Strange sound coming from inside hive.

I noticed it last night and this evening, a high pitch buzzing, intermittently, it sounds alot like a mason wasp that has built its nest in the folds of the curtains but in the hive.

I took the roof of incase there was something trapped under the roof, but no!, it definity is coming from inside the hive somewhere between the honey super and brood box.

I did read about beehives making different sounds depending on the state and condition of the hive, one thing about this hive it is queenless at the moment, but the new queen is due to ebmerge today! Maybe it's a victory buzz and the queen has arrived?

Anyone heard such sound from your hives?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen a queen emerge and rip down and kill the queens in other cells

I've seen them emerge but not actually in action on another QC. The first thing they do is look for food and end up with their head in a cell. And then another cell and another. I think once they get up to strength they then prowl the combs looking for cells. Even then, I've seen a cell which the VQ emerged from, another capped QC right alongside which has been left, and other cells with the side torn down. I've removed VQ's that have been stung in the cell, they move around a little, and then stopped moving.

No. I've found a fair few that were ripped down but never witnessed the actual ripping.

I wonder what exactly happens , do the have single combat, do the other bees help the first out to despatch the other.

My carniolan hive hatched 6 queens at once and they all took off with a hand full each , no sign of aggression.

There must be a video on line somewhere of what happens

I've seen the procedure in my observation hive.

The new queen rushed to the queen cell, did some sort of indication at the cell, departed just as quickly and the worker bees tore the cell down, while the queen continued moving about on frames. I didn't see her sting the cell at all. That doesn't mean it didn't happen

• Like 1
I've seen the procedure in my observation hive.

The new queen rushed to the queen cell, did some sort of indication at the cell, departed just as quickly and the worker bees tore the cell down, while the queen continued moving about on frames. I didn't see her sting the cell at all. That doesn't mean it didn't happen

I was not aware of that, interesting.

I think the stinging occurs too as I've found dying VQ's in the cell.

Went through a hive with lots of cell about emerging. Some came out naturally while I waited to cage them. Other had my assistance with the scalpel. One was slightly premature with light brown color but was attended to by the workers and came out anyway. One looked like too small a cell which I was discarding but emerged quite a big queen. Must have eaten all her food in the cell.

8 cells got caged with one given away.

Busy today making up mini nuc.

• Like 2
Have you ever seen a queen emerge and rip down and kill the queens in other cells

I had this last season. Was having trouble with what was becoming an old Q and the hive was trying to supersede her. I would go in and find a few supersedure cells, then the next time they would be torn down and a few more ripe ones. Then, I was in again scratching my head with a frame in my hand and lo and behold the Q comes running across the frame and begins attacking a supersedure cell. She seemed to be chewing at the wax in multiple spots trying to get in, but then ran away again having not finished the job. Next time I went in the cell was all ripped up! Exciting stuff.

• Like 2
I had this last season. Was having trouble with what was becoming an old Q and the hive was trying to supersede her. I would go in and find a few supersedure cells, then the next time they would be torn down and a few more ripe ones. Then, I was in again scratching my head with a frame in my hand and lo and behold the Q comes running across the frame and begins attacking a supersedure cell. She seemed to be chewing at the wax in multiple spots trying to get in, but then ran away again having not finished the job. Next time I went in the cell was all ripped up! Exciting stuff.

That's what happens when the Queen choose not to abdicate. Her successor may not be what the rest want.;)

That's what happens when the Queen choose not to abdicate. Her successor may not be what the rest want.

Yeah, it went on for weeks heading towards winter, so I choose for her! Put her in a nuc with a frame to look after her and let the beautiful supersedure cells do their thing in the parent hive. It all worked out in the end, so old queeny got the pinch...

I had a look around the virgin queen hive this evening and the bees were acting weird, even though this hive is at low numbers and the day was cooling off, there were heaps of bees balling and running around the enterance of the hive, I was watching for a while thinking the new virgin queen may be near but didn't see her, but on the ground outside the hive I noticed a few dead bees that to me look a lot like small queen bees, this behaviour is probably very normal, but very exciting for me! Here is a pic of what I think is a row of dying queens, and one drone, and a line of workers.

Another weird thing was as I was gathering the queens, I had my chickens hanging with me and they were grabbing the queen from my hands but were not interested in the workers or the drones! Strange!

IMG_0797.JPG.0b28ef3ec2695c05d02fe09c85ffde71.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG.0b28ef3ec2695c05d02fe09c85ffde71.JPG

The new queen and the workers have been very busy with all those in there to evict. Those are the casualties

I could still here a queen piping within the hive, I can only hope that out of all those queens the one left in the hive is a healthy big queen, how long before I should have a peak inside this hive? This Saturday it would of been 7 days since the new queen emerged.

A beekeeper in Wairarapa told me he looked to soon in a split hive only to see the virgin queen dissapair over his shoulder and never to be seen again! I don't want this to happen.