tudor

Split new queen being balled

First time I have seen it, split made a fortnight ago with good exit, was having a quiet look and found a mass of bees. Lifted it up and found them balling a nice looking, probably mated, queen. I tried to take them off her but as some were removed others took over, and they fell in and under frames so i left them at it.

Wonder whether my having a quiet look sparked off the balling, and are there any good interventions if I find it again ?

thanks.

First time I have seen it, split made a fortnight ago with good exit, was having a quiet look and found a mass of bees. Lifted it up and found them balling a nice looking, probably mated, queen. I tried to take them off her but as some were removed others took over, and they fell in and under frames so i left them at it.

Wonder whether my having a quiet look sparked off the balling, and are there any good interventions if I find it again ?

thanks.

It is possible that the intervention sparked it off, but it is not common. If they were balling her to that extent she may be dead.... If it happens again suggest you just lift the ball out and away from the hive and pick through the bees to extract her.

I've been marking mated Q's recently, and a few times when I've put the mated Q back on a frame, the bees swarm over her (perhaps it is the new look with the thorax painted or the smell of the marking) and it looks like they are balling her. So, I've extracted her, and put her into a different part of the hive and hoped for the best...

Spray with sugar water ?

• Like 2

Did you have any other mating nucs nearby? I've seen a queen being balled in a mating nuc before and then found another queen in the same nuc. I believe the queen being balled had gone back into the wrong nuc after her mating flight and suffered the consequences.

• Like 1

Yes, it is the middle of 3 hives with splits with queen cells in them, and I wondered about that.

And you should know her, Otto, she is one of yours.

Could you rescue the queen you saw being balled ?

Thanks.