Sonbee

NZBF Is this what purchased queen cells should look like?

Just to clarify my comments-I have had good queens result from cells that size and I feel you should not judge them until they have mated and showen their colours.

fair enough, and theres no need to name, but still a good question sometimes ones like this are the hardest to talk about because no one is proud of some bad results just like some are to scared to admit they have AFB and hide it. I have often wondered how these cells turn out.

I asked a similar question of a breeder just recently. The fragile period is days 8-10 as the queen pupates. These cells were described as two days off emerging so they're out of the danger zone. Lying them over gently should do no harm.

Thanks. That's what I expected to see when I pulled them out.

fair enough, and theres no need to name, but still a good question sometimes ones like this are the hardest to talk about because no one is proud of some bad results just like some are to scared to admit they have AFB and hide it. I have often wondered how these cells turn out.

I will let you know in a few days and the end of the season if any get that far.

Yep, nor was I passing judgement on the breeder, just stating things as I found them.

Regardless the size and/or quality of cell, there is something that we are missing: the relationship. It doesn't matter if this is the first time you buy a Queen cell and if, upon inspection, the size turned out to be not-what-expected or acceptable. When I am out on a new mission, I ask questions, smile, make chatter and check then and there. This puts everyone in a position of learning and teaching, and establishes a relationship that may or may not flourish in the future, but if you don't invest a bit of time, it is hard to expect the other part to feel engaged in the business. Good luck with your queens.

they are very small.

They have either been raised in a weak hive or there has been far too many cells in the one finisher.

To think that someone put their name to those for a few lousy bucks is amazing.

Yes I have to totally agree, I would be embarrassed to ask for money for these, they are give aways or rubbish tin material.

Having said that you can certainly get good queens from small cells but those are really tiny.

I would be interested to know how long they gave been in business

• Like 2

Regardless the size and/or quality of cell, there is something that we are missing: the relationship. It doesn't matter if this is the first time you buy a Queen cell and if, upon inspection, the size turned out to be not-what-expected or acceptable. When I am out on a new mission, I ask questions, smile, make chatter and check then and there. This puts everyone in a position of learning and teaching, and establishes a relationship that may or may not flourish in the future, but if you don't invest a bit of time, it is hard to expect the other part to feel engaged in the business. Good luck with your queens.

Sorry Sill29er but Im having trouble understanding your post.

Are you suggesting that this purchase is part of a learning curve?

Yeah nah @Philbee. In either case, why we don't check? If someone has earned our trust so as to not needing to check, then we sick it up and quietly make a note to check next time. If your business is important, you want the know what you are getting and where from, whether it's a car or a business or mated queens or nucs or even Queen cells. The OP explained that it was the first time he had bought queen cells, but he (or she) has raised his own from time to time. It's time to take responsibility, and if things didn't go as expected (we didn't t know yet) then we learn and share our findings.

Thats right Frazz...How long have you been queen breeding should be the first question, and like you, I wouldn't sell these.

Small cells indicate poor development means less spermathica means less egg laying and poor longevity. Why waste all that effort to maybe get a queen that won't last a season nor be able to lay 2000 eggs a day for buildup. Whoever you bought these off has no breeding knowledge, no shame and is an example of greed.

I have spoken to the person that produced those cells a few weeks back, has an advert in Trademe.

From talking to him, pretty new in the game. Not that hard to put the dots together.

Ahh, we'll everyone wants to be a beekeeper or a queen breeder...it's easy don't you know

You wouldnt bag a car before driving, you shouldnt bag queens until you have seen them mate.

Unless you were very fast and gentle lieing them on their side like that, you would have done more damage to them than being in a small cell would have done.

Should queen cells always be verticle.

If they are posted do they have a , this way up sticker, on them

Should queen cells always be verticle.

If they are posted do they have a , this way up sticker, on them

All the cell carriers I have borrowed have had a this way up sticker....

Seriously bad cells, I would expect any queens from these to be superceeded on the main flow, if they last that long. Name & shame to save others from your experience.

I do queens for ourselves, this size are my throw aways. About once a season will get a batch like that because I have misjudged a flow. There has been a flow lack (natural or artifical ) of sugar, nectar, pollen/ pollen sub. Or as someone said the finisher is not strong enough.

I'm interested to know what you @Sonbee paid for them

lots Of interesting comments here. Again to the queen breeders I am curious how many cells do you finish in a cell builder? we have been doing 40 for years but have now cut back to 26, we have been finding it difficult to get the royal jelly levels in cells high these days? so trying that. We have only been doing cells for 6-7 years on a serious scale and I will be the first to admit we do not have excellent system, every year we improve and I think we are close to having a system that suits our management in fact I am feeling really good about this year we have started using a incubator now I reckon that's going to work really well for us, Don't get me wrong we doing ok but my point is even after this long I would not say we are professional.

• Like 1

I do queens for ourselves, this size are my throw aways. About once a season will get a batch like that because I have misjudged a flow. There has been a flow lack (natural or artifical ) of sugar, nectar, pollen/ pollen sub. Or as someone said the finisher is not strong enough.

I'm interested to know what you @Sonbee paid for them

$7 +GST.

Start up to 64 cells in the starter but at 24 hours they go to a finisher no more than 18 cells per finisher.

Didn't want to get dragged into this as I didn't want to publicly critisize somebody & I don't know who they are, Frazz is likely the same let's just say the no comment may speak volumes.

That's fair enough Alastair, no need to criticize anyone but what's your experience of viability and longevity of queens from overly small cells like these?

We start 60 in a starter and 10-15 in a finisher.

A good cell should have Royal jelly left over, not all our cells will have that excess but in general you know that particular queen has not gone hungry during development.

I agree name and shame.

After it was mentioned on here the seller was a new breeder on trademe I had a look and I know by name both of those selling cells in Canterbury, the newbee is NOT the one who sold these cells.

The cells we produce are generally a little on the small side but we use the Jenter kit parts, no matter how strong the starter/finisher is, or how well it is fed or how few I run they seem to run a little on the small side. Though my hatch rate has been well over 90%.

I suspect there is a normal range of cell size that has no bearing on quality of queen, I recall it was discussed somewhere else on this thread that "large" cells does not mean "better" queens, but I would be concerned about the ones you have.

If they don't work out Sonbee, we have plenty of spare cells going every week.

• Like 1

That's fair enough Alastair, no need to criticize anyone but what's your experience of viability and longevity of queens from overly small cells like these?
I have sometimes had cells like that but never used them so not able to comment sorry.
  • Like 1

I have spoken to the person that produced those cells a few weeks back, has an advert in Trademe.

From talking to him, pretty new in the game. Not that hard to put the dots together.

I believe that was me and no they are not my cells, you got to be careful putting dots together with a lack of critical points, for example I use Jenter cups. :) The fact is I haven't sold not even one cell, so far I've given away excess.

• Like 4

I believe that was me and no they are not my cells, you got to be careful putting dots together with a lack of critical points, for example I use Jenter cups. :) The fact is I haven't sold not even one cell, so far I've given away excess.

Whoa slow down, It wasnt you I was referring to at all. I dont know you. And to be honest I dont know what your on about.:devil: