get mated and into her job. She will take care of everything else.

The workers tear down the cell.

The queen calls with her "singing" for other queens and try to locate them. She tries to sting the cell where the un-emerged queen's thorax is so that queen can not fight back. If she can not sting through the cell's wall will chew it a bit(just enough to get her stinger through).

For now you have to wait. The over crowded hive will shortly reduce in size since there is no queen to keep laying new eggs and there will be a gap between old bee mortality and new bee emerging.

If there is a heavy pollen foraging(you can see the bees coming into the hive loaded with pollen) you may have fresh eggs. So you do not have to open the hive(however this observation method is not 100% accurate).

The workers tear down the cell.

The queen calls with her "singing" for other queens and try to locate them. She tries to sting the cell where the un-emerged queen's thorax is so that queen can not fight back. If she can not sting through the cell's wall will chew it a bit(just enough to get her stinger through).

For now you have to wait. The over crowded hive will shortly reduce in size since there is no queen to keep laying new eggs and there will be a gap between old bee mortality and new bee emerging.

If there is a heavy pollen foraging(you can see the bees coming into the hive loaded with pollen) you may have fresh eggs. So you do not have to open the hive(however this observation method is not 100% accurate).

Thank you. This is helpful. I will check in a week. I was just worried that the hive was preparing to swarm with all the QC's appearing so was checking regularly to squish them.

But hives don't swarm without a queen, so I guess I should relax.