Philbee

Accurate definition of the 200m rule for Apiary registration

Has anyone got an accurate definition of the 200m rule for Apiary registration

Has anyone got an accurate definition of the 200m rule for Apiary registration

It's in the AFBPMP. Hives within 200m of each other may be considered one apiary. As soon as the gap between a hive and the group exceeds 200m then you have a second apiary.

So in theory a line of beehives spaced 199m from each other all the way from Wellington to Kaitaia could be considered one apiary.

• Like 1

This also covers address of the land so if on another land title you need to note it, I made a special note on mine last year as this rule is poorly written in my opinion.

It's in the AFBPMP. Hives within 200m of each other may be considered one apiary. As soon as the gap between a hive and the group exceeds 200m then you have a second apiary.

So in theory a line of beehives spaced 199m from each other all the way from Wellington to Kaitaia could be considered one apiary.

Yes I agree with that Rob but I have read another definition that is slightly different.

Last year I got stung with a high Apiary tally and could easily use your interpretation of the rule to lower my tally.

Im working on it this moment and have had just about enough of the Apiweb site.

Its temping to enter it into a excel chart here and send it in to them to enter into their site.

Id say my legal obligation would be met

This also covers address of the land so if on another land title you need to note it, I made a special note on mine last year as this rule is poorly written in my opinion.

The whole system is budget

No mention in the PMP of apiaries spanning titles. Commonsense (mine) would say just note the multiple occupiers in the description. No reason why an address can't span titles. Commercial property is often listed as crossing titles, eg 50-64 Xyz Street. So long as the address accurately locates the apiary it is a valid address.

image.jpeg.badb5d9f9b91398553dcd5b8e351719e.jpeg

image.jpeg.badb5d9f9b91398553dcd5b8e351719e.jpeg

No, it couldn't, and that was highlighted in the beginners' beekeeping course you did a year or two ago.

I believe it was under the section titled "Don't be a dick".

The wording may be vaguely ambiguous, but I think you'll find the interpretation the Management Agency takes is that ALL hives should be within 200 metres of all other hives in the same apiary (from past conversations with Frans Laas and Rex Baynes)

The wording may be vaguely ambiguous

It's not ambiguous at all. The wording is very clear. It may be wrong but it's not ambiguous.

No, it couldn't, and that was highlighted in the beginners' beekeeping course you did a year or two ago.

The wording may be vaguely ambiguous, but I think you'll find the interpretation the Management Agency takes is that ALL hives should be within 200 metres of all other hives in the same apiary (from past conversations with Frans Laas and Rex Baynes)

That may be what they want but it isnt what is written.

No mention in the PMP of apiaries spanning titles. Commonsense (mine) would say just note the multiple occupiers in the description. No reason why an address can't span titles. Commercial property is often listed as crossing titles, eg 50-64 Xyz Street. So long as the address accurately locates the apiary it is a valid address.

[ATTACH=full]14818[/ATTACH]

I recon my excel chart meets that requirement

Just pay the fee Man. It's all for the greater good. You are successful so just pay it.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, would I be correct that the manuka cowboys would consolidate their hives to winter sites by 31 Mar each year? We've seen mega apiaries here in HB of 40-60 hives putting pressure on autumn forage. One of these apiaries would set you back about $15 in levies.

Imagine those same hives kept in the back country spaced out to reduce pressure on forage. If you applied a strict 200m rule they could set you back $60 or more. Same number of hives grouped geographically just further apart. Doesn't seem fair.

• Like 1

Have you been taking lessons from PBee ?

I know some one that didn't do it right and now he can't sell one lot of honey to the EU which cost more the the $15 to register the site

Not worth it in the long run and yes they are starting to pick on the big boys like finding all the unregistered site this year with the helicopter and a lot more got registered after that to and I hear they May do the same area this year to we see what happen

• Like 2

I know some one that didn't do it right and now he can't sell one lot of honey to the EU which cost more the the $15 to register the site

Not worth it in the long run and yes they are starting to pick on the big boys like finding all the unregistered site this year with the helicopter and a lot more got registered after that to and I hear they May do the same area this year to we see what happen

My grumble has two parts .

First is about the rule and how it applies to bush sites.

If you scatter hives through a large bush site it cost heaps.

Second is the cumbersome nature of the Apiweb site when used to register bush sites.

Last night I deleted all my sites from Apiweb and prepared a spreadsheet with all the required information on it.

This will be emailed to them.

It seems ridiculous to me that multiple sites 300m apart need to have all the same data entered into such a cumbersome form.

A spread sheet allows for effective copy /paste/ edit etc.

