October 2016 Apiary Diary

Got to frame five without sighting queen. I'm sure I marked her. Back through the frames looking for an unmarked queen. Still nothing. Hmmm. Cluster of bees on the inner cover? No. Oh dear! What's that on the grass? She must have been playing hide and seek on the bottom bar of the first frame and got caught. She looked lifeless but undamaged. Fainted maybe? Scooped her up and dropped her between the frames. She might wake up. If not I'll be back there tomorrow.

So I got back to check on this NUC today. I was there to put cells in other NUCs but made sure I had some spare. Fortunately I found the queen on the second frame looking gracious, was that a royal wave? Seems HRH had simply fainted. I'd read about it but never seen it myself. She looked dead. Glad I gave her the benefit of doubt.

In the end I had three cells spare. If a hobbyist in HB needs a cell PM me. Otherwise I'll let the hatch, make another couple of nucs and see what all this virgin queen malarkey is.

• Like 2
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I had an unexpected visit by a MPI inspector who was doing random checks on hives for AFB.

Unexpected visit to check hives for AFB may not suit the beekeeper if they have just put in queen cells or re-queened. I would think it needs to be by arrangement with suitable notification.

All this week's and weeks of rain have seen all but a couple of hives race through the last of their winter stores. October is starvation month if you are not keeping an eye on things. Tonight I feed out 300 litres of sugar syrup, left home at 5.30pm home by 8.30pm feeding the last 12 hives by the lights of the ute . Opened a couple of hives to see how they are expanding. I was very pleased to find them filling out the brood box and starting to draw out wax on the outer frames. I made a small adjustment of frames to move the new frames in to the brood area. They will need a second brood box in another week or two.

20161004_191233.jpg.69f9fb96dabbd9949f77255fa424e317.jpg

20161004_191420.jpg.59d31fd9056b3a987e4d13415f1cbec5.jpg

20161004_191420.jpg.59d31fd9056b3a987e4d13415f1cbec5.jpg

20161004_191233.jpg.69f9fb96dabbd9949f77255fa424e317.jpg

• Like 1
All this week's and weeks of rain have seen all but a couple of hives race through the last of their winter stores. October is starvation month if you are not keeping an eye on things. Tonight I feed out 300 litres of sugar syrup, left home at 5.30pm home by 8.30pm feeding the last 12 hives by the lights of the ute . Opened a couple of hives to see how they are expanding. I was very pleased to find them filling out the brood box and starting to draw out wax on the outer frames. I made a small adjustment of frames to move the new frames in to the brood area. They will need a second brood box in another week or two.

[ATTACH=full]14973[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]14974[/ATTACH]

How much syrup does each hive get and how often.

I am feeding my hives regularly on an ad hoc basis.

They drink it all pretty quick

I think I should be more scientific

We've had pretty much two weeks of rain here so ours are a very mixed bag between sites.

Some have only a little nectar.

Some have a box of sealed honey.

Dry raw sugar is great in spring if you have good bee numbers, if they don't need it they won't take it.

October maybe starvation month in your neck of the woods @dansar down here there's lots of willow in full flower the bees are going hard out before it rains again

Developing webbed feet up here. Bees are bringing in lots of pollen when it isn't raining. Willows have just about finished and are in full leaf around south Waikato. Pussybwillow is just starting though. Rest of this week is forecast for rain. I think that is 3 weeks straight now, yes there have been a couple of sunny days in there but rain is the feature and it is making me nervous for feed in the hives. I will be very supprissed if any of the queens from the last few weeks are mated, checked the first lot yesterday and no eggs yet. Will have a look next week. Oh, and it's started raining again...

Developing webbed feet up here. Bees are bringing in lots of pollen when it isn't raining. Willows have just about finished and are in full leaf up here. Rest of this week is forecast for rain up here. I think that is 3 weeks straight now, yes there have been a couple of sunny days in there but rain is the feature and it is making me nervous for feed in the hives. I will be very supprissed if any of the queens from the last few weeks are mated, checked the first lot yesterday and no eggs yet. Will have a look next week. Oh, and it's started raining again...

I hear you bro. It's so :crap:

How much syrup does each hive get and how often.

I am feeding my hives regularly on an ad hoc basis.

They drink it all pretty quick

I think I should be more scientific

I have given all the full sized hives 10 litres in the hopes to keep them going for another 2 weeks. They will have lots of indoors time to draw comb and look after the increasing brood numbers.

I have given all the full sized hives 10 litres in the hopes to keep them going for another 2 weeks. They will have lots of indoors time to draw comb and look after the increasing brood numbers.

Is that 2 sugar to 1 water

I hear you bro. It's so :crap:

Even on the west coast it has been unusually wet.

