October 2016 Apiary Diary

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was about ten days ago that things changed from being pretty poor (constant rain, not particularly much flowering), to today where the weather has been pretty good during the last ten days and all sorts are flowering. And the hives across all sites have just started going nuts, a rapid increase in brood and bees, I would think something like a 50% increase in brood / bees across the board in that 10 days. It has also meant I could stop feeding syrup - although I found one hive today where the bees were lethargic and sure enough they had no food left, I think they just grew too quickly, so they got fed. The change has meant a lot of attention to swarm prevention with plenty of splitting and frame manipulation, and plenty of equalising by taking from the stronger hives and putting into weaker hives, and swapping hive locations. I actually got to the stage for the first time today where I wanted to de-power a hive and removed frames of brood but I'd already given the weaker hives enough brood, they couldn't look after more, a good problem to have really. I have mainly Italian bees but some Carny and it is the Carny hives (they are really ####ty grumpy #######s too) that have built up the most but they are utterly ruthless about swarming, I've been beaten a couple of times, the Italians just seem to cruise along a bit more, perhaps not as responsive to the changing weather as the Carny's. There are wasps around but they are not causing any problems. Varroa is not (presently) causing any problems, drone brood is clean. It is not too far away for Apivar strips having to be removed near the end of the month, QE's in, a dedicated AFB check on the brood in each hive (although in reality this is happening whenever brood is looked at) but before then I have a whole lot of 3/4 boxes needing dipping and painting before supering up. Volunteers for the dipping?

And amongst all this I have a big order to go out early next week (what long weekend I said today, I had no idea!!) and then some bees coming in in the next weeks into a new site. Well this ramble is going to work well for a Diary Note anyway :-) I should really change my moniker to "frazzled" but some mainlander has that...."happily frazzled" would do for me at the moment.

• Like 2

Checked progress on my first graft queens yesterday.

Of those placed in NUCs, three out of five are laying strongly, one still looks to be a virgin and one is queenless.

I made a few mistakes populating my Q8 but in the end I had four queens emerge supported by small colonies. One is laying strongly, the other three still look like virgins.

The hive I requeened has a laying queen again. They got two cells in the end. I put the first in too soon after killing the queen and without protection. The bees tore it down. The second cell, placed 24hrs later with protection seems to have worked.

Curiously, the last runt cell that emerged in the incubator and was walked into a hurriedly prepared NUC is laying!! Will be interesting to see how she goes.

• Like 3

i checked my hives today for queen cells and there were none.

lots of drones, esp in the carniolan hive, the black drones look much bigger than the italian ones.

i am very pleased with the hives, they are much stronger than they would normally be at this time of year.

which may not be as strong as other forum members would be content with, but considering my last three years the bar for me is set pretty low.

the photos are of my 3 box hive, the first photo of a box i put on a week ago, then the second box, then the bottom box.

i checked them according to what i had read on the forum by taking the top boxes off and checking the bottom box first.

i could not find the queen but i was looking more at brood than looking for her

but i did find eggs so i had not accidentally squished her last time so hopefully have not done so this time too.

her brood is pretty mixed in with pollen and eggs and spread through both boxes.

i noticed that the queen excluder had stuck to the bottom of the first box and i had put a box on top of that so she could have gone down into the top box and be above the excluder.

which would be ok because i am going to split her off in two weeks.

last time i checked , 10 days ago , i had replaced some rotten frames with new ones with some a bit mouldy pollen drawn frames

i had hosed them down and put in the sun to clean them up.

and the bees had chewed out all those bits and started to make fresh comb

so i replaced them and put the chewed frames that had fresh nectar out side the hives to be cleaned up by the bees.

i can do that at this time of year, there is no possibility of robbing

if any one can tell me why my right way jp insists on being up side down i would be greatfull

5992eb81b97f3_WP_20161022_11_59_44_Pro(800x451).jpg.b3e724d69bb12eca1a5cd82092090bb4.jpg

5992eb81be88b_WP_20161022_11_59_52_Pro(800x451).jpg.cbfa880b7af4c71ba1e3bbc81f888bb9.jpg

5992eb81c36b1_WP_20161022_12_00_42_Pro(800x451).jpg.c8fd4955297d243c87040b36aa691c2a.jpg

5992eb81d18e4_rightway.jpg.5c77f617e2eee66b3a497a4f09de269f.jpg

5992eb81db2e3_WP_20161022_12_45_52_Pro(800x451).jpg.801bc7302f824a073f66edf8e2e88e8f.jpg

5992eb81b97f3_WP_20161022_11_59_44_Pro(800x451).jpg.b3e724d69bb12eca1a5cd82092090bb4.jpg

