Anyone done there swarm preventing splits yet?

I have been doing a lot of reading about swarm preventing splits, a lot of info to take in! Some times I have been completly confused and feel like I haven't achieved much in knowing what to do, I have found queen cups in all three hives, no eggs in cups in two hives, but 1 hive ( the strongest ) had a queen cup with a small lavae inside swimming in jelly, now my alarm bells are ringing, I have created more room by swapping brood boxes and reagganging some frames and adding a honey super which is getting drawn out.

It would be good to hear from other beekeepers if they have already done a split (or about to) and what type of split they done.

I am also wondering if all splits can be used as swarm prevention splits, or do only certain type of splits work to stop the need for swarming?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also wondering if all splits can be used as swarm prevention splits, or do only certain type of splits work to stop the need for swarming?

Search titled Swarm and posted by Dave Black. Lots of interesting write ups. I'm revising in preparation.

splitting for swarm control is last resort.

do all the frame swapping, making room etc well before they get to making queen cells stage.

use the strong ones to booster the weaker ones.

just by taking a frame or two of brood can slow it down enough so it doesn't over populate before honey flow is on.

but if its massively strong, its going to swarm any minute now and flow is still a while away, then by all means split the hive.

My 3/4 hive at home is 3 brood box and a honey box on top...last look inside was 10 - 14 days ago ,queen had come up into honey box and started laying...there was larvae and sealed brood on newly drawn out frames x 2.I shuffled frames around and put these 2 frames into third brood box and moved some drawn outs up into honey box.All frames are covered in bees and during a fine day,plenty of activity out front,piling up at entrance etc.Looks chockers too me.

Im guessing its a likely candidate for splitting.Do I check for any swarm cells or just go ahead and split?

And due to timing and also money constraints,I was thinking of doing some walk away split nucs?

My 3/4 hive at home is 3 brood box and a honey box on top...last look inside was 10 - 14 days ago ,queen had come up into honey box and started laying...there was larvae and sealed brood on newly drawn out frames x 2.I shuffled frames around and put these 2 frames into third brood box and moved some drawn outs up into honey box.All frames are covered in bees and during a fine day,plenty of activity out front,piling up at entrance etc.Looks chockers too me.

Im guessing its a likely candidate for splitting.Do I check for any swarm cells or just go ahead and split?

And due to timing and also money constraints,I was thinking of doing some walk away split nucs?

Timing is a concern for me also, only can check hives in the weekend, so I'm thinking if a split is needed to be done, I should do it sooner rather than later, also the weather always seems to be not favourable at weekend to.

I have been doing a lot of reading about swarm preventing splits, a lot of info to take in! Some times I have been completly confused and feel like I haven't achieved much in knowing what to do, I have found queen cups in all three hives, no eggs in cups in two hives, but 1 hive ( the strongest ) had a queen cup with a small lavae inside swimming in jelly, now my alarm bells are ringing, I have created more room by swapping brood boxes and reagganging some frames and adding a honey super which is getting drawn out.

It would be good to hear from other beekeepers if they have already done a split (or about to) and what type of split they done.

Y

Timing is a concern for me also, only can check hives in the weekend, so I'm thinking if a split is needed to be done, I should do it sooner rather than later, also the weather always seems to be not favourable at weekend to.

Unless you have some mated queens to put in your splits it may be a bit risky to split right now.

Y

Unless you have some mated queens to put in your splits it may be a bit risky to split right now.

I am just following along with Darrens thread and am asking for advice to if you don't mind,Philbee...

In my situation,I could maybe remove a complete box from the three,make sure it queenless and then add a mated queen?That way Il only need to purchase one queen for now...wait another month,when hopefully weather has settled and then think about the walkaway split nucs..my reasoning for the walkaways was 1: give them a bit more time for the process of making queen ,weather be better,and a good population of drones about..

2: cost and from what ive been reading later season queens seem to have better chance of mating?

Im sorta in the same thinking as Darren,in that,prevent swarming sooner rather than later..I don't have a lot of hives.

@HSV_Darren - I had two hives (1xFD brood and 1x3/4 stores set up) come through winter, which this year for the West Coast was quite mild, and to cut a longer story even shorter, they were really strong....both had queens, were packing in stores had drones in abundance and not a lot of room. Both hives did their own queen cells (in the middle of the frame so assumed supercedure) and I figured they knew more than I did. (y)

So, after consideration, rumination and lots of Marlborough Pinot, :whistle: I decided to go with the bee's and took a 5 frame split from each and ensured both nucs had frames of brood, stores and a frame with the queen cell on. Rather that I figured than risk swarming. That was 10 days ago...I checked yesterday and both queen cells had been chewed. Couldn't find the newly hatched ladies (yet) but again happy to go with the bee's and leave them to it.

