I ve certainly become aware of bee activity since being involved in beekeeping. (even though still very new to the hobby) Noticed lack of bees,neighbours that spray pesticides and im generally taking far more notice of my surroundings..thats gotta be good.Id be interested in knowing how many beekeepers there are in my area too. Could be a few houses away..never know..But all good fun

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Urban bees and neighbours is a tricky subject. I advise people to remain as inconspicuous as possible. It only takes one neighbour with an irrational fear to have the council breathing down your neck. Keep the hives out of site and have loads of free honey available for any neighbours that show an interest.

Yeah. This week I had a passerby accusing me of keeping wasp. Not interested in any conversation of what it is or pollinating the local fruit trees. No one supposed to keep bees in the city..... rant...rant... When I said that there as no point continuing with the discussion, the rights of the indigenous came up.

To right about being aware and the honey for neighbours, but one has said he felt bad taking the honey as he does no work and loves bees but to scared to work them. All my neighbours love bees and Hate wasps. Now the local schools are in board with this awareness thing and I have offered free host a hive this year and had a few takers, heaps talking but not making it to the next step. So many want honey but do not want bees or bee poo.

Urban bees and neighbours is a tricky subject. I advise people to remain as inconspicuous as possible. It only takes one neighbour with an irrational fear to have the council breathing down your neck. Keep the hives out of site and have loads of free honey available for any neighbours that show an interest.

I am reconsidering the color of my hives. Camouflaged facing public view. None of these iridescent and bright colours.

20161021_170525.jpg.8d2775d412f6782db94c6e72eeec6b2e.jpg

20161021_170525.jpg.8d2775d412f6782db94c6e72eeec6b2e.jpg