October 2016 Apiary Diary

Well, after September being so wet with very few flying days, it is interesting to see one of the commercial beeks around me reducing boxes on hives down to singles, the same as I've been doing . Let's hope October weather improves quickly because there are plenty of flowers about

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My hives are all doubles at the moment, but for the rest of the year they are singles. some will be split and some won't make the cut, we pushed some of mum and dads down again yesterday after letting them up when the strips went in.

Singles are a bit less labour intensive if you can manage the swarming.

Had some fun today. Stripped brood from a couple of strong hives into QL nucs ready for a cell in a couple of days. Cells are looking good, maybe 14 out of 20 taken. Populated the Q8 with bees and gave them a feed ready for a cell. Found and marked another supercedure queen. Did some sampling. Made bases and lids. Also wired and waxed a few frames. Did a bit of everything really.

How are you keeping the bees in the Q8 for 2 days while they wait for your cells? I have just got some false Queen strips, I look forward to see how they work.

Picked up a new apiary today that has about 250 Pear trees ready to flower in the next week or two. No nectar to speak of from the pear flowers but bees will be in the middle of clover heavy pasture. I forsee bottled pears for winter deserts and lots of Pear Cider being made

That sounds good.

I love pear cider.:)

Ive been out and about today for a look and between showers the bees are flying.

Ive refrained from doing any grafts so far this year.

This coming week I will get started.

My focus this season on the breeding side is going to be on more quality and less quantity which will start at the larvae graft and finisher loading.

Checked on first spring mated queen this afternoon. Three frames like this in a five frame nuc.

20161002_155729.jpg.fe84321ca1e938c3830d21852ab35dfa.jpg

Thinking awesome! Got to frame five without sighting queen. I'm sure I marked her. Back through the frames looking for an unmarked queen. Still nothing. Hmmm. Cluster of bees on the inner cover? No. Oh dear! What's that on the grass? She must have been playing hide and seek on the bottom bar of the first frame and got caught. She looked lifeless but undamaged. Fainted maybe? Scooped her up and dropped her between the frames. She might wake up. If not I'll be back there tomorrow. Now if only I had a cell to drop in ;)

20161002_155729.jpg.fe84321ca1e938c3830d21852ab35dfa.jpg

One hazard of being a Beek.

On the boundary of one of my blocks is a lone isolated house.

The couple that live there are the type that just want to be left alone to live an uncomplicated life.

The husband phoned me today in an accusing tone and asked if I had been stealing his wife’s Knickers off the clothes line.

I went to see him and explained that I have sleepless nights already without being accused of this kind of thing.

We spoke about other possible suspects and I suggested he talk to his 4 dogs

How are you keeping the bees in the Q8 for 2 days while they wait for your cells? I have just got some false Queen strips, I look forward to see how they work.

I stuffed that part of the plan up! Fortunately for me a kind friend gave me some queen and brood pheromone to try out. Cells go in tomorrow or Tuesday so fingers crossed.

I stuffed that part of the plan up! Fortunately for me a kind friend gave me some queen and brood pheromone to try out. Cells go in tomorrow or Tuesday so fingers crossed.

What is the basis of this type of Pheromone?

Is it a synthesized pheromone or a Volatile

English, please?

This is it PseudoQueen

What I mean to ask is,

I note that you describe the PseudoQueen substance or device as "Queen and brood" Pheromone

My question relates to the method of production for the product.

Is it a chemical copy or is it a brew made up with a solvent that dissolves the Volatiles from within a mash.

My interest is in producing the latter and any information/ advice would be appreciated