I just saw a post on kids beesuits. Got me thinking about the new one I bought for myself. I got it on Trade me.. Very reasonable price I thought but a lot thinner than others I have seen at Cera cell for instance.. Wonder now if they are ok as I got some for the kids too. Can't imagine a bee stinging thru it.. Anyone tried them out. Seem to have good protection as far as not having any gaps etc.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bees sting through them all.

what you have under the overall makes a big difference. if suit is hard against the skin you will get stung, if its spaced off the skin a bit then the sting can't reach.

would pay to sow what suit your referring to, theres heaps of different ones out there.

I just saw a post on kids beesuits. Got me thinking about the new one I bought for myself. I got it on Trade me.. Very reasonable price I thought but a lot thinner than others I have seen at Cera cell for instance.. Wonder now if they are ok as I got some for the kids too. Can't imagine a bee stinging thru it.. Anyone tried them out. Seem to have good protection as far as not having any gaps etc.

Actually Im stretching it to say its a kids suit.Its for the grandkids and its only the top half.Arms veil.It was about $17,They will need some jeans and gloves.But it is thin so something underneath too.The best complete adult suit was from Silverdale way.In saying that I havnt tried it out yet (no bees)

Sometimes I wear no suit when I can tell the bees aren't grumpy, but that can change in an instant.

Bees can sting through up to 3 layers of clothing including bee gloves and suits, the best thing to wear under your suit seems to be a long sleeved polar fleece, they have a bit of a hard time stinging through polar fleece, it's just so damned hot!:rofl:

A beesuit is an investment alright but they are well worth it, I've tried a few suits and the cheap ones - you get what you pay for. The Deane full suits are the best if you ask me, however I do have one that leaks bees through the front of the zip coz some noddy sewed the Velcro in the wrong place lol but you get that with the big jobs.

I have a cheap thin half suit off trademe, and it's rubbish, I'd rather have no suit because the veil is floppy and just sits on my face and it's got the weirdest zip in history.

If I was going to bother with a half suit again I'd buy a proper one.

Put the kids in an adult suit, it might give them a bit of a handicap but they won't outgrow it and the rolls and rolls of extra fabric will be protective if they don't get bees in the folds.

• Like 1
I have a cheap thin half suit off trademe, and it's rubbish, I'd rather have no suit because the veil is floppy and just sits on my face and it's got the weirdest zip in history.

If I was going to bother with a half suit again I'd buy a proper one.

I did the same off trademe. I wanted something I could don quickly for hive checks in the evening after work. I find I have to wear a baseball cap under the veil to keep the mesh off my face. Also the mesh is very thin and splits easily if it gets folded. I've had to make a couple of repairs already.

My full suit is a Deane from Ecrotek. It's great. If I was buying another I'd check out the ventilated suits from Beequip.

Confidence in a good suit is worth the extra money spent.

Not a good idea to put the hood in the washing machine on high water level. Mine got caught between the drums and the zipper and nylon stiffener is ripped. Still looking for a solution to fix it.

I never machine wash the hood. Never even considered it. It probably gets a hand wash every fourth or fifth suit wash.

What gripes me about my suit is the way hair grease builds up a yuk patch on the back of the hood. I hate hats of any sort underneath, they all end up getting dragged over my eyes..

Have you tried trimming Your mullet where it touches your hood.

I do agree about the cap getting dragged over the eyes

The nylon/plastic rod stiffener easier to fix. Finding the right zip replacement to match the one on the suit? Then the sewing.

20161021_152955.jpg.f1532b3614d4d5269afbb538971b8b0a.jpg

What gripes me about my suit is the way hair grease builds up a yuk patch on the back of the hood.

Time to get those disposable hair cap/nets:)

20161021_152955.jpg.f1532b3614d4d5269afbb538971b8b0a.jpg

Hot glue maybe.

no more nails.

I don't like the zip on veils, but each to their own. I've gone with a hard plastic hat (pith helmet) with a veil. This means any suit or no suit is ok, because head gear is separate. I wear white overalls, call it a bee suit if you want. If you like the Deane suits they do of course sell them at Ecrotek without veils and Ecrotek sell the ventilated hard hats with veils too. If the kids are growing fast, it might make sense to go the polar fleece route and focus more on a good seal at gloves, waist and ankles. Combined with a hat & a good veil that works. Making your own veils can open up a whole lot of options with super light mesh that is cheap to replace if you tear it and very easy to see through.