I would say the rest of NZ is probably having our normal spring

• Like 1

i was in an orchard today. running around in the side by side. should have taken a boat :eek:.

even the orchard manager commented thats its been the wettest hes ever had.

even his staff where playing in the mud with the tractor.

i was in an orchard today. running around in the side by side. should have taken a boat :eek:.

even the orchard manager commented thats its been the wettest hes ever had.

even his staff where playing in the mud with the tractor.

I know that feel, third cooper in 2.5 weeks... Concidering spraying with the crawler tractor... We do have a block named swamp after all...

The first sunny day in ages and I had to check a mates apiary as well as ours. She had a nuc box with the old queen in it and the old hive had 10-15 capped cells. There were so many bees that they were developing a small village of comb in the top feeder. I split her off another nuc for luck.

On the ridge apiary the two brood boxes that I exchanged sites last week were heading in opposite directions. One was solid with bees and brood the other have superceeded the queen. I saw three uncapped but inhabited cells on the first frame I took out, so I just packed it up then and there.

One of the single brood boxes at home turned out to be a 3/4 I can't find any notes in the diary about it. It was unsurprisingly stuffed to the gills, I added another two 3/4 boxes of drawn comb and an excluder. I am curious to see how a 1 1/2 brood box works out.

• Like 1

Swarm cell checks today. Found one hive with four capped cells among the bottom of frames. Still a full hive of bees but no eggs and nothing younger than about three days. I removed all but one cell and left the one remaining in the middle of the brood nest. Hope I've read that one right.

Most queens have emerged including one leftover in the incubator. Made up a weak nuc, smeared some honey on her and walked her in. The bees' reaction was inconclusive. No stinging, no balling but no ignoring either. One bee seemed to want to pull her around by her leg. I'll lock them in overnight and see what happens.

Hive resources are mixed. Some still have half a box capped on top. Others are soaking in fresh nectar. Only a couple I'll have to watch closely.

All the autumn nucs and the first spring NUC have outgrown their boxes and are now in single FDs. All the hives are drawing wax on the stone fruit flow and most are into their third box. Things are changing very quickly.

• Like 3
Swarm cell checks today. Found one hive with four capped cells among the bottom of frames. Still a full hive of bees but no eggs and nothing younger than about three days. I removed all but one cell and left the one remaining in the middle of the brood nest. Hope I've read that one right.

Most queens have emerged including one leftover in the incubator. Made up a weak nuc, smeared some honey on her and walked her in. The bees' reaction was inconclusive. No stinging, no balling but no ignoring either. One bee seemed to want to pull her around by her leg. I'll lock them in overnight and see what happens.

Hive resources are mixed. Some still have half a box capped on top. Others are soaking in fresh nectar. Only a couple I'll have to watch closely.

All the autumn nucs and the first spring NUC have outgrown their boxes and are now in single FDs. All the hives are drawing wax on the stone fruit flow and most are into their third box. Things are changing very quickly.

Its quite interesting to hear how the season kicks of earlier for alot of you. Up here in the South Waikato there is no flow to speak of at the moment and bees are increasing in numbers in the hives but come late Novemeber the Clover kicks in to gear and if the season is a good one we get 50-100kg from the hives. It totally amazes me the variance throughout the country.

Its quite interesting to hear how the season kicks of earlier for alot of you. Up here in the South Waikato there is no flow to speak of at the moment and bees are increasing in numbers in the hives but come late Novemeber the Clover kicks in to gear and if the season is a good one we get 50-100kg from the hives. It totally amazes me the variance throughout the country.

I'm smack in the middle of a bunch of orchards. I get stone fruit then apples followed by a wait until clover kicks in. November is known to be a dearth Hawkes Bay. Supplemental feeding may be required.

• Like 1

It's interesting but not surprising to me how various yards within a few km vary.

eg The big strong hives in the fivefinger dont do so well when the flow stops just prior a month of patchy weather where as the hives on the Spanish Heather are unstoppable just a few k's away.

It's interesting but not surprising to me how various yards within a few km vary.

eg The big strong hives in the fivefinger dont do so well when the flow stops just prior a month of patchy weather where as the hives on the Spanish Heather are unstoppable just a few k's away.

whats spanish heather taste like, is it a dark honey

inspected my 2 hives today and found lots of swarm cells including some capped ones in both.

both hives I was intending on splitting soon anyway and being my first attempt at swarm prevention i thought i would try a different method for each and see how things go.

hive 1 i tried the artificial swarm method,found queen on a nice brood frame and put it in a new box and put box in original hive position to catch all the flying bees.moved original hive and destroyed all but 1 nice capped queen cell.Is that ok or should i have destroyed that one also and had them produce an emergency queen cell?

hive 2 i didn't spot the queen so i removed all swarm cells and took a split of 2 frames brood of all stages and 1 frame necter and pollen.

I now need a queen for that split so if there is anyone in the whangarei area who i can buy 1 from please contact me.if not i will let them raise an emergency queen.

• Like 1