help please!!!bee removal problem

PLEASE HELP!!!! ADVISE please, so two days ago i took out a colony at the base of a dead 20 meter eucalyptus tree, using a chisel i hacked out a hole big enough to get to the combs, (didn't want to use a chainsaw as the tree is a bit dangerous and needed more precision) got the combs out, about 5 brood combs with larva at all stages, grabbed loads of bees as i could and chucked them into my hive as one does(could not use a vacuum as i dont have one and its out were there aint no power so brush and bucket was the only option), i just dint see the queen. i came back in the evening and gave them sugar water. i came back today and find that inside the hive there are a good number of bees in it(well two fist fulls?) and some are chaining(hope thats the right term) and have repaired some of the combs to the frames BUT no queen found yet but they are attentive to their brood, in the tree theres still heaps of bees, cant see them as the hollow of the tree is too dark and goes into a curve upwards were i can almost not reach, but found that there is still some bits of comb left with honey and nectar in it, my fear is that the queen is still in the tree, or might she be in the hive box and the older bees are just smelling her pheromones in the old location? if she is in the tree then im unfortunatly unable to get her out, what would be my best option? buy a new queen asap? let them produce a emergency queen cell(if thats possible) or try harder to get her out of the tree, i realy dont want to loose these guys as they a realy placid wild colony and ive been looking after them since winter when i found them.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Pbee I think that's an excellent answer, block all exits where practical, site the bees that you already have in your box in front of the one remaining exit, and give them the bums rush outta that tree. I was only watching a video last night of a beek getting a colony out of a big cable drum, similar concept, but he had to use some bait brood from another hive, and he smoked them from the other side, took a couple of days but he got them out queen and all, he also used a bee funnel, so once they were out no going back in.

i know of bee-gone but i dont want to use any of that as i want to close up the tree and let it be used as a natural swarm trap for the next swarm that comes thru the area, but as i will say im not too familiar with the lasting effects of bee-gone so will the tree still be acceptable to use as a lure? but yeah will see how much bee-gone costs, but hopefully my girls in the box will raise a queen if theres not a queen in there, fingers crossed, thanks for all the advice guys!!

it might be less labour intensive to put a good swarm box on the tree for future swarms. Then if the honey-b-gone really does work it will make your swarm box more attractive than the rest of the tree. I wish I had such a tree.

Would a 3/4 depth box with a floor and lid work ok as a swarm trap?

Yes, put a bit of cotton wool with no more than 1 (one) drop of lemon grass oil in the back of the hive and a couple of frames of drawn comb. Works a treat every time!

What do you do if you don't have any drawn frames?

Use wood frames with wax foundation. (y)

This has been discussed on this forum numerous times.

Next time you have a question, search this forum if it has already been answered, please?

This has been discussed on this forum numerous times.

Next time you have a question, search this forum if it has already been answered, please?

Just to stir.:):whistle:

Just like in a class room, don't you hate that someone always put up their hands and wants to answer all the question that the teacher asks.:D

The moderator/teacher needs to say we will let someone else answer this one. Gives others the confidence in what they may know.:)

Honey-B-Gone, Sarah in Ngaruawahia, she sell this stuff.

Her contact number is on her Facebook page

i know of bee-gone but i dont want to use any of that as i want to close up the tree and let it be used as a natural swarm trap for the next swarm that comes thru the area, but as i will say im not too familiar with the lasting effects of bee-gone so will the tree still be acceptable to use as a lure? but yeah will see how much bee-gone costs, but hopefully my girls in the box will raise a queen if theres not a queen in there, fingers crossed, thanks for all the advice guys!!

Get in quick. She may have 1 bottle left. I paid for one this morning.

Planning to do a tree extraction soon. Probably same situation with no electric power. Dead tree stump on a bank about 2m high off the public bush walk.

Anyone done any and video. What's the techniques.