5992eb81be88b_WP_20161022_11_59_52_Pro(800x451).jpg.cbfa880b7af4c71ba1e3bbc81f888bb9.jpg

5992eb81c36b1_WP_20161022_12_00_42_Pro(800x451).jpg.c8fd4955297d243c87040b36aa691c2a.jpg

5992eb81d18e4_rightway.jpg.5c77f617e2eee66b3a497a4f09de269f.jpg

5992eb81db2e3_WP_20161022_12_45_52_Pro(800x451).jpg.801bc7302f824a073f66edf8e2e88e8f.jpg

• Like 1
i checked my hives today for queen cells and there were none.

lots of drones, esp in the carniolan hive, the black drones look much bigger than the italian ones.

i am very pleased with the hives, they are much stronger than they would normally be at this time of year.

which may not be as strong as other forum members would be content with, but considering my last three years the bar for me is set pretty low.

the photos are of my 3 box hive, the first photo of a box i put on a week ago, then the second box, then the bottom box.

i checked them according to what i had read on the forum by taking the top boxes off and checking the bottom box first.

i could not find the queen but i was looking more at brood than looking for her

but i did find eggs so i had not accidentally squished her last time so hopefully have not done so this time too.

her brood is pretty mixed in with pollen and eggs and spread through both boxes.

i noticed that the queen excluder had stuck to the bottom of the first box and i had put a box on top of that so she could have gone down into the top box and be above the excluder.

which would be ok because i am going to split her off in two weeks.

last time i checked , 10 days ago , i had replaced some rotten frames with new ones with some a bit mouldy pollen drawn frames

i had hosed them down and put in the sun to clean them up.

and the bees had chewed out all those bits and started to make fresh comb

so i replaced them and put the chewed frames that had fresh nectar out side the hives to be cleaned up by the bees.

i can do that at this time of year, there is no possibility of robbing

if any one can tell me why my right way jp insists on being up side down i would be greatfull

Looking great . Even better you've taken those manky old frames out. I put plastic inserts in my wooden frames

That's probably drone comb .

I'd cycle them out

Looking great . Even better you've taken those manky old frames out. I put plastic inserts in my wooden frames

That's probably drone comb .

I'd cycle them out

there was a whole frame of drone comb.

i know conventional wisdom is to get rid of it but i think males in all situations are under rated these days and a large diverse pop of males is important to any echo system.

even if 90% are useless we need them all to find the 10% that aren't

• Like 4

My wife had a singing show yesterday so on the way to the show we popped into the supermarket for a few bits and pieces. she said " O...and manuka honey for my throat". I have avoided anything to do with manuka so far and now feel rather ashamed of myself for my $16 dollar contribution to "manuka madness"!! She had pointed at a $30 250 gram bottle, no thimble would be a better description of the packaging. Nooooo way, so only $16 was sacrificed for the same size.

When I got home I looked up the website of a new starter here at home, wow their cheapest product on their website is $69.00 for 250 grammes!!! WHO THE H^^^ BUYS THIS STUFF?????????

Fun at home with Kids and visitor this afternoon. Throwing one of those oversize tennis balls up in to the air and watching the Drones fly in to inspect, sometimes up to 10 or more would fly in and hit the ball. Our visitor was amazed at the bees flying in to the ball.

• Like 2
We've already taken 2 splits from them one a week ago, put a Virgin in the hive, no sign of her, or eggs, I know it's only been a week but sorta assumed she was gone and these were Supercedure

I find it really difficult to get Virgin's accepted, roll her in honey or whatever else, acceptance not great (<50%). If you did an artificial swarm and removed the Q and frames and bees and they were not congested and the new VQ you put in failed to be accepted, they could be emergency cells. They do kind of look more like swarm cells based on their location but location is only a very rough guide and I don't think too much should be read into it. 16 cells in total suggests more swarm cells than anything else. @M4tt seems pretty clued up on distinguishing QC types. I suppose timing is important too - if they hatch 13 days from when you removed the Q that would suggest emergency.

My first instinct is swarm cells, but now that you've said you put a virgin in( which I've never done) and she's gone , could it be a combination of swarm and emergency cells ? Were they trying to swarm when you split?

My first instinct is swarm cells, but now that you've said you put a virgin in( which I've never done) and she's gone , could it be a combination of swarm and emergency cells ? Were they trying to swarm when you split?

No sign of swarming when we split, but always been very strong and definitely heading that way, just wanted to re queen because she was getting on a bit in age

No sign of swarming when we split, but always been very strong and definitely heading that way, just wanted to re queen because she was getting on a bit in age

Sounds like a bit of both swarm and emergency cells.

That is an amazing frame with its symetry