I have 2 200 litre drums of honey I want packed into 500ml jars. Does any member do this or know who does. Thanks guys.

<Content removed> can do it for you, but transport might be a killer. PBT can be cheap but they dont have an RMP which will affect where the honey can be sent to

<Content removed> can do it for you, but transport might be a killer. PBT can be cheap but they dont have an RMP which will affect where the honey can be sent to

Thanks for that Stephen. Who is RMP , i'd like to follow them both up.

RMP risk management program need if you plan to export honey to a lot of countries, some dont need it, not needed for some domestic sales. But the likes of pack n save etc require it if you want to sell honey their shops

RMP risk management program need if you plan to export honey to a lot of countries, some dont need it, not needed for some domestic sales. But the likes of pack n save etc require it if you want to sell honey their shops

Sorry Stephen, god I must have been asleep, I meant to ask who is PBT

I have 2 200 litre drums of honey I want packed into 500ml jars. Does any member do this or know who does. Thanks guys.

There is an iwi owned operation somewhere in the east coast that do it. I think it's Ora honey, might be something else.

There are also a couple of operations in Auckland who would pack this quantity. Message me for details/

Via mainfreight, you are looking at $250 to ship the drums to AKL.

There is an iwi owned operation somewhere in the east coast that do it. I think it's Ora honey, might be something else.

There are also a couple of operations in Auckland who would pack this quantity. Message me for details/

Via mainfreight, you are looking at $250 to ship the drums to AKL.

Hi Love Honey. I would be keen to have the Auckland contacts. <Content removed> looks very good, very compeditive, except that there are freight costs which I can avoid if I take the drum to Auckland, on my next trip up there.

Hi Love Honey. I would be keen to have the Auckland contacts. <Content removed> looks very good, very compeditive, except that there are freight costs which I can avoid if I take the drum to Auckland, on my next trip up there.

I think you might find if you want to sell said honey you aren't allowed to just move it yourself, once honeys in a drum very different rules apply, and most of the trucking companies are certed to carry it, so sometimes the cost is justified to avoid the red tape.

If it's only for your own personal use/giveaways then you can do whatever.

Hi Daley, is that the RMP regs kicking in that Stephen has described earlier in the thread?

I think you might find if you want to sell said honey you aren't allowed to just move it yourself, once honeys in a drum very different rules apply, and most of the trucking companies are certed to carry it, so sometimes the cost is justified to avoid the red tape.

If it's only for your own personal use/giveaways then you can do whatever.

Its not quite that stright forward. Requirement for a RMP depends what country you plan to export to or if it is for domestic use etc Just like EU lisiting, which is another level of paper work if you want to export to the EU. Many packers require you to be on the EU list. But if the honey is not going to the EU you dont need it

You just have to be clear on what markets you are looking to sell into which dictates what level of paper work you need

You may not need an RMP depending on what you want to do with it.

I would ring and check to see what the jarring facility requires you to do and make sure that they are able to process honey that doesn't have a paper trail as such.

But it pays to check what the regulations are for what you are wanting to do with it before you go ahead or it could be rejected.

As far as I know if you are selling it, it at least needs to be jarred in a commercial kitchen certified by your local council.

If you are giving it away you can do it in your garage and that's fine.

Stephen sounds like he has a better idea than me about what's required.

While I do do some RMP paper work and am present at audits all my honey is sold in drums, I don't sell honey in jars it's all given away.

If you are giving it away you can do it in your garage and that's fine.

I don't think that's quite right @Daley. Check out the last sentence.

Beekeepers who do not sell their products or export them

If you are a hobbyist beekeeper who produces honey and other bee products for your own consumption, you do not need to operate under the Animal Products Act 1999 or the Food Act 2014. However, MPI recommends that you take precautions as described in Part 1 of the standard for managing tutin contamination in honey.

Please note: if you donate or barter your honey, then that is a form of trade and you must comply with the appropriate requirements.

Overview – Honey & bee products

As I understand it, I can do what I like when it comes to my household. But as soon as I give it away to friends, neighbours, etc it has to have been extracted and packed in a certified facility. Very happy to be proved wrong but that is how it was explained to me. All my honey last year was extracted by Arataki then I purchase some back at wholesale rates.

And I hope you stick to the speed limit when passing school buses loading or unloading kids !

And I hope you stick to the speed limit when passing school buses loading or unloading kids !

Perhaps we ought to come to a complete stop like they do in the US? Which do you think has the greater chance of killing someone: passing a school bus or food poisoning?

Interesting, you used to be allowed to give it away. I gather the food act 2014 is responsible for the change ?

In this case I know which one is more closely related to the rest of the H&S kerap

I don't think that's quite right @Daley. Check out the last sentence.

Overview – Honey & bee products

As I understand it, I can do what I like when it comes to my household. But as soon as I give it away to friends, neighbours, etc it has to have been extracted and packed in a certified facility. Very happy to be proved wrong but that is how it was explained to me. All my honey last year was extracted by Arataki then I purchase some back at wholesale rates.

Sorry, tired!

I don't think so.

If your not selling it and you are 'gifting' it, I can give people biscuits I made at home but I'm not allowed to sell them.

But I could be wrong too.

I jar my honey in the honey house just so we're clear lol not in the garage.

• Like 2

I don't think so.

To be fair, I think it's probably one of the most ignored rules in beekeeping. How would you ever police it anyway?

"Oh no, no, no, I'm not going to accept your kind gift of some free honey. I'd rather cut my nose off and report you to some pen pusher who couldn't give a hoot what you did with your honey. You can suffer knowing that I spurned your gift while I eat dry toast, comforted by the belief that I'm right!"

Yer, right! The Arataki setup works for me because it takes care of tutin testing.

• Like 1

We tutin test all jarred honey. That's my job! Office admin, picnic maker, book keeper and bee keeper. Who needs sleep!

We tutin test all jarred honey. That's my job! Office admin, picnic maker, book keeper and bee keeper. Who needs sleep!

You can sleep when you're dead. :lol

I'd have some fairly bewildered friends if I couldn't give them honey. A lot of the fun part is sharing

Meh.

There are some pretty special rules out there.

Where I jar my honey it can be exported in a drum to anywhere in the world but if I put it in a jar and sell it I'm breaking the law. :what:

Go figure.

Meh.

There are some pretty special rules out there.

Where I jar my honey it can be exported in a drum to anywhere in the world but if I put it in a jar and sell it I'm breaking the law. :what:

Go figure.

No, sounds like you'd be okay. I think it only applies to beekeepers without a certified facility. The MPI page makes special mention of hobby beekeepers. Like I said, probably one of the most ignored rules in beekeeping. I expect even more so than hive registration.

• Like 1