Josh

Newbee Question for MAQS

Hi Team,

I've been watching various treatment threats in Diseases & Pests, and I have one question of Beginners.

I'm using OA with good success.

But my question regards adding MAQS to the regime.

I understand the MAQS/Formic acid is a different action and can attack varroa in the brood comb and not so much the varroa on the bees (phoretic) I've seen it's temperature and volume restrictions and the needs for a strong well fed hive. But it says "leave the hive undisturbed for 7days".

Now that clearly means, no inspections... no big deal. But does it mean, no concurrent OA treatments?

I the reason I ask, is why not do your usual OA treatment then place MAQS. Then continue your OA treatments. This would mean both larval and phoretic varroa will take a hit. I'm thinking of doing this with my autumn treatment, as my spring nucs (now in 10frame FD) are not up to strength yet pp MAQS information)

Or is this the overthinking of the well read, but inexperienced newbee.

Thoughts?

I would not subject my bees to OA at the same time as MAQS. The purpose of treating with MAQS is to kill the varroa, including phoretic mites, so if that is happening, why would they need another treatment?

@Josh how often are you using OA on your hives?

@Josh how often are you using OA on your hives?

I'm in the middle of my 4 week treatment (i.e. just finished week 2) I've done 4 treatments in that time, and now my sugar shake is down to zero mites, and no signs of DWV etc, I'm going to treat weekly for the last 2 weeks.

I plan to use OA like, and I'm sorry who said this I can't remember, with thresholds. i.e. up to 4 empiric treatments/year. And when ever I get a sugar shake test with >1%

I agree with @Janice. Why have 2 acid treatments at the same time.

I was thinking, because one is essentially targeting phoretic (Oxalic acid), the other targets breading varroa in brood. So, as an end of season treatment, wouldn't it be ultra-effective going into winter. Or to shorten the duration of treatment needed over all (i.e. you don't need 4 weeks of OA if you've killed all the mites in the brood)

Currently, with sugar shakes of zero, I wonder why I'd need anything else at all... for now. I have the time, and only two hives, to use OA.

MAQS gets all of them, phoretic and in the brood. But none of these things are good for the bees (although better than varroa) so it pays to keep treatment to a minimum - well I think so, anyway.

I was thinking, because one is essentially targeting phoretic (Oxalic acid), the other targets breading varroa in brood.

You need to get this MAQS thing right in your head ! Formic gets varroa wherever it is, on the bees or in the brood !

Yup, got it sorted now. Thanks everyone for helping me sort this out in my head

• Like 1

I have to question if the MAQS kills varroa in capped cells? I have only used it in the colder conditions around the minimum temperature for using MAQS, I haven't used it in warm or hot days where it would really gas up, only mentioned because when I use it last when the days were 10-12 deg, I done a sugar shake and still had an unhealthy varroa level, and also varroa inside drone comb after treatment.