Sonbee

NZBF Is this what purchased queen cells should look like?

I believe that was me and no they are not my cells, you got to be careful putting dots together with a lack of critical points, for example I use Jenter cups. :) The fact is I haven't sold not even one cell, so far I've given away excess.

Some to me and I also got to have a look round beefree's setup he's put in a lot of effort to get the smallest detail right . So before anyone starts putting 2 and 2 together and getting 24 could be a chance to name said seller I use the same cups and have cells coming out this weekend will try and get some photo's.

And yes I would not but cells that look like that

You said it was a newbee advertising on trademe totara bees are relatively new the other has been around for many years

I don't know why secrecy about who it is, f u no or its someone e from the forum ,own up...jus b upfront,sort it out...and move on and learn from it.No real need to bag anyone unless its life or family threatening..we all make mistakes.

If you don't want it public ,don't put on public forum...my 2 cents worth

You said it was a newbee advertising on trademe totara bees are relatively new the other has been around for many years

And that's where things go wrong as Darren has said he uses a jenter kit.

A good reputation is hard won but a bad one happens at a drop of a hat .

Would be a shame to blame another business for these cells .

@Sonbee , i assume these are not the only once you bought but the worst examples, right?

how many cell did you buy all up?

i also think it's nothing wrong with naming/shaming in this respect.

the vendor could/should have biffed them if he had any pride.

he could have offered those as free extras or at least warned the customer that there are a few dwarfs in there.

but instead he just handed them over without comment and when asked replied "they are viable".

agree with most comments that size of a cell isn't everything but there is a limit and those cells are a joke - and it's not funny.

there are many things out of the control of a breeder. not even taking care of something that is so easy to control like the size of cells you are selling just indicates the wrong attitude full stop.

Whoa slow down, It wasnt you I was referring to at all. I dont know you. And to be honest I dont know what your on about.:devil:

As Frazz said you did quote someone new, advertising on Trademe and I did talk to someone off forum regarding cells, which sounds awfully like me. However weird coinsidences happen, sorry if I was mistaken. Point is I had to make it clear and pulled my trademe ad as I didn't want people to confuse me for this other guy and I had very little interest for cells anyway, everyone wants queens or nucs.

Nothing personal intended to anyone. :)

While several people could name the most likely suspect, and not just by his handle on the forum (yes, a member sold these to another member IMHO), but also by his latest Ltd Co. and by legal name ... only the OP @Sonbee KNOWS who the cells came from. So no guessing games please.

As Frazz said you did quote someone new, advertising on Trademe and I did talk to someone off forum regarding cells, which sounds awfully like me. However weird coinsidences happen, sorry if I was mistaken. Point is I had to make it clear and pulled my trademe ad as I didn't want people to confuse me for this other guy and I had very little interest for cells anyway, everyone wants queens or nucs.

Nothing personal intended to anyone. :)

Thank you, and maybe I have learnt a life lesson with regards to forums.

Thank you, and maybe I have learnt a life lesson with regards to forums.

Think this is the best thing to date on this post I've learned this the hard way .

I know it's easy to get things so so wrong

And to the original poster if you run into trouble with the cells we can probably help you out depends on how many cells we need

Think this is the best thing to date on this post I've learned this the hard way .

I know it's easy to get things so so wrong

And to the original poster if you run into trouble with the cells we can probably help you out depends on how many cells we need

Should of also said you would have to pick them up from Kirwee I do a good coffee though

$7 +GST.

$1.00 per mm incl gst

That puts mine out of reach of most

The cells we produce are generally a little on the small side but we use the Jenter kit parts, no matter how strong the starter/finisher is, or how well it is fed or how few I run they seem to run a little on the small side. Though my hatch rate has been well over 90%.

I suspect there is a normal range of cell size that has no bearing on quality of queen, I recall it was discussed somewhere else on this thread that "large" cells does not mean "better" queens, but I would be concerned about the ones you have.

If they don't work out Sonbee, we have plenty of spare cells going every week.

The cells we produce are generally a little on the small side but we use the Jenter kit parts, no matter how strong the starter/finisher is, or how well it is fed or how few I run they seem to run a little on the small side. Though my hatch rate has been well over 90%.

I suspect there is a normal range of cell size that has no bearing on quality of queen, I recall it was discussed somewhere else on this thread that "large" cells does not mean "better" queens, but I would be concerned about the ones you have.

If they don't work out Sonbee, we have plenty of spare cells going every week.

Thank you. I'll see what happens by the end of the weekend.

Most were only 2 or 3 mm long. Several were only wax over the cup.