Now have two strong hives that will be looking for more space and two nucs that are doing rather well on their own.

I was very nervous on making the splits at this time, but went with what I saw rather than what I expected to see.

:)

• Like 2
I am just following along with Darrens thread and am asking for advice to if you don't mind,Philbee...

In my situation,I could maybe remove a complete box from the three,make sure it queenless and then add a mated queen?That way Il only need to purchase one queen for now...wait another month,when hopefully weather has settled and then think about the walkaway split nucs..my reasoning for the walkaways was 1: give them a bit more time for the process of making queen ,weather be better,and a good population of drones about..

2: cost and from what ive been reading later season queens seem to have better chance of mating?

Im sorta in the same thinking as Darren,in that,prevent swarming sooner rather than later..I don't have a lot of hives.

Personally my course of action right now would be to do whatever it takes to postpone splitting or buying mated Queens untill the weather has settled.

This is based upon my local observations of weather and the long range forcasts

It may be that there are breeders in the country that are experiencing good mating conditions but personally for the sake of a few weeks Im would (and am) holding back.

Id be keeping an eye out for swarm cells and adding a box of drawn comb below the stores for the queen to lay in if shes running out of room

Personally my course of action right now would be to do whatever it takes to postpone splitting or buying mated Queens untill the weather has settled.

This is based upon my local observations of weather and the long range forcasts

It may be that there are breeders in the country that are experiencing good mating conditions but personally for the sake of a few weeks Im would (and am) holding back.

Id be keeping an eye out for swarm cells and adding a box of drawn comb below the stores for the queen to lay in if shes running out of room

Thanks for the advise! My queen doesn't appear to be running out of room as I swapped brood boxes around a few weeks back and rearrange frames to give her more room, but she went straight up the middle of the boxes and layed in the bottom of the honey frames while there were space around the brood nest, this is the hive with the lavae in the queen cup, I guess I will have to keep a close eye on the queen cup and see what the bees do with it.

I was not meaning to split a hive. It's an experimental 5 frame langstroth/ 5 top bar hybrid. Took out 3 frames for the observation hive on Saturday for the Otari Open Day. Was pondering to split or not. This evening found the observation hive with two queen cells. Thus the bees made decision for me to split.

• Like 1
I was not meaning to split a hive. It's an experimental 5 frame langstroth/ 5 top bar hybrid. Took out 3 frames for the observation hive on Saturday for the Otari Open Day. Was pondering to split or not. This evening found the observation hive with two queen cells. Thus the bees made decision for me to split.

Hi P K, will you purchase a queen for the split or let the bees raise their own, I'm concerned about the wellington weather not being ideal for a raised queen.

If its not a good queen, I'll combine the hive for a bigger harvest. One of the cell was among eggs. The other is right at the corner of the frame amoung nectar. Probably a moved egg. Quite surprised I did not loose a lot of foragers back to the original hive. I blocked up the entrance of the original hive to see how many trying to get in. Added a frame of pollen facing the queen cell. I should have mangled the pollen and honey to make them feed to produce more royal jelly. Will do it maybe in the morning.

Plenty of time to spare for making splits. Just do the swarm management and think about queens and splitting mid October. Especially when you have few hives to play with. This time of year you can end up wasting a lot of brood and resources.

I think I have told you my story. A couple of seasons ago I had 7 hives and split those out to 50 nucs. All of that started in November through to March, and using cells. Heaps of time to play with yet.

Plenty of time to spare for making splits. Just do the swarm management and think about queens and splitting mid October. Especially when you have few hives to play with. This time of year you can end up wasting a lot of brood and resources.

I think I have told you my story. A couple of seasons ago I had 7 hives and split those out to 50 nucs. All of that started in November through to March, and using cells. Heaps of time to play with yet.

LOL Yes remember my mid November nucs from you and Jared, some of those wintered as 3 box hives as I just couldnt squeeze them down any further.

Yes I remember that story...but you know what its like for a newbie..keen as mustard,wana do everything yesterday,impatient as !!! Lol

;)

I am still impatient. And by December I have forgotten the slow spring build up and loving all the strong hives.