How many have done beekeeper courses?

I would be interested to know what percentage of the hobby and commercial bee keepers on the forum has done a bee keeper training course.

I have never met a beek who has done one , but I think that is the circles I move in.

Are there a lot more courses these days than there used to be

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might need to be specific whether you mean to include a short course offered by a club or individual.

I meant the certificate courses and polytech courses.

I often read posts by new beeks talking about courses they do before getting bees .

Maybe they are club ones.

The nearest club to me is over 100 klms away , maybe that's why beeks I know have never been

Me, me!! I have done the Agribusness turned Taratahi Beekeeping L3. To be honest, when you are newish at something, no matter how many "flight hours" you have, people take you more seriously if you have a piece of paper (cert or something) that confirms that you are serious at this. Taught by the legends themselves, @Judy K and @Dave Black. Loved it!!

• Like 1

Me. I did the Agribusiness course a few years ago. It was a good way to get through my first year beekeeping and we did everything from build the hiveware in spring right through to harvesting honey and wintering down in autumn.

• Like 1

I notice the beeks who have put there hand up for doing a course are all women

Have you met a man that reads the instructions first!

It's the same with beekeeping.:)

I committed to buying my first hive on the night of my first meeting at the bee club. New nothing about keeping bees. Came home and told my wife. Just as well she was in agreement. Bought the NZ Book for her to read. If I need technical information, I'll ask her as she had more memory than I have.:D

• Like 3
no course here

A man with a decent excuse

No courses here either. Though I've taken every opportunity to learn from others. The bees taught me the rest.

This forum has been really great for me .

I think I would have struggled a lot more with out it

Yes the bees taught me a lot too

But I would like to think they survived because of rather than in spite of me .

I think we are nearly at that stage

Wore out a bee suit and multiple pairs of gloves, bent a few hive tools, lost a few too, learnt how to light a smoker, how to always stop for 'good' pine needles - even if you're busy...!

Getting the smoker to go is still the hardest part of bee keeping for me.

I would like to do a course on that

• Like 1

No course for me. Are people lazy, and want to be spoon fed everything? I don't mean that in a bad way, but there is soooo much knowledge out there, someone with a genuine interest will soak up as much as they can and will "see" and learn from the bees. Maybe the courses are becoming popular as there are people who want to learn quick so they can put their hives out amongst the manuka and start looking for their mansion?

A man with a decent excuse

This forum has been really great for me .

I think I would have struggled a lot more with out it

Yes the bees taught me a lot too

But I would like to think they survived because of rather than in spite of me .

I think we are nearly at that stage

Getting the smoker to go is still the hardest part of bee keeping for me.

I would like to do a course on that

Hi Kaihoka. This might help you, it helped me heaps!!

It is not about "learning quickly". It is about learning... In this day and age (possibly thanks to Manuka) seasoned beekeepers are busy, so mentoring is hard in the mentor and the mentored in the way of time constraints. Also if you are kind of new in an area (like we were a few years back) you don't know a lot of people. We aren't shy and joined the local club as soon as we knew we wanted bees, but we knew we wanted a Top Bar Hive, and @ChrisM studied, played with some measurements and built it for us, and we pretty much had to figure everything else, but a base knowledge of what is done in Langstroth hives, as most people have those. We had to experiment and find what works for our hives, so the course was an excellent way to get that extra information without annoying our mentor no end(yes we have one, he is a commercial, we teach him about Top Bar Hives, and he teaches us about his part of the business, as he knows the area pretty well). We are very lucky with the friends we keep making along the way, more often than not, like-minded people. The course has given me that extra confidence, even if I did have a few hives before I started it. And it took a whole year, so no quick fix here... The course also included with a 3 box lang hive and a nuc of bees, that we have kept as part of our R&D.

My 2 cents....

• Like 3

This gas lighter, available from ebay.com.au at a good price, is usable in wind and drizzle, and is also very good for flaming the hive tool before starting in a new apiary. I would get the one with an igniting trigger, as you can see.

Saves a lot of wasted time.

But be careful of gas, and make sure a fire extinguisher is at hand at all times.

gas-lighter-2018.JPG.c9dfb826ac3f9dde8b1147e8dddca668.JPG

gas-lighter-2018.JPG.c9dfb826ac3f9dde8b1147e8dddca668.JPG

I have a friend/ mentor who has helped me a lot, it gives me confidence to know there is someone to ring if I get stuck.

He is 61yrs now and got his first hive at 12yrs. In his early 20s he was running 600 hives for pollination or orchards.

He had to give it up because of a propolis allergy, but took up bees again 15 yrs ago.

I get an historical perspective on bee keeping from him which is very interesting . And of course he talks about beeks he learnt from that passed away .

Do the beek courses cover the history and the changes in the industry

• Like 1