@Sonbee , i assume these are not the only once you bought but the worst examples, right?

how many cell did you buy all up?

i also think it's nothing wrong with naming/shaming in this respect.

the vendor could/should have biffed them if he had any pride.

he could have offered those as free extras or at least warned the customer that there are a few dwarfs in there.

but instead he just handed them over without comment and when asked replied "they are viable".

agree with most comments that size of a cell isn't everything but there is a limit and those cells are a joke - and it's not funny.

there are many things out of the control of a breeder. not even taking care of something that is so easy to control like the size of cells you are selling just indicates the wrong attitude full stop.

Sorry, I've got a bit lost by who's said what.

I am a hobbyist and beginner with three years experience. This is the first time I've purchased queen cell rather than doing my own.

I was surprised by what I brought so thought I would ask the beginners forum if this is really what to expect from a commercial queen breeder as its differently not what my own queens cells looked like.

These were the only cells that I purchased for $7 plus GST each.

If I'd order a large quantity and got several looking like that I guess I could have accepted it but these were all that I ordered and purchased.

They were ready for me when I picked them up and I was hurried back to my car. I did not look at them until I got home. My mistake. When I spoke to the breeder later in the day and asked if he had looked at what he had sold me he said there was nothing wrong with them. I felt intimidated by his attitude.

I did not want to name and shame as several people have said small is not a bad thing and I was going to wait until after the weekend to see if any hatched. Small is small and I get that's ok but a bit of wax over a cell cup??

Anyway I have learnt, look before I part with my money and do not go though with the sale if I'm not happy with what I see.

Also I will name the firm as I do not want people speculating on who it is and quality breeders been put under speculation and also to warn other beginners and hobbyists so they can learn from my mistakes.

The breeder was Queenbeez based in Redwood, Christchurch.

I will post the outcome of the hatchings after the weekend so everyone can draw their own conclusions.

• Like 4

the fact that you felt intimidated and rushed out the gate is worse than the cells themselfs.

• Like 1

the fact that you felt intimidated and rushed out the gate is worse than the cells themselfs.

Dead right KiwiFruiter, there is a breed of bloke out there that will happily steal from a woman.

They were ready for me when I picked them up and I was hurried back to my car. I did not look at them until I got home. My mistake.

not your mistake at all. IMHO this guy ripped you off.

I will post the outcome of the hatchings after the weekend so everyone can draw their own conclusions.

i wouldn't waist a nuc on those cell. you are lucky if they don't hatch.

i'd let them hatch in the incubator or break them open to have a look (they taste all right by the way. a bit like sweet peanuts. but an expensive snack all right).

honestly, this queenbeez guy should hop in the car an bring you a few proper replacements and apologize.

Thanks @Sonbee for the clarification. The whole thing sounds like it's run by some mafia... someone better clear its act pronto, or there will be very little business coming it's way...

Now that the breeder has been named please be mindful and clear about what is fact and what is opinion in your posts. Thanks

Now that the breeder has been named please be mindful and clear about what is fact and what is opinion in your posts. Thanks

Perhaps his attention could be drawn to this thread ?

In a way this entire thread shows the importance of having a mentor network... In this sort of setting it is too hard to have a properly fair and balanced argument with all the facts known. IMHO this is the sort of thing a mentor would be really good for, that way he or she could look them over without relying on a photo and pass judgement there and then while being able to discuss all aspects of the transaction.

In a way this entire thread shows the importance of having a mentor network..

Isn't this forum a mentor network ?

• Like 1

Isn't this forum a mentor network ?

Kind of but not really. In this case the OP can not control who sees the info and we can not real time ask detailed questions. There is also a reluctance to share details on the internet, because, well it is the internet.

• Like 1

The breeder was Queenbeez based in Redwood, Christchurch.

According to the Trademe blurb this mob has 20years experience?

The plot does thicken as it appears that this trader possibly has two Trademe accounts.

Someone correct me if they know differently,

Might be another company with similar name which if is the case should be clarified to protect the innocent party

Todays cells I pulled out for incubator, only reason I posting photo is if you note the two different cell cups used but similar sized cells produced.IMAG0367.jpg.399bf7d62b84786d157f2a1212591cf0.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg.399bf7d62b84786d157f2a1212591cf0.jpg

• Like 4

Todays cells I pulled out for incubator, only reason I posting photo is if you note the two different cell cups used but similar sized cells produced.[ATTACH=full]14855[/ATTACH]

The two on the top left look a little small ;-)

• Like 1

lol yea, I might sell those ones.