Genaya

NZBF Herbicide help

Good morning all,

My hobby hive is located close to our neighbours property. It is a farm which he sprays herbicide on a couple of times a year. He is planning on spraying again soon, last time he used "Baton". He has asked me if there are any he should avoid, also saying he has a commercial bee operator on the property who hasn't had a problem with what he uses. I would rather err on the side on caution, if anyone can let me know what he should watch out for?

Thanks!

Baton and other 24D amine products are generally used after 1st sept to control thistles and flatweeds in pasture . They are less volatile than 24D ester products hence in northand anyway , 24D amine is used more , later in the spray season . As far as I know there arent any wetting agents in the spray , likely to affect the bees . your neighbour should leave a buffer zone along any sensitive boundaries to minimise spray drift . We tend to leave at least 100 m strip along built up areas and have a positive breeze in the right direction to avoid problems . The down side from a beekeepers point of veiw is that 24d takes out pretty much anything that is of use to a bee in pasture , including knocking back clover for a while . From a farmers point of veiw , a single well timed application , cleans most weeds out of the pasture , freeing up the summer for fishing and the grubber stays in the shed !

Just an afterthought , spraying at first light before the wind gets up , and while the bees are still in their hive makes good sense as well .

• Like 4

As @Jas said, go for the buffer zone around your hives if they are spraying that close.

You're bees will be at no more risk from a neighbouring paddock as apposed to one further away, which you don't know about.

Ideally, spraying would happen when there are no flowers about. One good reason why we do mid June.

As @Jas said, go for the buffer zone around your hives if they are spraying that close.

You're bees will be at no more risk from a neighbouring paddock as apposed to one further away, which you don't know about.

Ideally, spraying would happen when there are no flowers about. One good reason why we do mid June.

Thanks Matt, btw the MAQS are working a treat! Thanks so much

• Like 1

If we are going to spray anything herbicide, insecticide or fungicide I lock bees up night before and throw a cover over the hives. They are too expensive to risk in my opinion.

• Like 2

Does roundup require the same caution? Iv had some poeple say its not a problem and others say no problem. We are looking after a small commercial operation on my Beekeepers course at the moment and when we turned up on Saturday the paddock next to it had been sprayed during the week before and we were not told about it until we got there.

Does roundup require the same caution? Iv had some poeple say its not a problem and others say no problem. We are looking after a small commercial operation on my Beekeepers course at the moment and when we turned up on Saturday the paddock next to it had been sprayed during the week before and we were not told about it until we got there.

There is plenty of conflicting advice from both camps out there. Some places in the world have banned it . Others claim it's harmless.

It is a herbicide . Handle it with the caution it deserves .

In reality, none of us are old enough to know if there are long term problems with our health or the bees, but I will say it is used heavily in horticulture and agriculture, as well as by home gardeners

• Like 1

There is plenty of conflicting advice from both camps out there. Some places in the world have banned it . Others claim it's harmless.

It is a herbicide . Handle it with the caution it deserves .

In reality, none of us are old enough to know if there are long term problems with our health or the bees, but I will say it is used heavily in horticulture and agriculture, as well as by home gardeners

Thanks. I just hope that it doesn't knock them around too much as they are nucs and are not doing the best before that was applyed. The grass hadn't started to yollow so must of only been a day or two before. I don't use any weed sprays at home since iv had my bees here.