Using blowers or bee escapes

The migrant beek who has bees on my own and my bee keeping friends properties uses a blower to clear the bees before he takes his honey off.

And every year after the honey has gone their bees Rob out our hives.

My friend thinks the blower gets the bees into a robbing state and he would like them to use bee escape boards instead.

I am not sure if it would be practical for them because of the travel involved and would it make difference to the robbing

What do most commercial beeks use to clear bees off honey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And every year after the honey has gone their bees Rob out our hives.

if it was that bad they would be robbing out the commercial beeks hives as well and most of his hives would be dead to.

its far more likely your hives have issues (very weak and unable to defend) that need looking at.

anything weak or sick at the end of the season (robbing season) is fair game for being robbed out by bees or wasps.

Ok so he removes the honey? And then the bees from those hives rob / take honey from your hives. I would of thought it is not to do with blowers but more to do with bees freaking out that they have no honey left and so go robbing.....weaker hives are also more likely to be robbed.

I would of thought it is not to do with blowers but more to do with bees freaking out that they have no honey left and so go robbing

the bees do get stirred up and can go into robbing mode. you try to avoid that because they will rob out your own hives, usually the weakest gets robbed.

biggest cause of winding them up is being on the site to long, with boxes being open to long.

if you take the honey off quickly, the bees don't get wound up.

i've had where we only did half the site. go down the road to the next site and do half of that. next day come back and do the other half.

escape boards don't necessarily reduce the robbing. if they take way to long sorting the hive and boxes out, they will get wound up just the same.

Ok so he removes the honey? And then the bees from those hives rob / take honey from your hives. I would of thought it is not to do with blowers but more to do with bees freaking out that they have no honey left and so go robbing.....weaker hives are also more likely to be robbed.

My hives have always been weak for various reasons

But this year I think they are much stronger and I hope it will not happen

I think it is difficult for the beek having hives on a place with hobby beeks.

Normally he would not have to consider his behaviour.

After he takes the honey, Normally in late summer , the hives stay here for another month , at that time of year there is normally great weather and not much food around.

If it's your properties, tell him not to use a blower or ....you have the whip hand.

That is true but I am trying to find a solution to accommodate everyone's interests.

That is true but I am trying to find a solution to accommodate everyone's interests.

I would start by making my hives strong.

If you have good forage then that's not the issue.

Check for Varroa and Viruses

Look at the hives location then get the bees into new gear and look at the Queens.

I think

I would start by making my hives strong.

If you have good forage then that's not the issue.

Check for Varroa and Viruses

Look at the hives location then get the bees into new gear and look at the Queens.

I agree getting my hives strong is the answer.

I have a vaporizer and I use strips.

Luckily wasps are no problem here.

it does seem the blower is not causing the problem

Are robbing bees fair game. When it happens from someone else hives, create a box with its own entrance above your hive. When there is sufficient robbing bees, close entrance and move it away with a split. Bring back later to make your hive stronger.That's recruitment for getting more ready made honey.:)

• Like 1

I love bee escapes. I hate using the blower. We do both. More with bee escapes because it's our preference probably 75%. It's quieter, calmer and far more pleasant for bees and beekeepers. Zen beekeeping.

We inspect, put clearers in on day one and remove on day two or three, depending on the time the clearers went on. Yes it means lifting the honey supers twice, but getting the honey off is quick and clean. We wait until the honeys covered and move the truck/s away before tapping the clearers, putting in strips & closing up the hives. We always clear into brood box + partially full honey super, which we leave on for the bees.

Yes it involves two trips to the apiary, but it means we inspect carefully and focus on bee health & try to solve any problems, queenless, Dronelayer etc.

• Like 4
@kaihoka if you know when they'll be harvesting you could reduce your entrances. Would only need to be for the day of, and day following harvest. The robber bees will try, give up then orient onto something else.

I have hive doc bases and last year I did shut them down and that worked fine for 2 of them.

But not the one that I had unfortunately burnt a hole in with my vaporizer.

This year I plan to have stronger hives because even without a frenzy my hives just get systematically robbed.

Because we often have good autumn weather and little forage I plant a lot of stuff for my bees.

But of course that just attracts all the bees and if it wasn't the beek on my place bees it would be the migrant beek down the road on the doc land .

I had only just got bees when I was approached about having hives on my place .

Knowing what I know now I would have said no.

But he has put hives on other neighbours so it's going to affect me anyway.

I have no pasture near me, that often gives a good reliable late flow.

I know when they are harvesting cause I can hear the blower. The first time I heard it I did not know what the hell it was.

I thought someone was flying a big drone over my place

I will just have to sort it at my end I can not effect what's going on around me

We blow bees when they are on a flow. As soon as it stops the escape boards come out .... much pleasanter!

That is interesting.

Generally the migrant beeks here wait till the flow is finished before they take the honey .

Then they leave them here for another month in case something pops up .

That is interesting.

Generally the migrant beeks here wait till the flow is finished before they take the honey .

Then they leave them here for another month in case something pops up .

it varies from area to area.

some beeks think we are crazy because we do 3 harvests compared to their one.

but also it depends on setup (eg vehicle size, ground conditions, varroa treatment).

need to get all the timing correct.

We have done both escape boards and blower, I can tell you sometimes when you have finished packing the honey boxes onto the truck and go back and pull the escape boards off.... sometimes very very angry bees! They know they've been robbed, and not too happy!!

The home base of the migrant beeks is about 100 km

On the other side of the takaka hill. That does not mean much to you I know but it is a daunting journey to many people.

They put the hives here and and check them once, then take honey , then take bees.

They must do an enormous amount of miles.

I have got the idea that they are here because they have been squeezed out of their traditional areas by bigger outfits who have in turn been pushed out by even bigger ones.

They have been doing pollination for nearly 40 yrs I think

I remember the Takaka hill when dad used to take us camping up there as kids. The car almost always boiled. . .

Funny how quickly things change. At the top of any steep hill it was not unusual to see one or two cars with their bonnet up. Cooling down enough for dad (mum watched the kids of course) to put the water in so the journey continued.

Look at your childhood photos! How many were taken at the top of hills? :cool:

• Like 1
Hi guys!

We also use a blower when harvesting honey supers. Do you use a shoot to catch the bees you have blown?

You can reduce the robbing if you will use a cover board to cover the honey supers you just harvested.

Also cool weather is I think the best when harvesting (In our area we usually harvest by mid Nov to early Dec)

That is April May for us. Bees should be well and truly packed in for winter.

We also use a blower when harvesting honey supers. Do you use a shoot to catch the bees you have blown?

these days we use a shoot which blows the bees onto the ground in front of the hive.

less bees flying seams to reduce robbing.

You can reduce the robbing if you will use a cover board to cover the honey supers you just harvested.

thats pretty much mandatory. i once left a cover board off, 5 min later the ute was disappearing in a cloud of bees. time to go.

these days we use a shoot which blows the bees onto the ground in front of the hive.

less bees flying seams to reduce robbing.

I see..What we are using is a shoot that catches the bees like in a screened box. Then when you are done with the supers you can just dump the bees inside the hive then close it. Just a few bees will be left on the ground, those bees that the shoot did not catch.:)