• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, sounds like you'd be okay. I think it only applies to beekeepers without a certified facility. The MPI page makes special mention of hobby beekeepers. Like I said, probably one of the most ignored rules in beekeeping. I expect even more so than hive registration.

Nah has to be certed for jarring specifically for sale under the RMP but I could be wrong

Ok so provided I have all the right paperwork etc and have access to a commercial premises where I can pack my honey....what's the best way to pack 2 drums worth of honey? Will be drummed off by an extractor and I'm planning on taking away and packing a couple drums to sell myself. What gear do you guys recommended?

Could it be as easy as getting a honey gate to screw into the lid and roll the drum on its side?

Ok so provided I have all the right paperwork etc and have access to a commercial premises where I can pack my honey....what's the best way to pack 2 drums worth of honey? Will be drummed off by an extractor and I'm planning on taking away and packing a couple drums to sell myself. What gear do you guys recommended?

Could it be as easy as getting a honey gate to screw into the lid and roll the drum on its side?

you would want most honeys to be creamed. otherwise they crystallize rather quickly and its off putting to customers.

also it should be run through a final filter to catch any stray bits from the extraction process. that could be anything from wax to a bolt.

this is where its just easier to send it to the packers, pay the $$$ and get it back nicely packed and boxed. some will also do labels etc.

Yeah, the packer I talked to had a minimum run of 4 drums, that's why I'm looking at alternatives. I don't want to commit that much for my first run with my own label. I assume that the extractor should have some level of filtration pre drum. Maybe not that fine but enough to catch a bolt surely

Yeah, the packer I talked to had a minimum run of 4 drums, that's why I'm looking at alternatives. I don't want to commit that much for my first run with my own label. I assume that the extractor should have some level of filtration pre drum. Maybe not that fine but enough to catch a bolt surely

Pretty sketchy extraction process if something as big as a bolt could get through..

You should be sweet.

Yep getting a drum gate and running it into a bucket with a gate and jarring from a bucket works sweet.

Obviously it's slow, but it's cheap.

I have 2 200 litre drums of honey I want packed into 500ml jars. Does any member do this or know who does. Thanks guys.

As with you do when you register your apiary you need to go through a process to sell/barter honey, even locally at the market. For obvious safety reasons re: Tutin toxic honey (any honey harvested after 31 Dec needs to be tested). You can visit the MPI website for all legal requirements. And will need to follow a procedure if you intend to sell honey to the neighbours/local market/commercially. It is not hard to follow, you just have to do it right & within the law.

/

Even if you intend to sell your honey in jars, you need a verified safe hygenic sealed room that you carry out the honey harvest and will need to bee checked by a certified person before you can have permission to do it is all.

Even if you intend to sell your honey in jars, you need a verified safe hygenic sealed room that you carry out the honey harvest and will need to bee checked by a certified person before you can have permission to do it is all.

you need an approved room/premises, eg commercial kitchen for council food regs. also need to comply with other council rules. eg with some all person have to be approved, you cannot do it under supervision. so check your local rules on whats allowed.