The sites around here ,from a well known outfit don't have any visible apiary numbers.

Do these sorts work on the premise that,ppl round here know who we are so we don't need to put an apiary number on display???

I know who's where by what their hives look like, there are more popping up that I don't know now though.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The new tracking technology is great. It gives us the ability to record exact hive numbers with a scan, record their location and then trace hive and box movements as they go from A to B to C and back

Posted Images

Why? This whole thing of landowners being ripped off blah blah really annoys me.

The bees make honey from plants the landowner has on his property generally he hasn't spent any money on planting or maintaining them he does no work on them they owe him nothing. The landowner does no work on the hives and spends no money on maintaining them .To say beekeepers are making money off the back of landowners doesn't stack up.

Totally agree.

I am pollinating clover.

I don't expect anyone to pay me, I have no expectations.

I'll leave my bees there all year round unless I'm asked to move them, I'll chat with everyone, I'll give them heaps of honey.

But I won't sign anything, and no money will change hands, money is actually contractual enough as it is for me and if I am paying for something then I need to have expectations, I don't want that.

• Like 2
Totally agree.

I am pollinating clover.

I'll leave my bees there all year round unless I'm asked to move them, I'll chat with everyone, I'll give them heaps of honey.

But I won't sign anything, and no money will change hands, money is actually contractual enough as it is for me and if I am paying for something then I need to have expectations, I don't want that.

Mmmm. Yes and No. The land owner is likely to have a very significant amount of capital invested in the property. If it is a rural property, the return on investment is likely to be relatively low, although if the market is OK they may be getting increases in capital value (or not - just look at dairy farmers the last two or three years). The land owner expects a return from their capital invested - which is in all likelihood is many magnitudes higher than a bk investment in providing hives on a property and managing them. So like any commercial negotiation both parties are lined up with their own perspective, and all going well some reasonable agreed position for both parties is reached.

• Like 3
Mmmm. Yes and No. The land owner is likely to have a very significant amount of capital invested in the property. If it is a rural property, the return on investment is likely to be relatively low, although if the market is OK they may be getting increases in capital value (or not - just look at dairy farmers the last two or three years). The land owner expects a return from their capital invested - which is in all likelihood is many magnitudes higher than a bk investment in providing hives on a property and managing them. So like any commercial negotiation both parties are lined up with their own perspective, and all going well some reasonable agreed position for both parties is reached.

If the farmers wanted to make money off beekeeping they would get hives and do it themselves.

Most country folk are very keen on bees but usually are far too busy to manage more work on their plate.

I know a few that do though.

Most that I know want them for the clover and are happy with that (y)

I think on marginal blocks with high value honey I understand that they don't make money off the land.

I think it's more than fair to give them something in most cases even more so if they are struggling and they need it.

• Like 2
Totally agree.

I am pollinating clover.

Like your style :bee:

Got pics of one of the Comvita apiaries.

Notice each piece of equipment has a bar code. If any of you comvita guys are reading this please do chip in and tell us all how this bar code thing works, how do you use them?

]

Logic would dictate that they have a barcode scanner on the extractor so they can tell which hive the box came from. Next time your there open one up and see if the frames are tagged too.... Maby when you have as many hives as them a notebook doesn't cut the mustard....

Logic would dictate that they have a barcode scanner on the extractor so they can tell which hive the box came from. Next time your there open one up and see if the frames are tagged too.... Maby when you have as many hives as them a notebook doesn't cut the mustard....

Opening up other beekeepers hives? That is definitely not kosher. I'd have a fit if people went around opening up ours. I'll never touch other people's hives without permission.

Opening up other beekeepers hives? That is definitely not kosher. I'd have a fit if people went around opening up ours. I'll never touch other people's hives without permission.

I would have thought that posting close ups of another beeks site/gear without permission was off limits.... But hay life's for living.....

I would have thought that posting close ups of another beeks site/gear without permission was off limits.... But hay life's for living.....

Well I personally wouldn't do that either. Despite finding it interesting when other people do!! :mask:

The barcodes could be doing any number of things. From simple track and trace of honey boxes to hive inspections records that feed to an app.

My partner sells them and in her spare time is building me an app for hive monitoring. She doesn't have much spare time so it is taking a while.

I tested the barcode scanner on my phone and it still works from inside a plastic bag.

• Like 1
Hmm well moderator removed one pic but not the other, his comment was he removed the one that showed numbers.

That was me.

The difference here is that topic is critical of Comvita and the photos weren't uploaded by the owner of the hives. It's one thing to say, "Comvita has an apiary and we don't like its placement." It's quite another thing to start identifing the employee involved. If I'd been at my PC I would have simply obscured the rego and left the pic. Since I was on my mobile it was easier to delete.

Rob you will note yesterday I used the report button to request that BOTH pics be removed, please do so, thanks.

I will not. The one was removed for the reasons given. The rest of the post is subject to forum posting rules.

Make sure you are aware of the forum rules. You are responsible for your content and we do not delete posts, unless we see fit.
Got pics of one of the Comvita apiaries.

Notice each piece of equipment has a bar code. If any of you comvita guys are reading this please do chip in and tell us all how this bar code thing works, how do you use them?

[ATTACH=full]15142[/ATTACH]

Not a Comvita guy but have reasonable knowledge of their "Apiary Management System" - AMS for short. Every beekeeping team has a hand held scanner which they carry with them at all times. Each hive is identified by a bar code on either the floor or the lid. All boxes are individually identified - not frames though. All hive work is recorded, feeding, requeening, varroa treatments, boxes added/removed etc. Hive strength is also recorded by frames of brood. AFB is recorded and any equipment that was associated with that hive can be identified even if is no longer on the hive eg honey supers. The system generates a red flag on that equipment so that it can't be used. Extraction plants are set up with a scanner so all boxes are weighed and scanned prior to extraction so they can identify which boxes went into which drum Using a continuous flow rather than homogenisation. Very useful for calculating landowner payments.