October 2016 Apiary Diary

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

inspected my 2 hives today and found lots of swarm cells including some capped ones in both.

both hives I was intending on splitting soon anyway and being my first attempt at swarm prevention i thought i would try a different method for each and see how things go.

hive 1 i tried the artificial swarm method,found queen on a nice brood frame and put it in a new box and put box in original hive position to catch all the flying bees.moved original hive and destroyed all but 1 nice capped queen cell.Is that ok or should i have destroyed that one also and had them produce an emergency queen cell?

hive 2 i didn't spot the queen so i removed all swarm cells and took a split of 2 frames brood of all stages and 1 frame necter and pollen.

I now need a queen for that split so if there is anyone in the whangarei area who i can buy 1 from please contact me.if not i will let them raise an emergency queen.

Were there eggs in hive two? If so all you need to do is make sure that the old queen stays in the old hive and at least one swarm cell goes with the new split. While it isnt quite as good as a queen the brood you take with will give enough pheramones to keep the workers there....

And it is good to leave two swarm cells, that way you have insurance. The new queen will have no problems tearing down the spare cell and dealing to it... It is possible for both to emerge and the same time and fight but I would have thought it is unusual....

I have read conflicting opinions on whether to leave one or two cells on the frame.

In My case , when I did a split last year I left one, it was on the bottom of the frame in the bottom box I went to check sometime later , when I opened the hive at least half a dozen queen cells were in the process of hatching ,and swarming.

I found the original cell and it was damaged.

I should have left two.

I have read conflicting opinions on whether to leave one or two cells on the frame.

In My case , when I did a split last year I left one, it was on the bottom of the frame in the bottom box I went to check sometime later , when I opened the hive at least half a dozen queen cells were in the process of hatching ,and swarming.

I found the original cell and it was damaged.

I should have left two.

There are risks both ways.

Experiment, and draw a conclusion that suits you.

There is no right or wrong, just differences :)

• Like 2
Were there eggs in hive two? If so all you need to do is make sure that the old queen stays in the old hive and at least one swarm cell goes with the new split. While it isnt quite as good as a queen the brood you take with will give enough pheramones to keep the workers there....

And it is good to leave two swarm cells, that way you have insurance. The new queen will have no problems tearing down the spare cell and dealing to it... It is possible for both to emerge and the same time and fight but I would have thought it is unusual....

yes there were eggs in hive 2, unfortunately I had already destroyed all the queen cells before I decided to take the split then I realised that I could have put 1 in with them lesson learned for next time.Thanks for the advice

• Like 1

I made up 5frame Full Depth mating nucs on the 26th September and added queen cells. One of the last hives I split was at home and I pulled 4x 5 frame nucs off it but for the life of me couldnt find the queen as there were too many bees on the frames and I didnt have time to filter them all through a queen excluder as it was around 6.30pm and getting dark. I checked the nucs on Saturday and I found the queen laying up a storm in the nuc. So to the donor hive that still had 12 frames of brood left over after splitting, 5th frame in on the bottom box 7 nice emergency queen cells. I will be making up some more nucs with the surplus bees and remaining brood to emerge in the donor hive. Fortunately the cells are on a wax foundation frames and are all seperated well so will be easy to cut out of the comb. The emergency cells are due to emerge with the next two days.

• Like 1
[ATTACH=full]15046[/ATTACH]

Did a few beehives today and the second site we went to we pulled up to one of the gates and I said to @Bron "Hey, what's that on the track" she said "looks like a dead possum" then the dead possum put its head up and turned into a baby goat, so we look around, no other goats, we walk over to it and it starts bleating, still no mother goat.

Poor little thing had just been left on the track, so I picked it up and put it in the truck, there were some goats further down so I left her in a bee box bleating away from the trucks and the bees to see if her mum was about but nope, so I took her home.

I've given her two small feeds and I think she will survive.. I'm going to have to take her to work with me tomorrow so she can have her feeds :D so I may be the first person with a beekeeping goat

Nawwwwwwwww

• Like 1

Ive seen these creatures clear a nine wire fence at the gallop, walk up a stay and stand on top of a strainer post, stand on a motorbike seat and pull the wiring out of the ignition, Stand on the back of a resting horse and probably stuff I've forgotten.

• Like 1

Lol yeah I can't keep her forever coz I've got two dogs, one of whom I know would eat her if given the chance but probably knows he'll get a hiding if he tries and the other well she's not too sure but I think she knows it's only a baby so she might be ok, she sniffed it over and gave it a lick and got quite excited until I told her no she can't play with it.

I'll just keep it until it's manageable for someone else to look after, I've had enough lambs to know that sometimes they don't make a week and I'd hate to give it to one of my friends for their kid and have it die straight off the bat, judging by its ambilical cord it's only about 2 days old and it's tiny.

I think it will be ok though, it's quite punchy.

• Like 3
I name it "Curry":)

Haha yeah it would be a pretty small curry at this stage.

Would fit 2 maybe 3 that size in the roasting dish, smallest goat I've ever seen.

I did joke about putting it in the oven and taking some pics for a laugh but I'm not sure it's hygienic to put a live goat in the oven.

Goats pretty good eating, I think it's almost the same as mutton if you get the right goat and if you don't smell it.

Haha yeah it would be a pretty small curry at this stage.

Would fit 2 maybe 3 that size in the roasting dish, smallest goat I've ever seen.

I did joke about putting it in the oven and taking some pics for a laugh but I'm not sure it's hygienic to put a live goat in the oven.

Goats pretty good eating, I think it's almost the same as mutton if you get the right goat and if you don't smell it.

I think that goat is the most eaten meat on the Planet

On another note.

Whilst in the middle of trying to deal with small goat, two dogs, and talk to my darling who'd just got home from work and was wondering how I had ended up with said goat.. the neighbour popped his head over the fence and said "I've got some bees over here" then I figure out whoops they're mine(technically they're Chris's) and they're hanging in his feijoa tree, he wasn't worried, his kids lean on the fence while I work the hive in my shorts and a singlet and I make sure to give them honey everytime, so I gave him 5 jars of honey and they had a bit of a family activity watching us catch it so they were happy as.

Just picked it up and walked it home before and it was a nice clean catch.

• Like 3
[ATTACH=full]15046[/ATTACH]

Did a few beehives today and the second site we went to we pulled up to one of the gates and I said to @Bron "Hey, what's that on the track" she said "looks like a dead possum" then the dead possum put its head up and turned into a baby goat, so we look around, no other goats, we walk over to it and it starts bleating, still no mother goat.

Poor little thing had just been left on the track, so I picked it up and put it in the truck, there were some goats further down so I left her in a bee box bleating away from the trucks and the bees to see if her mum was about but nope, so I took her home.

I've given her two small feeds and I think she will survive.. I'm going to have to take her to work with me tomorrow so she can have her feeds :D so I may be the first person with a beekeeping goat

Not sure its a goat, it looks like a Carnolian with that colouring.

• Like 1