The Apiweb map is a waste of time for bush blocks.

• Like 1

It be a waste of time if they don't take it and then you have to fill it in again before harvest your next crop of honey

It be a waste of time if they don't take it and then you have to fill it in again before harvest your next crop of honey

We we see as Ive just sent it.

I will be very surprised if they dont accept it as it complies with the current law.

but I think you'll find the interpretation the Management Agency takes is that ALL hives should be within 200 metres of all other hives in the same apiary

Thats the first time I ever heard of that. :(

Whats more its not about trying to cut corners or pull the wool over etc

Its about about being able to effectively and efficiently meet my legal obigations.

IMO the Apiweb site impedes me in this regard.

Whats more its not about trying to cut corners or pull the wool over etc

Its about about being able to effectively and efficiently meet my legal obigations.

IMO the Apiweb site impedes me in this regard.

I agree with what you say, but the online system is only fairly new and for most people it will save them time and be easier than the paper versions. It should cost way less to run so the AFBPMP should be saving money which should ultimately be available to improve it further so it works for more people. As I understand it filling out forms on paper and posting them is still an option and always has been. On the basis that for 80% of people it has been a 100% improvement, I think you are being too harsh and/or on the red wine. I agree it is very clunky, it would have been possible to do a fast responsive version on google documents, but IT idiots always want to feather their own nests with custom stuff that keeps them employed siting all sorts of security and privacy issues, like their stuff is bullet proof but nobody else's is. Entire governments keep them employed producing mediocre systems and MPI would be expert in that.

I agree with what you say, but the online system is only fairly new and for most people it will save them time and be easier than the paper versions. It should cost way less to run so the AFBPMP should be saving money which should ultimately be available to improve it further so it works for more people. As I understand it filling out forms on paper and posting them is still an option and always has been. On the basis that for 80% of people it has been a 100% improvement, I think you are being too harsh and/or on the red wine. I agree it is very clunky, it would have been possible to do a fast responsive version on google documents, but IT idiots always want to feather their own nests with custom stuff that keeps them employed siting all sorts of security and privacy issues, like their stuff is bullet proof but nobody else's is. Entire governments keep them employed producing mediocre systems and MPI would be expert in that.

I have just recieved a phone call from MPI and Ive further explained my concerns.

The Apiweb software is 20 years old and unable to be improved.

There is a replacement planned.

In the meantime I will supply electronic data via spreadsheet which satisfies the legal requirement.

• Like 1

the apiweb has been running for a few years now there topics on here about over the years I complained about it as soon as it was launched, I could believe for the money spent setting it up they did a pretty poor job. anyway after some constructive criticism, and been told yes we will be changing this and that, not much has changed I gave up

the apiweb has been running for a few years now there topics on here about over the years I complained about it as soon as it was launched, I could believe for the money spent setting it up they did a pretty poor job. anyway after some constructive criticism, and been told yes we will be changing this and that, not much has changed I gave up

The response from Sheryl has been excellent and she is happy for me to supply my data in the excel format.

Im happy

yea Sheryl is good, she's helped me heaps

I take it at it's word: <200m between the next closest hive. But I don't think that it's useful to pinpoint your apiary to Wellington, and expect someone to find the rest of your apiary on some trail to Kaitaia. In a biosecurity emergency I want them to know where my hives are, and they're not going to find them among the bush unaided even from the air, so I pinpoint each hive or group of hives that are not visible from another. Yes, the Apiweb map is not intuitive: took literally hours do in 6 attempts over several days.

The response from Sheryl has been excellent and she is happy for me to supply my data in the excel format.

Im happy

Yep, any way to accurately pinpoint and quickly locate hives.

I take it at it's word: <200m between the next closest hive. But I don't think that it's useful to pinpoint your apiary to Wellington, and expect someone to find the rest of your apiary on some trail to Kaitaia. In a biosecurity emergency I want them to know where my hives are, and they're not going to find them among the bush unaided even from the air, so I pinpoint each hive or group of hives that are not visible from another. Yes, the Apiweb map is not intuitive: took literally hours do in 6 attempts over several days.

Yep, any way to accurately pinpoint and quickly locate hives.

The only way I can identify an Apiary location is from google earth. (other than with a handheld gps)

Do you guys know if you go to the maps part (show maps) to add an apiary, theres a little blue+ button on the right hand side boarder of the maps click on that and it opens up layers, click on ecan orthos, click that layer and you should get a google map looking layer its much better for adding sites, this however sometimes plays up currently I can only get Canterbury clear at the moment not sure if that's me or the system. If the system was bit more 2016 not 2000 it would probably get more use.